Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Win Half Your Road Games

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    Actually, according to the Summit League, no.
    http://thesummitleague.org/sports/mb...20150228ad30xu

Turns out the Summit League awards the "regular season title" to the #1 seed. Weird, huh?
    This is false, nice article though. Im not aware of any conference that uses a tiebreaker to determine "one champion" in the regular season in basketball. Most of the bigger leagues have more than one champion becasue of unbalanced scheduling. There could be a conference somewhere that uses a tiebreaker, but the summit is not one of those. Both NDSU and SDSU get to count it as a regular season championship.

http://static.psbin.com/z/0/4sq4bnyf...hipsAwards.pdf

Actual answer. Weird huh?!

Comment

Originally posted by GolfingYote View Post
      This is false, nice article though. Im not aware of any conference that uses a tiebreaker to determine "one champion" in the regular season in basketball. Most of the bigger leagues have more than one champion becasue of unbalanced scheduling. There could be a conference somewhere that uses a tiebreaker, but the summit is not one of those. Both NDSU and SDSU get to count it as a regular season championship.

Shrug. Go argue with the person at the Summit League who wrote the article, then.

Machts nichts. Until enough SL schools play stronger non-conference schedules (and win more games in those stronger schedules), the winner of the conference tournament is going to be the only one going to the NCAA's.

Should SDSU's men (or USD's women) not win the tournament championship, they're going to the NIT (or WNIT, respectively). NDSU's men need to win the conference tournament, or wait to see which of the other post-season tournaments give them a bid. So their "co-championship" means exactly squat in real, tangible terms.

(And in case you're wondering, I'd have exactly the same opinion if NDSU's and SDSU's seeds were reversed on the men's side. It's a bragging point. Nothing more.)
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

SDSU is a regular season champion and the #1 seed, NDSU is a regular season champion. USD got 5th place, but they did win their Super Bowl so they are pretty much the #1 seed. Good luck against IPFW.

Comment

Hey I dont like NDSU either, I only noticed it because I saw an article that this was their first back to back regular season championship since the 1940's. I didnt mean to get SanDakota off on one of his wild tangents.

Comment

if WE includes ndsu as well, then yes.
            Whats this WE sh$t? Its our conference championship, not yours. We can include or exclude whoever we want. Just like your fans can choose to storm or not storm the court at your super bowl.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
              Whats this WE sh$t? Its our conference championship, not yours. We can include or exclude whoever we want. Just like your fans can choose to storm or not storm the court at your super bowl.
              Now, now, let's play nice . . .
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I think it's just a good baseline...it's not perfect.

But keeping the "long view" and the "big picture" in perspective.

Filbert has already explained this really well.

I'm not sure I'd agree with this concept anywhere but Men's college basketball. (and not if you're Duke, Kentucky, Carolina, etc... and expect to win every night).

College BB is tough. We've seen how many upsets and Cinderella runs? George Mason made the final four.

It's a difficult sport to have continued, dominating, success in unless you are vastly superior to your opponents in talent.

And with the number of schools (351 according to a quick search I just did), it's basically impossible. It's also harder to win games on the road. Read the book "Scorecasting", the authors went over a ton of data, and basically the only "truth" they came up with is that home court advantage is real. Because officials and players are human.

So while it may not be anything that fans want to hear, I don't think there's anything wrong with this "theory" as a decent starting point.

Comment

Working...
                X