Students' Association Elections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Students' Association Elections

In interesting news here on campus, SA elections are being held today and tomorrow. There are only two parties running for the President and Vice President positions. Finck (who is the current President and is seeking a second term) and Dahle are one ticket and Siglin and Sutton are the other. Finck has been opposed to the $.50 increase in Student Fee's being used for the stadium, but Siglin and Sutton are both open to the idea. Usually SA elections don't matter much for Jackrabbit athletics, but this year it does.
    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Re: Students' Association Elections

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
    In interesting news here on campus, SA elections are being held today and tomorrow. There are only two parties running for the President and Vice President positions. Finck (who is the current President and is seeking a second term) and Dahle are one ticket and Siglin and Sutton are the other. Finck has been opposed to the $.50 increase in Student Fee's being used for the stadium, but Siglin and Sutton are both open to the idea. Usually SA elections don't matter much for Jackrabbit athletics, but this year it does.
    I started to read the article in the Collegian and stopped after a couple of paragraphs and I missed that part. I was around when the Stadium for State campaign was going on. The students back then opposed a similar assessment three times and that is why that is why we had five decades of yellow bleachers and porta potties. Lets hope this goes through this time.

Comment

Didnt they vote on these sort of things often to raise fees for stuff basically since going D-1? I remember some of the issues that students use to run on. Often times in opposition of what the Admin wanted or did do. And usually the Admin would just wait a year or 2 and it would because a non issue with new students coming in and others graduating etc. Like when the brown signs around campus went up for parking lots etc and how much students at the time hated those and where going to take them down.......like a year late no one even cared or thought it was a problem. It seems most of the time the Student associations were usually ok with modest Fee increases. One I think was for the wellness Center.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

That 50 cents will make the difference in the student budgets, as opposed to spending $30 a week on booze and pizza. Back in my day....................................

Comment

Originally posted by RochJack69 View Post
          That 50 cents will make the difference in the student budgets, as opposed to spending $30 a week on booze and pizza. Back in my day....................................
          I agree!

Comment

I suspect your post was not based on the Collegian articles that appeared in the March 18th articles. Both set of candidates do not mention the Stadium nor the $.50 increase, but they both favor the alcohol diversion program being currently piloted at USD. Also Finck and Dahle favor an increase for an expansion of the Wellness Center. Seems like the stadium financing did not include the students with the majority being bond financing. It will happen as planned. Maybe I have not read all the articles but the March 18th does not mention it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              I suspect your post was not based on the Collegian articles that appeared in the March 18th articles. Both set of candidates do not mention the Stadium nor the $.50 increase, but they both favor the alcohol diversion program being currently piloted at USD. Also Finck and Dahle favor an increase for an expansion of the Wellness Center. Seems like the stadium financing did not include the students with the majority being bond financing. It will happen as planned. Maybe I have not read all the articles but the March 18th does not mention it.
              Correct. It was more based on voting patterns and discussion from meetings last fall.

Comment

Well the election results are in and Siglin and Sutton won by 5 votes. There is some controversy over solicitation in the dorms.

http://www.sdsucollegian.com/news/ar...463a1edff.html

Turnout was no surprise, just under 2000 votes cast out of about 12,500. I don't know the exact enrollment but it close.
                Last edited by Nidaros; 03-27-2015, 01:49 AM. Reason: Forgot the comment about turnout.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  Well the election results are in and Siglin and Sutton won by 5 votes. There is some controversy over solicitation in the dorms.
                  http://www.sdsucollegian.com/news/ar...463a1edff.html
                  Turnout was no surprise, just under 2000 votes cast out of about 12,500. I don't know the exact enrollment but it close.
                  Due to the controversy, the voting period was extended to another day of voting. Finck and Dahle ended up winning. I believe it was by about a hundred votes.
                  "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked4Days View Post
                    Due to the controversy, the voting period was extended to another day of voting. Finck and Dahle ended up winning. I believe it was by about a hundred votes.
                    I noticed that and read about it in the Collegian. Not many from the Class of 1965 read the Collegian but I do.

Comment

Working...
                    X