SDSU / USD @ VERMILLION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU / USD @ VERMILLION

We sucked on Saturday to our rival, it happens. I'm not gonna lose sleep or spew hatred toward players or coaches because they lost one game that they won't even think about for the next 6 days. Have you ever woke up for school or work all ready to have a good day but the day just plain sucks no matter what you do? Same thing happened to the Jacks on Saturday, things just didn't go their way.

Comment

Personally, doesn't bother me one bit that Jacks players didn't come out to talk. Maybe I am wrong but do you think USD players or fans really care what the Jacks players would have to say about their loss? I guess I don't enough time on my hands to take stuff so seriously like a lot of people on this board do. Relax, have fun watching your team, win or lose. It's not life or death. If the Jacks don't win this weekend, life will go on. I'm a Vikings fan, I've learned not to get too high or too low...mainly learned to deal with the lows

Comment

I am in agreement. These young men should have an option to appear or not. Representing the institution in press conference should not be requirement. When the game does not go well, Silence should be an option.
        Last edited by Nidaros; 03-02-2015, 07:34 AM.

Comment

If I remember correctly , in the Summit League it is no longer required that even the visiting coach come in for interviews after the games.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            If I remember correctly , in the Summit League it is no longer required that even the visiting coach come in for interviews after the games.
            Good rule change. Coach Nagy wears his emotions on his face in an unmistaken fashion. Saturday had to have been about the worst time to be Coach Nagy. I assumed Coach did appear, though not required.

Comment

Here is the Youtube.

Not fun to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WALlmmaZn3k

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                Right now, in all sports, other than football, it is dead even. Quite frankly I hope you continue feeling like it isn't, and that you feel superior, because that is exactly the kind of fuel that makes the fire burn hotter than it already does. Prior to the game, in talking with the players, they felt disrespected and all that did was Jack them up more than usual. Whether you like it or not, it is a rivalry. The fact we are splitting with you in men's, winning conference titles in women's, makes the recruiting issue that much more relevant. Coach Smith, and his very good staff, will close the gap soon, and after watching what he has done with this group this year, and feeling like he will recruit up, I see us contending for titles with you. And I say that in all respect. We are closer than I thought in basketball.
                Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                A great example of how much emphasis is placed on this one game by USD. Congrats to the yotes on their fourth-place finish.

We just won our second title in the last three years and have been two the NCAAs twice in the last three (plus we'll be in the NCAA or NIT this year), yet we are "dead even" in MBB. All because we lost in the dome.
                Yoteforever, Congrats on your win over us at the dome.

I quoted the two posts above just to make sure you saw them since you conveniently only respond to what you want to after you troll the board. Based on what Southeast posted above, how can you say the two MBB programs are even with a straight face?

USD men's basketball has never finished higher than fourth in the Summit League conference (fifth with tiebreakers), never had a first team all summit player, never won ONE game in the conference tourney in SF. But yet their program is dead even with SDSU's program because you beat us on your home court? SDSU has one 3 of the last 4 and is 5-3 against the yotes since starting to play again. SDSU has found success at the conference and national level as Southeast posted above.

Laughable. As you said, I hope you and other USD fans continue to think that way about the rivalry. "Dead even." This way of thinking will be exactly why you never catch up.
                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Good win by USD on Saturday. Dissapointing loss for SDSU. It is tough to win on the road in the conference season. SDSU is the better men's basketball team and has earned the #1 seed in the Summit tourney. Any other discussion is bunk.

USD: win a game in the tourney and the it'll be settled in the court in Sioux Falls. If that happens it will be a great semifinal match up and an excellent draw for the tournament.

USD could win that game, but I will take our squad every day of the week (and in this case) twice on Monday, feeling confident that the SDSU blue will be moving on to the title game.
                  The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

I'm just think it's funny that a coyote fan, thinks that much about the Jackrabbits to come here and post THAT!

Doubt anyone here was posting on "their" board long diatribes about beating them in the previous matchup.
                    (but I wouldn't know, because I don't read their board, it's for them)

BTW, it was nice to see one thing down there in Vermillions at the game on Saturday...what are they called again? Oh Yeah... I remember... Student Fans!

Instead of being upset that USD fans only cheer for the SDSU games, I prefer to think of it as an "homage".

The two programs aren't even. That's just ridiculous. In fact, your Women's program won't be even either, until they win 4 more straight conference titles.

Get a grip. You have 2 very good coaches by all appearances, and a great school. Best wishes in the tournament, and I mean that. May the best team win.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                      Yoteforever, Congrats on your win over us at the dome.

I quoted the two posts above just to make sure you saw them since you conveniently only respond to what you want to after you troll the board. Based on what Southeast posted above, how can you say the two MBB programs are even with a straight face?

USD men's basketball has never finished higher than fourth in the Summit League conference (fifth with tiebreakers), never had a first team all summit player, never won ONE game in the conference tourney in SF. But yet their program is dead even with SDSU's program because you beat us on your home court? SDSU has one 3 of the last 4 and is 5-3 against the yotes since starting to play again. SDSU has found success at the conference and national level as Southeast posted above.

