Win Half Your Road Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win Half Your Road Games

It isn't just our coaching staff that talks about this, lots of coaches these days seem to subscribe to this philosophy. Does anybody know how this "win half your road games" thing got started??? Frankly, I think it is ESPN talking head BS.

If that is the expectation coaches are setting, is it any wonder when a team wins half their road games?

Does Stig talk about winning half our road conference games? Does AJ? Maybe they have, but it seems like LOSER talk, to me.

I want to go 1-0. The expectation is to win every game, one at a time. Talking about winning half of anything seems like setting up fans and players with moral victories so they can cope with losing.

Maybe its smart. But it doesn't seem like the kind of attitude that would translate to winning conference championships.

Does this bother anyone else? As I said earlier, this isn't specifically an SDSU problem although our coaches seem to have bought in.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Re: Win Half Your Road Games

I would say that in this constant goal setting environment that having a smidgeon of reality that winning all of your home games and half of your road games to win a conference championship is a good balance. Now if I was in the Kentucky camp, winning all of the games for the season might be the reality. However, I live in the Summit world and reality dictates that even a great year has a loss or two in the mix and I do not jump off the cliff when one of those inevitable real losses comes to the schedule. If you look at the situation closely, that winning half of the road games and all of the home games did take SDSU and NDSU to the top. If you look at the betting lines for nearly every sport, home field or home court has an advantage. Call the real world situations a loser environment, I call it reality when goal setting. Meanwhile, it does not give me relief when I think about the game in Vermillion yesterday. However, I still do not think the players and coaches should jump off the cliff to show some sort of penance. I would hesitate to equate a loss to some sort of moral victory and accept the conditions that resulted in the loss is why they play the game.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I've heard this "strategy" referenced for everything from college BB to MLB to the NFL, and it's certainly nothing new. BS or not, strategy or not, if you pull it off you'll generally be sitting very high in the standings.

Comment

I can pretty confidently say that coach Nagy doesnt shoot for that strategy. If you listen to any of his post game interviews you quickly realize he's rarely "happy" about a game regardless of the outcome. The man expects to win every game.

I do also believe that .500 on the road thing holds water. It's tough for almost all teams to win on the road. Look at how many games the BCS conference teams play on the road OOC. Very few. A big part of that is money but they also worry about a "bad loss" on the road.

Comment

I think that's the point. Winning on the road is hard. But protect the home court and win half on the road and your sitting pretty good. For every home loss that' means you need to make it up on the road. I would think both AJ and Nagy would plan to win the game home or away. But they also no how hard is it too do even with some of their great teams that win at home. If we didn't have all the injuries we had on thw womens team we would probably be the first seed too.

In sports there are a million different stratagies. Like ndsu with the slow it down almost a winning ugly style. People familiar with tennis probably know brad gilbert. He has coached a bunch of great players but he wasn't a great player but he had a stategy that worked for him he called winning ugly. Basical do what ever it takes to take his opponent out of his game. Instead of trading ground strokes which would be a disatvantage to him. He would try to get his opponent out of his strenghts. Maybe he would still lose but bring the odds more even.

Mlb win the series. Don't worry about every game. Win 2 of 3 or 3 of 4. Often times on a long road trip their say just break even. Go 5-5 is fine sometimes.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

This seems to be a classic confusion of the strategic versus the tactical view.

Going into the season, you take the strategic view that if you win all the games at home, and split on the road, that is the baseline for a successful season. (Some programs have a .500 record as the baseline. It varies.)

Going into each game, at home or on the road, you have the tactical view that you can win the game if you do x, y, and z, and keep your opponent from doing a, b, and c.

These two views are not in any way conflicting.

I don't see the problem, except that the expectation that any college basketball team . . . ANY COLLEGE BASKETBALL TEAM . . . will win all of its road games is utterly, completely, totally delusional. Unbeaten teams come around once a decade, if that often. To expect that of a team is ridiculous.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Good lord.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

True Montana Rabbit, but Nagy has also said himself that it is simply difficult to win in the road, particularly in the conference season.

Call me crazy, but I don't view those 2 statements as mutually exclusive. Nagy expects to win every game, he said as much in the tough transition when visiting Kentucky - we are not here to experience a historic arena and a great environment. We are here to win a basketball game.

Just because a coach expects his team to prepare and execute well enough to win game on and game out does not mean he is delusional enough to expect that every game is going to end with a check mark in the "W" column.
                The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                  This seems to be a classic confusion of the strategic versus the tactical view.

