Win Half Your Road Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Win Half Your Road Games

I agree with SF Rabbit Fan, those who want to win Championships generally exceed the "win your home games and half your road games" philosophy.He's shown the evidence to support his claim that most the time,it's simply not good enough to just win your home games and half your road games. Close, but no cigar. If it is good enough, then it suggests there's no dominate team in the conference, with everyone capable of beating anyone else in the conference on any given day, lots of parity amongst the teams. Never the less, the Champion deserves all the respect in the world for coming out of it on top. Conference champs are Conference champs, the record is insignificant now, the real goal is to keep it up and collect the bid to the NCAA Tournament too. Success has a way of silencing the critics.
    Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-02-2015, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
      This will be a long week with no games. Will half of the threads that are started this week be productive?
      I'm leaning.... probably not

Comment

This will be a long week with no games. Will half of the threads that are started this week be productive?
        Are any threads productive?

Comment

This is a trick question, right?
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Fans with pre-tourney jitters. One is not very productive in that mode.

Comment

After starting 0-2 on the road i think thats when we started talking about splitting on the road. We went 4-2 the last six and finished 4-4. But all that matters is we win 3 in SF. I dont want the consolation prize.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                If you weren't interested in discussion, why did you start the topic?
                I started the topic because the philosophy didn't sit right, and I wanted to get some other opinions. Yours was a good one, and made sense from a "how do you eat an elephant" point of view. The philosophy sounds smart and well thought out.

Then I looked up actual Summit Tournament results. Then I looked up all conference results.

Now I think it is one of the dumbest concepts involving sports that I've ever heard. Winning all your home games (actually not too likely) and half your road games (might actually be more likely than winning all your home games if you think about it) is much more likely to land you in second place than first.

Its a terrible philosophy to have if winning the conference championship is the goal.

IMO.
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                  I started the topic because the philosophy didn't sit right, and I wanted to get some other opinions. Yours was a good one, and made sense from a "how do you eat an elephant" point of view. The philosophy sounds smart and well thought out.

Then I looked up actual Summit Tournament results. Then I looked up all conference results.

Now I think it is one of the dumbest concepts involving sports that I've ever heard. Winning all your home games (actually not too likely) and half your road games (might actually be more likely than winning all your home games if you think about it) is much more likely to land you in second place than first.

Its a terrible philosophy to have if winning the conference championship is the goal.

IMO.
                  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                    Its a stupid philosophy. If you want to win conference titles consistently, you need to win more than 75% of your conference games. Bottom line.
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Its a stupid philosophy. If you want to win conference titles consistently, you need to win more than 75% of your conference games. Bottom line.
                      Everyone is entitled to an opinion. It worked this season , and at this point that's all that concerns me.

Comment

I think it is a fact of life, and more than a philosophy. In a 10 team league and double round robin, the first place team seldom if ever wins with a 9-9 record. Sometimes maybe a 12-6 but then there is generally a tie for first place. Most coaches set out to win them all, but it don't work that way. Winning half of away games often is a minimum goal.

Comment

IMO.
                          You may have missed something I said that I think is important: it's a baseline. A starting point, for a successful program.

"We take it one game at a time" is cliched and kinda dumb, too, but the fact remains that it is how you have to approach things in order to be successful.

If you expect perfection of human beings, then you are, in essence, requiring them to fail, because human beings aren't perfect. And you're setting yourself up for disappointment, as well.

Nobody (as far as I know) holds the position that it is not A Very Very Good Thing if you win all your road games.

A benchmark for a successful team is that you win all your home games and half of the road games. Above that benchmark, you're a "good" team, below that, you're "average" or worse. Reading much more than that into it is way, way overthinking the bromide, IMHO.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Wait, we did win the conference right?

SUPERBUNNY
                            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                              Wait, we did win the conference right?

SUPERBUNNY
                              if WE includes ndsu as well, then yes.

Comment

Originally posted by GolfingYote View Post
                                if WE includes ndsu as well, then yes.
                                Actually, according to the Summit League, no.
                                http://thesummitleague.org/sports/mb...20150228ad30xu
                                The Jackrabbits (21-9, 12-4 Summit League) earned their second Summit League regular season title since joining the league and currently hold a league-best No. 22 ranking in the CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Top 25. SDSU will meet No. 8 seed Western Illinois (8-19, 3-13) Saturday, March 7 at 6 p.m. CT (Midco Sports Network / ESPN3) in the first men's tournament game held in the new Denny Sanford PREMIER Center.
                                Turns out the Summit League awards the "regular season title" to the #1 seed. Weird, huh?
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X