The Bradley Head Coach Job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bradley Head Coach Job

Since Coach Nagy was mentioned in a Journal Star as a candidate for the new head coach job, I thought a separate thread relating to filling this job would be of interest. This morning the columnist for the Journal Star did a column on what he thought the school should do to fill it.

Here is the article:

http://www.pjstar.com/article/201503...5/11130/SPORTS
    Last edited by Nidaros; 03-24-2015, 06:47 AM.

Re: The Bradley Head Coach Job

I know someone else posted this link in another thread, but I am repeating it here because there are five comments to the article that are of interest. No mention of Nagy, but guess who is mentioned? Brad Soderberg. If the fans did the hiring I would think SDSU would be safe in retaining Nagy. At least he would not be going to Bradley, if these Soderberg fans did the hiring.

http://www.pjstar.com/article/20150322/SPORTS/150329761
    Last edited by Nidaros; 03-24-2015, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      I know someone else posted this link in another thread, but I am repeating it here because there are five comments to the article that are of interest. No mention of Nagy, but guess who is mentioned? Brad Soderberg. If the fans did the hiring I would think SDSU would be safe in retaining Nagy. At least he would not be going to Bradley.

http://www.pjstar.com/article/20150322/SPORTS/150329761
      Well, Peoria is just a hop and a skip from his old home of Champaign.

Comment

Originally posted by RochJack69 View Post
        Well, Peoria is just a hop and a skip from his old home of Champaign.
        Yes I know and I was watching fan reaction in 2002. They did not seem to know Dick Nagy or Scot and nor did they really care about the Nagy's and their talent, but they seem to know who Brad Soderberg is and that's kind of ironic. Soderberg coached at SDSU between Thorson and Scot Nagy.

Comment

I'd guess Nagy would consider leaving for Bradley, its more his stomping grounds. From the reports I could find, nothing solid, but it sounded at the very least he turned down a final interview at Ball St. Now Muncie is Muncie, which could explain some of it.

My guess is it comes down to money. If Bradley is going to give a big raise, and give him the resources then he'd probably leave. But I'm not sure Bradley will do either.

I don't see Nagy leaving for a similar type of job, with similar resources for a little bit bigger paycheck.

Comment

I don't think Nagy is the type of person who cares about the money.....I don't see Nagy or AJ leaving SDSU anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
              I'd guess Nagy would consider leaving for Bradley, its more his stomping grounds. From the reports I could find, nothing solid, but it sounded at the very least he turned down a final interview at Ball St. Now Muncie is Muncie, which could explain some of it.

My guess is it comes down to money. If Bradley is going to give a big raise, and give him the resources then he'd probably leave. But I'm not sure Bradley will do either.

I don't see Nagy leaving for a similar type of job, with similar resources for a little bit bigger paycheck.
              Nagy has lived in Brookings for the better part of 25 years. I'm not sure what he has left for family in Illinois, but at some point, I would think he would consider Brookings his "stomping grounds".
              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                Nagy has lived in Brookings for the better part of 25 years. I'm not sure what he has left for family in Illinois, but at some point, I would think he would consider Brookings his "stomping grounds".
                I was just going to say it seems the 3 big coaches have roots well established and a pretty good thing here. Maybe not as much money as else where, but there are a lot of other benefits which I think would explain why all 3 have been here for so long.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                  I don't think Nagy is the type of person who cares about the money.....I don't see Nagy or AJ leaving SDSU anytime soon.
                  I hope you're right. Imagine that you could earn four or five times as much money doing the same job by simply moving to a different town.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                    I hope you're right. Imagine that you could earn four or five times as much money doing the same job by simply moving to a different town.
                    Uprooting a family that's put down roots in Brookings. Leave a job that he would really have to screw up to lose at SDSU. Start a job at a program that is in rebuilding mode for an administration who would have no problem firing him in 5 years if he doesn't right the ship. Leave a team that is the likely favorite in the Summit next year. Pretty simple.

Everytime this comes up you bring up the money thing. It's not all about the money. AJ proved that a few years back.

Comment

I believe Nagy still has kids in the Brookings school system. I have a hard time seeing him leaving with his younger kids still growing, making friends, etc.
                      "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

"@davemchugh: After decision yesterday by Bradley to fire Gero Ford... I've been told a leading candidate for the job is Augustana's Grey Giovanine. #d3h" Dave McHugh covers D3 basketball. I don't know how crediable he is.

Green Bays coach, Brian Wardle is a name that has came up in a lot of rumors for possible coaching replacements. I wouldn't be surprised if he took the job. GB is losing a lot of players and are going to be in rebuilding mode.

Bradley's new director of athletics Chris Reynolds "told the current BU players on Sunday that a new head coach would be in place soon, possibly as quickly as within two days."

An announcement for the job should happen any day.....

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                          A couple of years ago i would have agreed with you. At this time, if he got a decent offer i think he would take it . By decent i mean something similar to what Saul Phillips got last year.

Comment

He also has a son playing ball at Wayne State.

I have no clue what he'd do if offered a job at a decent school.

I do know that making 4 x more money would be hard to turn down.
                            Last edited by SDSUAlum08; 03-25-2015, 06:49 AM.
                            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

The question I have is if he really wants to get involved with that kind of rebuilding job. I looked back at their history and the last time they had a better than .500 record (10-8) in the Valley was when Nate Wolters was in high school. The Valley is a multiple bid conference , but Northern Iowa and Wichita State perennially get two of them and SIU and Illinois State are higher on the in-state pecking order than Bradley. They are kind of like those early Jacks D1 teams and you would think it would take a lot of guaranteed money for Nagy to want to go through that again.

Comment

Working...
                              X