Going into the season, you take the strategic view that if you win all the games at home, and split on the road, that is the baseline for a successful season. (Some programs have a .500 record as the baseline. It varies.)

Going into each game, at home or on the road, you have the tactical view that you can win the game if you do x, y, and z, and keep your opponent from doing a, b, and c.

These two views are not in any way conflicting.

I don't see the problem, except that the expectation that any college basketball team . . . ANY COLLEGE BASKETBALL TEAM . . . will win all of its road games is utterly, completely, totally delusional. Unbeaten teams come around once a decade, if that often. To expect that of a team is ridiculous.
                  2015 conference champ 12-4
                  2014 conference champ 12-2
                  2013 conference champ 13-3
                  2012 conference champ 17-1
                  2011 conference champ 17-1
                  2010 conference champ 17-1
                  2009 conference champ 16-2
                  2008 conference champ 16-2
                  2007 conference champ 12-2
                  2006 conference champ 13-3

By my count, the win your home games and half your road games philosophy would be good enough for 1 shared conference championship in the last 10 years. And it wouldn't even be worth that if SDSU could play halfway decent in the Dome.

I absolutely agree with those who think it is a good goal setting tool. If the goal is to finish second in the league.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

By my count, the win your home games and half your road games philosophy would be good enough for 1 shared conference championship in the last 10 years. And it wouldn't even be worth that if SDSU could play halfway decent in the Dome.

I absolutely agree with those who think it is a good goal setting tool. If the goal is to finish second in the league.

Sounds like loser talk to me.
                    Originally posted by JackFan96
                    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

If you weren't interested in discussion, why did you start the topic?
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                        Sounds like loser talk to me.
                        2015 Conference Champion Records (win all your home games, and half your games on the road in bold)

15-1 America East
                        14-2 American
                        12-4 Atlantic 10
                        16-1 ACC
                        12-2 Atlantic Sun
                        12-4 Big 12
                        14-2 Big East
                        13-3 Sacramento St
                        13-5 Big South
                        14-2 Big Ten
                        12-2 Big West
                        12-6 CAA
                        14-3 Conference USA
                        13-3 Horizon
                        10-2 Ivy League
                        17-3 MAAC
                        11-5 Mid American
                        14-0 MEAC
                        17-1 MVC
                        12-4 Mountain West
                        15-3 Northeast
                        16-0 Ohio Valley
                        14-2 Pac 12
                        13-5 Patriot
                        16-0 SEC
                        16-2 Southern
                        14-1 Southland
                        13-2 SWAC
                        12-4 Summit
                        13-5 Sun Belt
                        17-1 West Coast
                        11-1 WAC

Comment

2015 Conference Champion Records (win all your home games, and half your games on the road in bold)

15-1 America East
                          14-2 American
                          12-4 Atlantic 10
                          16-1 ACC
                          12-2 Atlantic Sun
                          12-4 Big 12
                          14-2 Big East
                          13-3 Sacramento St
                          13-5 Big South
                          14-2 Big Ten
                          12-2 Big West
                          12-6 CAA
                          14-3 Conference USA
                          13-3 Horizon
                          10-2 Ivy League
                          17-3 MAAC
                          11-5 Mid American
                          14-0 MEAC
                          17-1 MVC
                          12-4 Mountain West
                          15-3 Northeast
                          16-0 Ohio Valley
                          14-2 Pac 12
                          13-5 Patriot
                          16-0 SEC
                          16-2 Southern
                          14-1 Southland
                          13-2 SWAC
                          12-4 Summit
                          13-5 Sun Belt
                          17-1 West Coast
                          11-1 WAC
                          So a almost a third of the confrences did exactly that. That's not bad at all. I am for the perfect confrence record as the next guy but going undefeated is mostly impossible unless your UK. Some years it will be enough some years 1 or 2 losses will be it. But if you can consistantly do that year after year you are probably going to be one of the teams to beat and in the hunt. Guess it goes to the parity of the game.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                            So a almost a third of the confrences did exactly that. That's not bad at all. I am for the perfect confrence record as the next guy but going undefeated is mostly impossible unless your UK. Some years it will be enough some years 1 or 2 losses will be it. But if you can consistantly do that year after year you are probably going to be one of the teams to beat and in the hunt. Guess it goes to the parity of the game.
                            BINGO!

Comment

This will be a long week with no games. Will half of the threads that are started this week be productive?
                              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Working...
                              X