2015 Spring Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2015 Spring Football

My OPINION as I have no idea to the inner workings of the team or who the staff is high on, who shines in practice, etc, etc, etc...

I'd like to see Gandy get a shot. He's shown himself to be capable, and made a few big plays when he was a sophomore.

I know Mangerelli took Gandy's spot as the backup last year. But I didn't see the strength/size from him to be the "every down" back that SDSU uses.

Who knows? I've heard (probably on here) that the staff was high on Rodriguez and Wallace too? Maybe this year they go with the dreaded "RB by committee"?

The team will definately look different without Zenner, Sumner, and Schneider out there.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
      My OPINION as I have no idea to the inner workings of the team or who the staff is high on, who shines in practice, etc, etc, etc...

I'd like to see Gandy get a shot. He's shown himself to be capable, and made a few big plays when he was a sophomore.

I know Mangerelli took Gandy's spot as the backup last year. But I didn't see the strength/size from him to be the "every down" back that SDSU uses.

Who knows? I've heard (probably on here) that the staff was high on Rodriguez and Wallace too? Maybe this year they go with the dreaded "RB by committee"?

The team will definately look different without Zenner, Sumner, and Schneider out there.
      This isn't going to help Zimmer at all, but I remember TV saying that Wallace is the likely heir apparent to Zenner. The love him, he was killing it on scout team and came here because of Zenner. QB is where I am most concerned about. Curious to see what is up.
      in the case of TV, we were spoiled rotten for the coverage we got from him, and now that he is gone I notice the lack of coverage. I don't blame Zimmer, he has too many areas he is covering. SDSU being the #1 school in the state requires a dedicated beat guy who can cover another team on the side. I follow Zimmer and TV on Twitter and I STILL seem to get get more info from Terry than Zimmer, on stadium progress.

Comment

Gotta love these videos they put out.

https://t.co/OurL8dDN11

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
          This isn't going to help Zimmer at all, but I remember TV saying that Wallace is the likely heir apparent to Zenner. The love him, he was killing it on scout team and came here because of Zenner. QB is where I am most concerned about. Curious to see what is up.
          in the case of TV, we were spoiled rotten for the coverage we got from him, and now that he is gone I notice the lack of coverage. I don't blame Zimmer, he has too many areas he is covering. SDSU being the #1 school in the state requires a dedicated beat guy who can cover another team on the side. I follow Zimmer and TV on Twitter and I STILL seem to get get more info from Terry than Zimmer, on stadium progress.
          Convince more people to subscribe to a newspaper that is on its last legs and maybe SDSU gets a stand alone beat writer.

When putting together the budget I assume that a writer dedicated to one aspect of one school is a expenditure that doesn't really show much profit.
          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I love taking cracks at projecting the 2 deep depth chart. Here's what I'm going with so far.

QB - JR Lujan, Zach / RFR Little, Chris
            I think Zach did a pretty good job of holding down the fort last season with Sumner out. Little might have more talent, but this coaching staff tends to side on experience so Little would have to really impress to earn the start as a Freshman.

HB - SO Mengarelli, Brady / SR Gandy, Reggie
            I'm expecting big things from Mengarelli next season and thought he looked pretty legit for a freshman.

FB - SR STREHLOW, CHAD / So Louscher, Kane

WR1 - SO WIENEKE, JAKE / SR Jones, Larves
            WR2 - SR Andrews, Brandon / Jr Landberg, Connor
            Slot - SR WESLEY, TREVOR / Fr Lewis, Marquise
            Wieneke is a star and will make either of our QBs look good. Andrews and Landberg are probably interchangeable. I hope to see more consistency catching the ball from Wesley now that he is a senior, and I think the true freshman might get a chance to take over in the slot. If Lewis isn't ready, Matt Raymond would fill that spot.

