Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Bradley Head Coach Job

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
    Like the factor that "money cant buy happiness"?
    Exactly. Much more to life than a bunch of money.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
      Uprooting a family that's put down roots in Brookings. Leave a job that he would really have to screw up to lose at SDSU. Start a job at a program that is in rebuilding mode for an administration who would have no problem firing him in 5 years if he doesn't right the ship. Leave a team that is the likely favorite in the Summit next year. Pretty simple.

Everytime this comes up you bring up the money thing. It's not all about the money. AJ proved that a few years back.
      Look at it this way: It would take 21 years at his current salary ($206K) to make as much as he'd make in five years at $900K (last coach's pay with incentives) at Bradley. $4.5 million buys a lot of long-term family security.

Do I think he'll leave? Nope. But suggesting that "roots in Brookings" is going to always trump exponentially more money is just naive.

My hope is that he's doing what a lot of people do: Demonstrating his market value to his current employer. He'll never make that at SDSU, but I think we'd all agree he deserves a lot more than he's getting.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
        Look at it this way: It would take 21 years at his current salary ($206K) to make as much as he'd make in five years at $900K (last coach's pay with incentives) at Bradley. $4.5 million buys a lot of long-term family security.

Do I think he'll leave? Nope. But suggesting that "roots in Brookings" is going to always trump exponentially more money is just naive.

My hope is that he's doing what a lot of people do: Demonstrating his market value to his current employer. He'll never make that at SDSU, but I think we'd all agree he deserves a lot more than he's getting.
        I get it. It's a lot of money. Your post made it seem like it was this super simple decision. Making more money throw the kids in the car let's go. My point is it's simply not that simple.

Never said anything about roots always trumping money. Just said it was part of the equation.

Comment

Yes, more $$ can sway decisions, sometimes. 2012, Nagy was the lowest paid coach/win of any coach in the field of 64. SDSU gets a TREMENDOUS Benefit with Nagy (or AJ or Stig) as coach. Hopefully, the benefits of the support of the AD, the whole A Dept. and fervent fan base will trump what others may offer.

As of yet, I have seen nothing that shows that any of this discussion in anything other than speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
            Yes, more $$ can sway decisions, sometimes. 2012, Nagy was the lowest paid coach/win of any coach in the field of 64. SDSU gets a TREMENDOUS Benefit with Nagy (or AJ or Stig) as coach. Hopefully, the benefits of the support of the AD, the whole A Dept. and fervent fan base will trump what others may offer.

As of yet, I have seen nothing that shows that any of this discussion in anything other than speculation.
            This week is Sweet sixteen and the elite eight the following then,I believe Final Four is the following weekend. This is when interviewing takes place and then that's when we brace ourselves and hope we have Coach Nagy still in tact. There is a fan attitude that been expressed and that is: "We got to do better than Nagy". Keep thinking that way you Bradley fools.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
              It was interesting to see the lack of inter-action between Nagy and Hansen after the semi-final game between the Jacks and Yotes. We had seats in the first row on the press row side. About 15-20 minutes after the game , Nagy was walking behind press row from one end after the presser and Hansen was coming from the opposite direction to do a radio interview with the Yote radio people. I thought they might at least acknowledge each other but it appeared that they didn't even realize the other was there. I didn't expect a hug , but I thought they maybe would have at least nodded at each other.
              Nagy has a different personality, no away around it. He isn't warm and fuzzy. He's a little awkward, introverted, he does things his way.

