SDSU / USD @ VERMILLION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU / USD @ VERMILLION

A lot of interesting things happened yesterday that shed light on not only the programs of each respective school, but the opinions of many posters on both fan boards.

When you compare the game yesterday to the one in Frost back in January, I've come to the conclusion that either we are better than I think we are, or you aren't nearly as good as you think you are. In Brookings, we take a 20-0 lead, then you follow with a 28-2 run, but then the game goes back and forth till the last 3-4 minutes of the game. Up to that point, the game was in doubt. At the under 8, the Coyotes were down 2 with possession of the ball. Yesterday's game was totally different. You start with a good run ( 8-0 ) and goes back and forth till the point in the game when it was about 26-26, and from that point the Coyotes out it away. We led by 10 at half, and expanded on the lead. The Jacks maybe got it back to 7 once, then the Coyotes shut the door. But one thing I saw I didn't ever think I would see was Nagy waiving the white flag. He gave up and surrendered with 2:25 left and we held a 12 point lead. 12 is quite a bit, but not insurmountable. That shocked me. Other than the first 5 minutes, USD dominated the game.

Cody Larson is one hell of a player. Why on Gods green earth you didn't attack the middle each and every time is beyond me. We didn't have an answer for him. Heck, he had almost a double / double at half. Our bigs couldn't contain him.

Many on here discuss your "poor" defense, but many of the shots that were made from the perimeter shooters were contested. They just went in. Our perimeter players are simply better than States. Your inside game is again that much better than the U's. Inside games should score a high percentage of the time, and when you are reliant on outside shooting to win, you live and die by the sword. We shot well, and we won...it's that simple.

Another thing that shocked me was how few of State fans at the game. I was expecting an onslaught where at times it would be difficult to tell which was the home team. I was surprised, there just weren't that many there. You had the corner behind your bench,but even that had sprinklings of USD fans amongst them. Then when you looked back at the permenant seating, there just wasn't a lot of Blue.

Because we have debated on here so any times how you have said that State fans were treated poorly, I observed the student section, seated next to the block of State fans, and although the students were loud, at no point was the a level of disrespect. I visited with some of the State fans at the game, and had the usual banter back and forth,but everyone said they were treated well. My buddy told me that a State fan got close to Coach Glenn and was relentless on his mocking of his team. Several people asked him to be quiet,but he stated that he paid the price of his ticket and could say whatever he wanted. I understand Coach Glenn showed great restraint and simply moved away. The reason I bring that up is because in the past you have said USD fans were horrible, etc. Apparently this guy was trashed and obnoxious, but I don't feel he represented your fan base. I thought the crowd and fans on both sides were respectful. I believe things have changed.

Another surprise to me, and it was discussed on the other thread, was some peoples cavalier attitude towards this being a rivalry or not. I have said this many times, and will say it again. If you don't think it's a rivalry,something is wrong with you. It is indeed a rivalry, and from what I've seen lately, it's a healthier rivalry than what it was. I know in football you want to treat us like the red headed step children we have been,but eventually you know even that pendulum is gonna change, and games will be contested. Right now, in all sports, other than football, it is dead even. Quite frankly I hope you continue feeling like it isn't, and that you feel superior, because that is exactly the kind of fuel that makes the fire burn hotter than it already does. Prior to the game, in talking with the players, they felt disrespected and all that did was Jack them up more than usual. Whether you like it or not, it is a rivalry. The fact we are splitting with you in men's, winning conference titles in women's, makes the recruiting issue that much more relevant. Coach Smith, and his very good staff, will close the gap soon, and after watching what he has done with this group this year, and feeling like he will recruit up, I see us contending for titles with you. And I say that in all respect. We are closer than I thought in basketball.

Then lastly I read on here retain posters claiming how embarrassed they are about this team, and I just want to laugh out loud. Yeah, I would be embarrassed also if I had a team that just shared the title of the regular season. I would be embarrassed by this team heading into tournament play as the number 1 seed. I can't believe that you would even support a team as poor as this one (sarcasm).

You have a good team, in both men's and women's, and I won't surprised one way or another if you win both titles, or one or the other. I won't be surprised one way or another if we win a title or two. Your women's team has the motivation factor if we need up playing you, and mentally that's a big advantage. On the men's side, we now have beaten you and squared up the regular season, and if we happen to win our first game and play you, we may have the motivational factor in the rematch because we now know we can beat you, and our guys still feel disrespected. If I was Coach Smith, I'd play that card right up till game time. We could also lose, that's what's gonna make the tournament fun.

Yesterday was our day. No doubt. I hope both teams play each other again in the tournament,it's good for the state.

Re: SDSU / USD @ VERMILLION

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
    A lot of interesting things happened yesterday that shed light on not only the programs of each respective school, but the opinions of many posters on both fan boards.