Laughable. As you said, I hope you and other USD fans continue to think that way about the rivalry. "Dead even." This way of thinking will be exactly why you never catch up.
                      Its a fan board, every other post could be considered "trolling". With that being said, as I believe Filbert mentioned elsewhere on the board, one fan's thinking is not necessarily the universal feeling amongst a fan base. As a program, its not a good or smart argument to say USD is dead even with SDSU in mens hoops. SDSU has set the standard for summit league basketball in men's and women's hoops the last 3-4 years no doubt. But, on your end, to say USD will never catch state is ignorant and even more offputting than anything YFE said. Following a paragraph full of facts with pure opinion and specualtion pretty much makes me forget any good points you made before as a reader.

I will back YFE in the sense that if you look at what both teams lose and bring in for next year's rosters (although not complete yet), its not hard to understand where his enthusiasm is coming from. I know myself, as well as the usd fans I talk hoops with, have the first real feeling that the program is turning a corner, and thats not based on just this one game as many on here allude to. Craig Smith was a steal, and the ultimate goal for a team in this conference seems to be achievable sooner than many usd fans thought. Some Yote fans still view the state game as the "super bowl", but id be willing to say a much larger percentage than in years past have their eye on the bigger picture.

Comment

Originally posted by GolfingYote View Post
                        Its a fan board, every other post could be considered "trolling". With that being said, as I believe Filbert mentioned elsewhere on the board, one fan's thinking is not necessarily the universal feeling amongst a fan base. As a program, its not a good or smart argument to say USD is dead even with SDSU in mens hoops. SDSU has set the standard for summit league basketball in men's and women's hoops the last 3-4 years no doubt. But, on your end, to say USD will never catch state is ignorant and even more offputting than anything YFE said. Following a paragraph full of facts with pure opinion and specualtion pretty much makes me forget any good points you made before as a reader.

I will back YFE in the sense that if you look at what both teams lose and bring in for next year's rosters (although not complete yet), its not hard to understand where his enthusiasm is coming from. I know myself, as well as the usd fans I talk hoops with, have the first real feeling that the program is turning a corner, and thats not based on just this one game as many on here allude to. Craig Smith was a steal, and the ultimate goal for a team in this conference seems to be achievable sooner than many usd fans thought. Some Yote fans still view the state game as the "super bowl", but id be willing to say a much larger percentage than in years past have their eye on the bigger picture.
                        You should feel good too. A couple years ago we lost our best player every, last year we lost several thousand point scorers and we brought in some new guys and we are tied for first in the confrence. Also shows how good NDSU is after losing so much from last year and to be right there at the top is impressive. I am actually curious about our rosters? Just from an out side eye both your mens and womens team have an abnormally large junior class. Is that a put all your eggs in one basket aproach or just a bunch a transfers? Just usually dont see such large classes. Anyway. You guys should feel good about it, but you hopefully understand why we feel good about our future too.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

My perception from afar is that the USD fan base is "settling in" to D-I and the Summit League. (My first thought was "maturing," but then I thought that wasn't quite right, and that particular word could send a message I didn't mean to send--"settling in" is much more accurate).

The men's basketball team this year was competitive (at least) and a factor in the league, and this is really the first year that USD fans could honestly say that without the vermillion-colored glasses on.

USD Summit League history:
                          2011-12 Conference 5-13, overall 11-18
                          2012-13 Conference 5-11, overall 10-20
                          2013-14 Conference 6-8, overall 12-18
                          2014-15 Conference 9-7, overall 16-15 (so far)

I think the relative success of the pre-Summit League years may have given (some) USD fans a bit of a sense of overconfidence, and the reality of the Summit League has taken some adjustment. I suspect that adjustment is pretty much over for the most part now, and the program seems to have its feet underneath it. Given the history, the current coaching staff, and looking forward to move into a new, dedicated basketball facility, I would be surprised if USD was not a factor in the SL league race more often than not from here on going forward.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Dead even in sports other than football? I guess we're just ignoring the resources that SDSU puts in sports such as baseball and wrestling that USD doesn't bother to offer.
                            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                              Dead even in sports other than football? I guess we're just ignoring the resources that SDSU puts in sports such as baseball and wrestling that USD doesn't bother to offer.
                              Just wait till USD beats SDSU in football. Then they will be even in that sport as well.

Comment

Remind me again where what I said is opinion rather than fact? I think based on the initial post in the thread, the statements in my last paragraph are fact. Yoteforever does think the programs are even. I only said "I hope" other yote fans "continue to share" that thought, not that they already do. I'm not painting the whole fan base that way, although I think you could show some good facts to support that a lot of coyote fans do feel that way. I think you would agree that IF they do feel that way, that is why the program in Vermillion won't catch up - for as much as a fan base can affect an actual program anyway. Measuring success off a season split rather than the performance during the season, and against the whole schedule, will always hinder the overall success of the program.

I agree with your last paragraph. The program at USD is on the rise, and i think Craig Smith was a steal. So was Austin Hansen and you and you can see, just by watching sideline interaction during games, that Coach Smith relies on and values Austin's input greatly. It will be interesting to see what happens the next few years. USD has risen from the bottom tier of the conference to the middle, but i would argue that the rise from the middle tier to the top is even more of a challenge. If I've observed anything about college basketball at the Summit League level, it's that it is hard to predict. Too many things can change on rosters year to year (transfers, impact freshmen, dismissals, etc.) to ever have a real sense on where programs will be.
                                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Working...
                                X