TE - SR JONES, CAM / So Goedert, Dallas
            Would love to see a fully healthy Cam Jones catching balls down the middle of the field

LT - SO Harmon, Charlie / Jr Carr, Nick
            The Siverling/Carr combo was rough at times last season, especially against Emanuel of NDSU.
            LG - SR SEITER, DYLAN / SR Zimmerman, Travis
            C - SO OHNESORGE, JACOB / SR Zimmerman, Travis
            Ohnesorge was a stud last year and was only a freshman
            RG - JR Shoff, Mike or RFR Riemer, Thor or SR Zimmerman, Travis
            Not sure if big Mike will be able to hold up at his size.
            RT - SR SIVERLING, BRYCE / JR Lansman, Seth
            Siverling would do better on the right side where he doesn't have to handle as much speed rushes.

DE - SR PLOTE, J.R. / SR Schultz, Landon
            Both seemed fine against the run, but the team really lacked pass rush from the DE positions last year.
            DE - SO KERN, CHASE / RFR Banasiak, Christian
            Kern looked pretty good for a true freshman and there was alot of hype about Banasiak coming out of HS.
            DT - JR LANGER, COLE / SO Pupungatoa, Tiano
            I thought Langer was going to dominate last season. He played well but am looking for another step up this year.
            DT - SO Soulek, Kellen / JR Gottlob, Shayne
            Kellen looked like our best DT at times last year before injury.

OLB - JR Bobbit, Jesse / JR Brown, Dallas
            MLB - SR Lally, T.J. / JR Peitz, Tom
            OLB - SO Hassell, J.T / JR Hazelett, Cody
            I didn't see Charles Elmore on the team roster. Hopefully he is still with the team? - Even without him, that's a solid starting LB core. Bobbit started to come on late in the season and while Hassell looks lost out there at times, he's obviously a dynamic playmaker.

CB - SR BUTLER, JE RYAN / RFR JR Herndon, Ezekiel
            CB - SO Carr, Trey / RFR Lindsey, Tyler
            FS - SR FORSYTHE, JIMMIE / SO Farina, Nick
            SS - JR MEARS, NICK / SO Farina, Nick
            Carr is too good not to be on the field more, so I wonder if they'll move one of the corner's back to safety. This could be one of the best backfields in FCS in my opinion.

LS JR Trenhaile, Thayer
            P SR Pavlik, Ron or FR Hale, Brady
            PK SR Carlson, Jay or FR Vinatieri, Chase
            A bit of uncertainly at both punter and pk

Let's hear what you guy's think!

Besides lacking a pass rush, the defense should be pretty stout.
            The offense should lean on Mengarelli and passing the ball downfield to Wieneke.

Comment

Elmore was excused from the team.

Comment

I think Douglas has a shot to play QB too or at least be a backup.
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                  I think Douglas has a shot to play QB too or at least be a backup.
                  If I recall correctly, Douglas preformed well last spring and led the offense to the first victory over the defense in a long time. I think we shouldn't discount him as the possible starter come this fall.
                  If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                  - Steven Wright

Comment

Guesses: Issac Wallace emerges as RB, and Chris Little takes over as QB.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

My guesses: Douglas, Wallace and I think Landberg becomes #2 WR.
                      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

I don't have much for guesses, but I think qb is a 3 man race, RB is a 3 or 4 man race, and Landberg will be the 2nd starting wr.

Great job though!

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                          Elmore was excused from the team.
                          That's unfortunate

Comment

Elmore had chances and basically failed so he done. Is FB Strehlow playing or done with injury? Maybe a Freshmen FB is good enough to play the position this year. FB will be an important position for the run game with multiple RB potentially. Dalton could be the QB. He looked good last Spring with a big arm.

Comment

Football video dept is putting together these videos and articles on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=209992506

Comment

The lack of coverage of spring ball is just plain depressing. I know this is beating a dead horse, I sure miss Terry's coverage of the Jacks. I would love to know who is excelling in practice at RB, who is stepping up at QB, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X