When you compare the game yesterday to the one in Frost back in January, I've come to the conclusion that either we are better than I think we are, or you aren't nearly as good as you think you are. In Brookings, we take a 20-0 lead, then you follow with a 28-2 run, but then the game goes back and forth till the last 3-4 minutes of the game. Up to that point, the game was in doubt. At the under 8, the Coyotes were down 2 with possession of the ball. Yesterday's game was totally different. You start with a good run ( 8-0 ) and goes back and forth till the point in the game when it was about 26-26, and from that point the Coyotes out it away. We led by 10 at half, and expanded on the lead. The Jacks maybe got it back to 7 once, then the Coyotes shut the door. But one thing I saw I didn't ever think I would see was Nagy waiving the white flag. He gave up and surrendered with 2:25 left and we held a 12 point lead. 12 is quite a bit, but not insurmountable. That shocked me. Other than the first 5 minutes, USD dominated the game.

Cody Larson is one hell of a player. Why on Gods green earth you didn't attack the middle each and every time is beyond me. We didn't have an answer for him. Heck, he had almost a double / double at half. Our bigs couldn't contain him.

Many on here discuss your "poor" defense, but many of the shots that were made from the perimeter shooters were contested. They just went in. Our perimeter players are simply better than States. Your inside game is again that much better than the U's. Inside games should score a high percentage of the time, and when you are reliant on outside shooting to win, you live and die by the sword. We shot well, and we won...it's that simple.

Another thing that shocked me was how few of State fans at the game. I was expecting an onslaught where at times it would be difficult to tell which was the home team. I was surprised, there just weren't that many there. You had the corner behind your bench,but even that had sprinklings of USD fans amongst them. Then when you looked back at the permenant seating, there just wasn't a lot of Blue.

Because we have debated on here so any times how you have said that State fans were treated poorly, I observed the student section, seated next to the block of State fans, and although the students were loud, at no point was the a level of disrespect. I visited with some of the State fans at the game, and had the usual banter back and forth,but everyone said they were treated well. My buddy told me that a State fan got close to Coach Glenn and was relentless on his mocking of his team. Several people asked him to be quiet,but he stated that he paid the price of his ticket and could say whatever he wanted. I understand Coach Glenn showed great restraint and simply moved away. The reason I bring that up is because in the past you have said USD fans were horrible, etc. Apparently this guy was trashed and obnoxious, but I don't feel he represented your fan base. I thought the crowd and fans on both sides were respectful. I believe things have changed.

Another surprise to me, and it was discussed on the other thread, was some peoples cavalier attitude towards this being a rivalry or not. I have said this many times, and will say it again. If you don't think it's a rivalry,something is wrong with you. It is indeed a rivalry, and from what I've seen lately, it's a healthier rivalry than what it was. I know in football you want to treat us like the red headed step children we have been,but eventually you know even that pendulum is gonna change, and games will be contested. Right now, in all sports, other than football, it is dead even. Quite frankly I hope you continue feeling like it isn't, and that you feel superior, because that is exactly the kind of fuel that makes the fire burn hotter than it already does. Prior to the game, in talking with the players, they felt disrespected and all that did was Jack them up more than usual. Whether you like it or not, it is a rivalry. The fact we are splitting with you in men's, winning conference titles in women's, makes the recruiting issue that much more relevant. Coach Smith, and his very good staff, will close the gap soon, and after watching what he has done with this group this year, and feeling like he will recruit up, I see us contending for titles with you. And I say that in all respect. We are closer than I thought in basketball.

Then lastly I read on here retain posters claiming how embarrassed they are about this team, and I just want to laugh out loud. Yeah, I would be embarrassed also if I had a team that just shared the title of the regular season. I would be embarrassed by this team heading into tournament play as the number 1 seed. I can't believe that you would even support a team as poor as this one (sarcasm).

You have a good team, in both men's and women's, and I won't surprised one way or another if you win both titles, or one or the other. I won't be surprised one way or another if we win a title or two. Your women's team has the motivation factor if we need up playing you, and mentally that's a big advantage. On the men's side, we now have beaten you and squared up the regular season, and if we happen to win our first game and play you, we may have the motivational factor in the rematch because we now know we can beat you, and our guys still feel disrespected. If I was Coach Smith, I'd play that card right up till game time. We could also lose, that's what's gonna make the tournament fun.

Yesterday was our day. No doubt. I hope both teams play each other again in the tournament,it's good for the state.
    I think SDSU isn't that good. Just my opinion. I personally think the entire Summit League isn't good this year. USD is probably just who they are as well. They shot lights out. You aren't going to beat anyone giving up those numbers. Especially on the road.

And as for some guy who heckled a fan....I'm kind of over it. Both schools have idiots. It's just how it is. I'm probably just getting older now. I do understand your reasoning for bringing it up, but it is what it is.

And the embarrassed comment had to do with how they played yesterday. I'm assuming our players would say the same thing.

I think the USD women could win the tourney. It'll take perfect play for the men to win and I don't see it happening. Not a chance actually. They'll likely have to beat IPFW, State, and NDSU in 3 consecutive days. I'm not saying they couldn't win a couple and even beat State again. I just don't see it happening.

