• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anders Broman granted release

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
    Had Donlan's spot been filled?
    http://www.gojacks.com/SportSelect.d...B_OEM_ID=15000

I count 13 on this year's roster w/ scholarships. So, yes all of scholarships were filled this year.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
      I would like to think that Moffitt gets put on scholarship with Broman leaving. If that doesn't happen, maybe another juco guard?
      If they would bring in a JUCO , I would look for a big. I don't seeing a JUCO guard coming in now knowing he would burn a year of his eligibility sitting behind Marshall,Parks,Bittle and Telly. Unless he would be willing to redshirt,which most JUCOS wouldn't be interested in doing. Using a scholarship on a JUCO guard a year from now would make sense.

Comment

How about a transfer - seeing a number of players today announcing departures...

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
          If they would bring in a JUCO , I would look for a big. I don't seeing a JUCO guard coming in now knowing he would burn a year of his eligibility sitting behind Marshall,Parks,Bittle and Telly. Unless he would be willing to redshirt,which most JUCOS wouldn't be interested in doing. Using a scholarship on a JUCO guard a year from now would make sense.
          I just don't think that there are that many good JUCO posts out there. The only way I see a big coming in would be a transfer who would be eligible right away. Theisen, Devine, Daum, and Doyle don't seem that bad of a front court. Theisen impressed me late this season. Devine is one helluva shot blocker, but needs to work on his offense. He will only be a junior so their is plenty of time to develop that this off-season. I'm also really high on Daum. He could certainly play a role next year. And Doyle is just a huge energy guy who seems willing to do what is best for the team.

I wouldn't mind seeing a transfer guard coming who would be eligible to play in the 2016-2017 season.

Comment

Best Wishes to Anders.

Comment

My thoughts on the recently open scholarship:

If it's a player that is going to play right away, it should be a big, not a guard. It would take a pretty special player to come in and take minutes away from Marshall, Parks, Telly, and Bittle. Not to mention Moffitt and emerging sophomores Flatten and Severyn, who will now be in the 3rd year with the program. A position the team really could need is a stretch 4 or a true 5, which could be adequately filled (if not nicely filled) by some of the younger bigs we have on this team. The key with the 4 spot is, we'll need someone who can be a serviceable perimeter defender to counter all the 4 guard lineups we'll see in Summit League play, but also make those teams pay for going small on both the glass and the offensive end. Daum could be this guy, but if not we'll probably be playing a 3 at the 4 spot like we did this year. Not sure if there is a Juco out there that we would legitimately have a shot at to fill this role (or the true 5), so I'd guess that a graduate transfer would probably be the only real option.

If not a player that can come in and play immediately, I'd say a transfer point guard, or a red shirt candidate that's a freshman post, or a raw, athletic type player . Juco transfers come in to play right away, so unless the aforementioned special player comes out of the wood work, it should be a player that best fills a need for the 2016-17 season.

And if all else fails and we can't find the right fit, I say give Keaton the scholarship. He most certainly contributed enough this year to warrant a year of free education.
              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
              - Steven Wright

Comment

Anyone else heard any rumors about Flatten not being happy?

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbacker123 View Post
                  Anyone else heard any rumors about Flatten not being happy?
                  Would not be surprised. Even though just a redshirt freshman I wonder if Reed got the start and extended minutes that Flatten was anticipating? Not sure how Flatten and Severyn get more next year?

Comment

this board's rules of behavior include that discussion of player departure rumors here require a named source.

No unsourced "I heard from someone close ..." rumors, please. Sources must be named, first and last name or web link to news source.

"What if player X" discussion is okay, but players and/or the school should be allowed the courtesy of making these kinds of announcements themselves.

Thanks.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I heard that the Jack the Rabbit is unhappy too, he apparently is not pleased they are recruiting a hot shot new Rabbit out of Volga that may challenge for spot on the cheer team.......

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUSmitty View Post
                        I heard that the Jack the Rabbit is unhappy too, he apparently is not pleased they are recruiting a hot shot new Rabbit out of Volga that may challenge for spot on the cheer team.......
                        You might be on to something here. I'm not sure I've ever heard him say a peep. He's obviously gone into a shell concerning something.
                        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Before we speculate on where it should go, lets make sure everyone else stays and there aren't any of those career altering type of surgeries to any of the key players.

I've heard the rumors of many people not happy, some of them have left, some of them have stayed. This is the board where Nate Wolters dad came on and said he would not be attending South Dakota St.

As for Anders, he was the least athletic, most undersized guard on a team full of large, athletic guards.

Personally assuming everyone else stays, I'd look at a transfer. Looking back how many of the Jacks teams went more than 8 deep? This year was an exception. And with the recent success of Larsen and Marshall I'm guessing we would get some closer looks from some bigger school transfers than in the past.

Comment

If we go for a post like some have mentioned, are we giving up on Devine? He is a junior after all. My belief is that we need a 4. Adam Dykman will fit this role nicely, but he will be more than likely raw coming out of high school. We need a bit larger 4 now that we don't have Cody to help with Reed being far undersized. The 4 would need to be athletic enough to guard another team if they do go small on us. Mike Daum guarding NDSU'S 4 from this season would be AJ Jacobson and I can't see him doing that.
                            "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked4Days View Post
                              If we go for a post like some have mentioned, are we giving up on Devine? He is a junior after all. My belief is that we need a 4. Adam Dykman will fit this role nicely, but he will be more than likely raw coming out of high school. We need a bit larger 4 now that we don't have Cody to help with Reed being far undersized. The 4 would need to be athletic enough to guard another team if they do go small on us. Mike Daum guarding NDSU'S 4 from this season would be AJ Jacobson and I can't see him doing that.
                              Don't think necessarily given up because more than 2 options may be needed.
                              The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Lane Severyn told me today that Anders wants to stay D1. If he leaves for D2 he will likely go back home.
                                "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Working...
                                X