Cody Larson, Under utilized or to high of expextations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cody Larson, Under utilized or to high of expextations

I feel that Mr. Larson should be a force to be reckoned with in the summit like Keto (Keith Benson) was.

I also feel that he is a great player and teams still have to game-plan around him somewhat, but only somewhat.

1. He's he fastest guy on the team, as a post (that isn't the rule it's the exception).

2.Look at the USD game he was like more or less unstoppable but we passed the ball around the key ad nauseum. I know he still got 25 pts ( would have had more if he did better at the stripe.) It seems the SDSU coaching mantra in the sports I follow is "we are going to run the game-plan until it works wither it works or not and we are going to keep running it until it works. and if it doesn't work we needed to execute better". This game for sure Cody was under utilized, perhaps the game-plan was "shoot well in the Dome".

3. IMO he should avg. 25pts a game and a double double, perhaps even a triple double. IMO he should be an absolute beast.

Perhaps I'm way of base. Thoughts? (other then we are all glad I'm not the coach)

Seems Keto Stats prove me to be a bit zealous.
    College[edit]

2007–08 Oakland 29 20 13.4 .505 .667 3.5 0.1 0.2 1.4 5.2
    2008–09 Oakland 36 36 27.8 .622 .000 .667 7.8 0.7 0.6 2.4 14.3
    2009–10 Oakland 35 35 31.3 .533 .400 .724 10.5 0.8 0.4 3.3 17.3
    2010–11 Oakland 35 35 32.4 .547 .391 .643 10.1 1.1 0.8 3.6 17.9

But I still feel he was much more of a force in the league.
    Last edited by slosho; 03-04-2015, 09:03 PM. Reason: Science. Math. Stats

Re: Cody Larson, Under utilized or to high of expextations

I think you're way off base. Especially with the Benson comparison. Where Benson was dominant was on the defensive end. He absolutely changed games in the Summit. 3 blocks per game don't even tell the story.

As for Cody somehow averaging 25 points and a triple double... I have no idea how he would accomplish that. Nate Wolters was one of the most well rounded players I've ever seen and I don't think he ever got a triple double ever. Has Cody even come close?
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Holy crap time flies...Benson has been out of the league since the 10-11 year? Seems like it was only yesterday.

As for Larson...he led the team in points in almost a third of the games this year (9 of 30) and led the team in boards in two-thirds of the games (21 of 30), and was the overall rebound leader by almost double the next closest guy. He also led the team in blocks (34) and points per game. (14.3) and is the overall points scored leader this year (428), as well as third in assists on the team. (57). He also had out highest point total in a game for a player this season (27).

You may have been a little off base, IMO.
      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Cody dominates when opposing teams try to defend him one on one. When they key on him, the Jacks' perimeter players are freed up and need to take advantage. Cody's a great defender, and he's playing at an all-conference level. I don't think it's fair or realistic to expect more from him.
        This space for lease.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, and after I looked at the #'s I think your right. But can we further the discussion on weather or not we could better utilize him?

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
            Thanks for the input guys, and after I looked at the #'s I think your right. But can we further the discussion on weather or not we could better utilize him?
            Not quite sure if he could be utilized much better. As Jacked Up states in his previous post , when Cody gets single coverage,he dominates. When he is doubled,he kicks it out for perimeter shooters. My one criticism of Cody,especially earlier in the season (and it is a minor one) was he tried too hard to make something happen himself when double-teamed instead of kicking it out. He has gotten better at that as the season progressed. Regardless of how teams defense him , the one thing the Jacks need to make sure happens going forward is that Cody touches the ball on nearly every possession and that the offense runs through him.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
              Cody touches the ball on nearly every possession and that the offense runs through him.
              I won't argue with this!

Just seems to me (in my mind) he should, I guess;score more?? block more shots. Obviously I had unrealistic expectations.

So, numbers wise does anybody think he will get an NBA look? I mean outside of Benson's size I would say that he doesn't (statistically) look that much better than Cody.