We bumped into him at a private party at the final 4 last year. He was stunned to see us but was very accommodating. There were a lot of big name coaches and AD's around. I think Nagy has had chances to leave and has chosen to stay. I, for one, am glad that he has.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

When I worked at SDSU, our students and staff did the coaches shows. Coach Nagy was always good to be around. He was funny, in a sarcastic kind of way and, at the end of the season, he went around and thanked everyone involved in the program personally for their work. You're right, he can be gruff, but he's genuine and sincere in addition to being a very good person.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                  It was interesting to see the lack of inter-action between Nagy and Hansen after the semi-final game between the Jacks and Yotes. We had seats in the first row on the press row side. About 15-20 minutes after the game , Nagy was walking behind press row from one end after the presser and Hansen was coming from the opposite direction to do a radio interview with the Yote radio people. I thought they might at least acknowledge each other but it appeared that they didn't even realize the other was there. I didn't expect a hug , but I thought they maybe would have at least nodded at each other.
                  I will add my two cents here. I did not attend the SDSU-USD game in Brookings, but watched on Midco and if I recall correctly, Nagy was asked about seeing Hansen sitting on USD bench and Nagy said something to the affect that it hurts to see that. I would think that a mutual respect does still exist. At the time, no doubt both were very busy with post game stuff, and did not have time to greet and exchange chit-chat. Just my take. Yes I would agree Nagy has a very reserved manner, but he is very sincere. I hope we have him until he retires.

Comment

Getting back to Soderberg, he is much more impressive than the Lindenwood football coach who seems totally lost in the transfer from NAIA. There were two SDSU alums in the audience when Soderberg spoke to a civic club. He immediately hit several SDSU stories (including admiring the USD rivalry with all its nineties excesses), and said he still corresponds with Steigelmeier. I think he did well at SLU, but Father Biondi had a desire for a bigger name. I think he could easily return to D1.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                      Getting back to Soderberg, he is much more impressive than the Lindenwood football coach who seems totally lost in the transfer from NAIA. There were two SDSU alums in the audience when Soderberg spoke to a civic club. He immediately hit several SDSU stories (including admiring the USD rivalry with all its nineties excesses), and said he still corresponds with Steigelmeier. I think he did well at SLU, but Father Biondi had a desire for a bigger name. I think he could easily return to D1.
                      I would be very happy if Brad got the job. Some of the Bradley fans seem know and appreciate him.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        I would be very happy if Brad got the job. Some of the Bradley fans seem know and appreciate him.
                        Good point, his first name would fit the job. Bad point, his kid and his kid's high school coach (who's on the county council), are 2/3 of his assistant coaching staff, so I doubt if he's going anywhere.

Comment

http://m.pjstar.com/article/20150327...271.1427372188

Nagy interviewed this afternoon for the Bradley opening

Comment

Something in my gut tells me the Jacks will have a new head coach next season.
                            "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                              Something in my gut tells me the Jacks will have a new head coach next season.
                              You might be on to something.

Comment

There's an amazing song from the '80's where Frankie says RELAX.

1. Nagy interviewed. He wasn't offered (that we know of). He's interviewed before and always come back to SDSU. Could this time be different, sure. Keep in mind that AD's are going to look at a coach's recruiting area and success in those areas. Bradley's roster if full of kids from Illinois and a couple from Michigan. Guessing to be successful that may have to change - more Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, maybe a little south. Not a ton of talent in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa to pull from, which has been Nagy's natural recruiting territory for the past 25 years (plus South Dakota obviously). Nagy has done well at SDSU since the transition, but will what he's done and his style of play translate into success in the MVC....that's for the AD to decide. Looks like by the notes in that article others are higher on the list than Nagy.

B. Why do people always turn to Austin Hansen as the heir apparent??? He was a great player, trust me, saw it first hand for a few years. He was a good assistant coach by all measures. However, he left for a reason. Got to assume it wasn't boredom. Something sent him packing. AD Sell has no loyalty to him, so can't say just because he was an SDSU guy that Sell would bring him back just because. I would hope like heck our AD opens the search up and finds the right coach, not just someone with SDSU ties. If we're going that route why not Matt Margenthaler?? He was an SDSU guy for years. Arguably the recruiting success came from his efforts. He's done well at Mankato. Knows the upper Midwest. Just saying.

Regardless, I hope Nagy stays. Respect the heck out of him as a man and a coach. SDSU won't win a National Championship, but to have a guy that recruits good kids, has them graduate and become productive members of society....that's the coach I want. Oh, and he wins some games too.

Sorry for the long post. First one in a long time, but holy cats had to get that off my chest.
                                I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Working...
                                X