NSIC Tournament- Sanford Pentagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NSIC Tournament- Sanford Pentagon

Augie 49 Morehead 36 at halftime. Jansen with no points in first half.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I feel like Augie would compete well in the Summit. Impressive to see the range of their bigs from deep.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        OK. Jansen sounds like a player who could definitely produce if he were in D-I. League MVP in D-II. Good on 'em.
        I watched the Northern-Augie game and Jansen is the only player that would be successful in the Summit. I'm sure there's a couple others that I missed but they would be role players. I love Schilling's game but he's so undersized. He's so tough so I think he could possibly play a Griffin Callahan role but that's it. No one for Northern would play.

My question is if Jansen is actually 6'9" 240? He doesn't look that big. Cody looks like he'd just kill him. However, Cody is first team All-Summit so he's a very good player.
        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by HandoEX View Post
          In Sioux Falls for work so I'll be at tonight's game at the Pentagon. Hoping for a great game and looking forward to seeing the venue for the first time.
          How did you like the Pentagon? It's a very cool building for basketball fans.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
            I watched the Northern-Augie game and Jansen is the only player that would be successful in the Summit. I'm sure there's a couple others that I missed but they would be role players. I love Schilling's game but he's so undersized. He's so tough so I think he could possibly play a Griffin Callahan role but that's it. No one for Northern would play.

My question is if Jansen is actually 6'9" 240? He doesn't look that big. Cody looks like he'd just kill him. However, Cody is first team All-Summit so he's a very good player.
            I think Schilling could fill the Bittle role quite nicely. Maybe not quite as good defensively but more offense.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
              How did you like the Pentagon? It's a very cool building for basketball fans.
              It's fantastic! Love the throwbacks, classic basketball is special and that place is full of cool stuff. Seats and sightlines were perfect. Makes me even more excited for next weekend to see the Premier Center.

Honest question, why doesn't SDSU play a few games there? Would be great for a SDSU vs USD/NDSU/P5 Team, imo.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                I think Schilling could fill the Bittle role quite nicely. Maybe not quite as good defensively but more offense.
                I was just texting my buddy and he said Schilling plays more guard? I stand corrected in that he probably could play. I thought he played a very undersized PF spot.
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

It's fantastic! Love the throwbacks, classic basketball is special and that place is full of cool stuff. Seats and sightlines were perfect. Makes me even more excited for next weekend to see the Premier Center.

Honest question, why doesn't SDSU play a few games there? Would be great for a SDSU vs USD/NDSU/P5 Team, imo.
                  We played Florida Gulf Coast there. USD played UNLV there as well.

Will probably see at least one game a year there for the Jacks. Same with USD.

Comment

I haven't been to any basketball games at the Denny but I have been to some hockey games. It's another really special building. It's definitely top notch.

SDSU did get to play Florida Gulf Coast at the Pentagon this season and USD hosted UNLV there. I think it might start being a regular thing to get a top mid major team or a P5 school to come in and play SDSU and USD.

Comment

I was just texting my buddy and he said Schilling plays more guard? I stand corrected in that he probably could play. I thought he played a very undersized PF spot.
                      He probably does play the 4 for Augie but spends a lot of time on the perimeter. He is similiar in size to Tellinghuisen who plays the 4 for the Jacks and is a bit stronger than Reed , mostly because of being a couple years older. I think Schilling could play the 4 in the Summit , especially since most teams seem to be smaller at that position this year.

Comment

His freshman year he probably played more 3 than 4 as we had Zach Huisken at the 4 and Jansen at the 5. When Huisken left the team for personal reasons last season, Casey was, by default, pushed down to the 4 spot, mostly because he was the only other guy besides Jansen capable of playing a "big" position. This was in some ways a fortuitous outcome, as Casey has really grown comfortable as a stretch-4 type of player who can occasionally get hot from outside (5-6 last night from three) but can also take it in aggressively down low and fight for boards, putbacks etc. He's one of the scrappiest players I've seen in an Augie uniform in the past 10 years or so. In my opinion, guys like that will end up being successful in some form or fashion regardless of which "spot" they're in. Ultimately, I would guess he's more comfortable as a stretch-4 than a guard.

Comment

How well do you think Cody would defend on the perimeter? Probably better than many, but Jansen's shooting would be a bit of an equalizer. And he didn't redshirt. I have to believe that strength and conditioning is at least a little better at SDSU - so by his sophomore year Jansen could have beefed up a little more. My guess is that Jansen could even be an all conference player in the Summit.

I've often wondered what SDSU fans would think of Nate Wolters and his ability to play in the Summit if had he chosen to attend Augustana... I believe Nate would have been coming off the bench or played shooting guard his freshman year (I forget the name of the Augie PG that year, but I think he was a very good senior). From a statistical standpoint, his numbers may have turned out better at SDSU than they would have at Augie.

IMO, there are plenty of guys in the NSIC that could play in the Summit. Keaton Moffit was nowhere near the "best" player on USF's team, I would argue that he has been successful in the Summit.

I'm not saying that the NSIC is as good as the Summit, but circumstance is often just as important as skill on an individual basis.
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                            I've often wondered what SDSU fans would think of Nate Wolters and his ability to play in the Summit if had he chosen to attend Augustana... I believe Nate would have been coming off the bench or played shooting guard his freshman year (I forget the name of the Augie PG that year, but I think he was a very good senior). From a statistical standpoint, his numbers may have turned out better at SDSU than they would have at Augie.
                            What is Schilling, Alex?

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                              What is Schilling, Alex?
                              I am thinking it was Cam McCaffrey, from Oregon. Cam and Taylor Braun were both headed to Div I Portland St, until the school had their scholarships reduced. Braun headed to NDSU and Cam ended up at Augie.

Comment

Right or wrong, this is who I am thinking of: http://www.goaugie.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1736

Comment

Working...
                                X