Comment

I just hope his Summit games improve as much from last year to this one as his games at Vermillion did. He really struggled in that final loss to FW last year, often losing control of the ball when he tried to dribble in the paint. That's one part of his game that he seems to have cleaned up this year. The shooters are bound to improve from last weekend, if Larson brings the same game he had in Vermillion we'll be ok.
                Last edited by Southeast; 03-05-2015, 10:48 AM.

Comment

I was prepared to be upset, but reading the thread has calmed me.

Cody Larson is a very, very good player. I have no problems with his usage, or numbers.

Comment

I think the problem, such as it is, actually tends to go the other way. The Jacks, when they get into trouble, depend too much on Larson. Their offense becomes stagnant and predictable.

Take the USD game in the Dome as an example. The Jacks did a lot of passing around, because their offense was virtually all coming from Larson, and nobody else was stepping up and making the really big shots/plays at the big times. When somebody else steps up, the Jacks are really, really good. When they lean too much on Larson, they can be fairly easily defensed.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                      I was prepared to be upset, but reading the thread has calmed me.

Cody Larson is a very, very good player. I have no problems with his usage, or numbers.
                      Sorry this thread did not meet your high expectations. Irony intended.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                        I won't argue with this!

Just seems to me (in my mind) he should, I guess;score more?? block more shots. Obviously I had unrealistic expectations.

So, numbers wise does anybody think he will get an NBA look? I mean outside of Benson's size I would say that he doesn't (statistically) look that much better than Cody.
                        No chance at the NBA. Too short and not polished enough. Plus he is old compared to many others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

First of all the answer is both, I don't think he was ever the talent to be a SEC PowerForward. He was slightly undersized and wasn't a wing type of player. At the same time he kept F-in up off the court, which lead to him not playing a while.

As for his numbers in the Summit League, again I've watched very little SDSU games (living in Arizona with poor internet does that to a guy). So I can't judge how his numbers compare to his play. last year when I watched I got the impression he didn't know that he could dominate sometimes. This year it appears he does a bit more. But still I feel he should dominate a bit more, but again if the guards aren't hitting, a good coach will double which will lead to other problems.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                            I think the problem, such as it is, actually tends to go the other way. The Jacks, when they get into trouble, depend too much on Larson. Their offense becomes stagnant and predictable.

Take the USD game in the Dome as an example. The Jacks did a lot of passing around, because their offense was virtually all coming from Larson, and nobody else was stepping up and making the really big shots/plays at the big times. When somebody else steps up, the Jacks are really, really good. When they lean too much on Larson, they can be fairly easily defensed.
                            The Jacks 3 main perimeter shooters (Parks,Marshall and Tellinghuisen) took 30 shots in the USD game , which is slightly above the average number they have taken in conference games. The problem was they only made 6. The offense was running fine , the problem was players were not making shots that they normally knock down at a much higher %. Hopefully the offense will continue to run through Cody.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              The Jacks 3 main perimeter shooters (Parks,Marshall and Tellinghuisen) took 30 shots in the USD game , which is slightly above the average number they have taken in conference games. The problem was they only made 6. The offense was running fine , the problem was players were not making shots that they normally knock down at a much higher %. Hopefully the offense will continue to run through Cody.
                              I think that reinforces my point, which I may not have made clearly. Give Larson one or more of the outside shooters who are hitting from outside, and the Jacks are pretty hard to beat. If the outside shooters aren't hitting, the defenders can spend more time collapsing on Larson. He'll still get his points, but he'll work harder to get them, and the rest of the team will work harder to get him the ball, they'll start forcing things, they'll suffer turnovers, and the SDSU offensive flow breaks down.

One thing I've noticed when SDSU's offense is in a great flow is that the ball will come in to Larson and he'll immediately pass it back out to a wide open shooter who will get the pass in a rhythm and hit the shot. When SDSU is struggling, Larson tends to want to bull his way to the basket rather than fire it back outside.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                              X