Good win for USD yesterday. SDSU didn't deserve to be on the court.
    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

The game meant more to USD than it did SDSU. I don't think there's much more to it than that. I don't recall there being many USD fans in Brookings when the game was there. And I don't recall SDSU fans storming the court after the Jacks won the first round. Congrats to the Coyotes for their middle-of-the-pack conference finish and tourney seeding. The tournament will be a new and more meaningful ball game.
      This space for lease.

Comment

Good grief, talk about reading too much into one game. LOL that your perimeter players are better that the Jacks. Again, it was ONE game.

Comment

The yotes shot way over the average for the year and the conference averages. They even had almost a 10% bump on the free throw average. The Jackrabbits shot way below their season and conference averages. Smith has brought the yotes a long ways this year with about the same players from last year minus Gruis as a big man. The Jackrabbits won half of the road games in conference which is what many thought the goal would need to be to compete for the conference title. As the conference is down this year, the Jackrabbits moved from preseason #4 to top seed for the tourney..... I will accept that result. As a small crowd in Vermillion wearing blue, it might be explained there were over 1800 people watching a womens game in Brookings as a solo game. The red in the crowd at Brookings for either of the yote games was hard to find at all. Congratulations for the WBB conference championship for the USD team. USD has raised the bar in WBB. It should not be forgotten that the #1 seed of the women's tourney lost last year to a lower seed. Meanwhile, we will watch for the red to invade Sioux Falls next week. That will also speak volumes to the notion that yote support is rebounding beyond senior day in Vermillion playing an old instate rival.
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
            Good grief, talk about reading too much into one game.

This is is what I thought as well. There's no doubt that USD was going to close the gap, but they were literally last in every major sport. They had nowhere to go but up. I still think Smith will get them to a tournament in a few years though.
            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

SDSU / USD @ VERMILLION

Originally posted by jack power View Post
              Good grief, talk about reading too much into one game. LOL that your perimeter players are better that the Jacks. Again, it was ONE game.

A great example of how much emphasis is placed on this one game by USD. Congrats to the yotes on their fourth-place finish.

We just won our second title in the last three years and have been two the NCAAs twice in the last three (plus we'll be in the NCAA or NIT this year), yet we are "dead even" in MBB. All because we lost in the dome.
              Last edited by Southeast; 03-01-2015, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                The game meant more to USD than it did SDSU. I don't think there's much more to it than that. I don't recall there being many USD fans in Brookings when the game was there. And I don't recall SDSU fans storming the court after the Jacks won the first round. Congrats to the Coyotes for their middle-of-the-pack conference finish and tourney seeding. The tournament will be a new and more meaningful ball game.
                So having a conference title all to yourself doesn't mean anything? Give me a break. If anything the game should have meant more to SDSU than USD.

The USD game in Brookings was just minutes after our women hosted you in the Dome, I'm surprised there were any fans that made the trip north.

Comment

Once usd cares about every confrence game they might actually do something. I have said before on other threads that teams who beat a higher ranked team need to back it up. 1 game means nothing. V tech almost beat duke and if you watch most games v tech isn't that good. But playing duke they gave it their all and almost won. Had they won great for them but they would need to prove its not a fluke. There is a reason we are the #1 seed. Over confrence play we were consistantly better then the yotes. Look at the avgs of the season we have been the better team.

Its pretty clear your just trying to stir the pot. If doing so helps you sleep at night that you won one game that made your season. Great. I know our team has something to work on but watching the usd denver game sure told a lot about that usd team too. Which means usd is probably somewhere in the middle.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Yotes View Post
                    So having a conference title all to yourself doesn't mean anything? Give me a break. If anything the game should have meant more to SDSU than USD.

The USD game in Brookings was just minutes after our women hosted you in the Dome, I'm surprised there were any fans that made the trip north.
                    Our women had a home game too before the mens. So if an sdsu fan is going to watch they are probably going for the home team since its a pretty crappy place to watch a game in the dome.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                      If this game meant more to USD than SDSU, then SDSU needs a serious and complete head adjustment. Playing for first place alone in the Summit League after a seasn-long struggle to get to that point isn't enough to play for?

Comment

Originally posted by Yotes View Post

I agree with the first point, but as a Yote fan you are not exactly a pristine vessel making it. When you guys start caring as much about winning conferences as winning one game a year against the Jack, then you can make these claims. We're clearly on different levels of significant games here.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                          If this game meant more to USD than SDSU, then SDSU needs a serious and complete head adjustment. Playing for first place alone in the Summit League after a seasn-long struggle to get to that point isn't enough to play for?
                          If you told the team and coahces that they would lose the first 2 confrewnce games of the year and the last game of the year at usd but would already have 1st place and 1st seed locked up before the game they would be just fine with that. More then likely its unfortunate but most liekly we were looking ahead to the tourny and a game next saturday.

Comment

Our perimeter players are simply better than States.
                            In all fairness, I don't think Kasperbaur and Bos would shoot very good either if we made them play at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium.
                            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                            - Steven Wright

Comment

You would think you were talking about the super bowl. You are that good and we stunk yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                              X