Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Diirector of Athletic Bands

Originally posted by SDSUSmitty View Post
    They did have their indoor concert in the SJAC this year. I don't know if it is suitable for a marching band competition as the field is only 80 yards long I believe, some high marching bands utilize the entire field sometimes. You are correct about the game day operations and everything being scripted. It all started when we got that new scoreboard (I was drum major in the Pride at the time), they didn't let us every play in the stands because they had to run the ads on the scoreboard during timeouts and between quarters. One thing the band has been doing the past 5 years or so that we didn't do back in my day is playing between plays up to the snap of the ball. The band is actually a lot more involved during the actual game as they ever have been. Maybe Kevin has some new ideas as he has been involved during gameday operations with the band at Iowa both football and basketball the past 3 years. New blood, new ideas. Let's see if the administration/gameday operations people give any ground.
    I also agree with you on having the band play through the tailgate area but only concern about that is the Backyard is pretty cramped especially on Hobo Day and bigger games. On Hobo Day, I could barely walk through there, let alone a 200 piece marching band. It would be cool if the band did a pre-game concert/pep rally deal like a lot of power conference schools do. Notre Dame is famous for doing that and I remember seeing Nebraska band playing a "concert" before the first SDSU game.
    Great post! Now, I don't want to knock those doing the announcements and the commercials on the board. I think they do a great job. My whole issue is the timing and doing things so that it maximizes thanking the sponsors and also expanding the game day experience.

You mention playing between play. I've definitely noticed that and like it.

I've never been in a marching band. It just seems like those kids would love to have more involvement on game day. Is that right?

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I think we need more cowbell!

If only that were approved.....

Comment

Of course everyone in the band wants to be more involved, especially with all the time put in during the week, they want to show off their stuff. Hopefully in the new stadium the overall game day experience will improve...assuming they have someone that knows what they are doing!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
          I have always been a fan of the Pride and been a vocal supporter, critic, and supported them financially.

SDSU has a great band tradition and I hope some of that can come back and thrive. My hope moving forward is that Dr. Kessler will come and revive the good things and work hard with the AD to make the gameday experience as good as possible. There are a lot of things that can be done.

Over the years there has been some definite friction between the two entities and they both looked out for their interests. Well, the bottom line is that if there wasn't a football game there would be no band. They need the game and the exposure to exist. At the same time, the gameday experience would never be as good without the band. Just imagine going to a game with no band to play "Ring the Bells" after a touchdown. How about a Hobo Day Parade with no Pride? It just wouldn't be the same.

They are intertwined which can be a very good thing if they just work together as good as possible. I miss things like having the SDSU Drumline at basketball games, or the Hare-Raisin' Brass playing at events. There are so many spots where the band could help out. However, to do that does take a lot of time in the lives of the student-musicians just as it does for the athletes on the field. Do the students in the band have the time/desire to commit to doing the extras outside of the normal Band/Pep Band? I have no idea.

If it was up to me here's what I'd have the band doing:

1. On Football game day have different pods of the band roam the tailgate lots and play school songs, have the drumline play here and there, and then have the entire band march through the The Backyard on the way into the stadium.

2. Get more people involved with the Pep Band. Mainly more percussion. Have several members of the drumline to help bang out the State Cadence and other cheers. It might help get the students into it more, heck, maybe the entire crowd.
          3. For the love of all things good, please update the play list for the Pep Band. I have been very critical of this for a long time. Jim Coull is widely respected as one of the best arrangers in the country. Yet, we show up to the game and hear "Ring of Fire" and Barbara Ann" at basketball games. Boy, those are sure sports anthems. The students were born 20 years after both those songs were hits. They're classics but don't fit there. If you go to the Summit League Tourney you see and here what other bands are doing. Our Pep Band plays everything well but the creativity of the others is much better.
          4. Turn over a lot of the control to student leaders of the Pep Band. Let them come up with ideas. A) They will keep things fresh. B) They will be more into it.
          5. All things played by the band or the PA should be geared towards getting the fans into it. I'm not advocating it goes as far as they do at NDSU but it could be much better.
          6. The AD needs to make things on gameday more flexible. Everything is scripted. When you are at the next game, take note of how after the 8-minute media time out the entire spirit squad comes out onto the floor and does the State Cadence and plays Ring the Bells. People barely yell it out anymore where it used to be awesome. Then, when they play the fight song people start getting up out of their seats and then feel forced to clap to it. That sucks! WHEN THE JACKS GO ON A RUN AND THE CROWD GETS INTO IT, THAT'S WHEN YOU HAVE THAT SEQUENCE!!! GET RID OF THE SCRIPT!!! I know there are sponsors to thank and they deserve that. Their dollars are what makes a lot of this go round. Unfortunately, I think it is done at the expense of the game day experience.
          7. Continue to find innovative things to do during the breaks. The Baby Race is great. Kiss Cam is solid. Oblivious Cam is good. None of those get the crowd into it.
          8. The Pride should be given the opportunity to hold an indoor concert or two in the new SJAC and maybe host a band competition. That might be a nice "trade-out" for their services.

There is a unique opportunity here to remake the gameday experience in both football and basketball into something really cool. In a year or two we will have a an entirely new football stadium that will be the envy of all of FBS. Will we have the gameday experience to go with it? It would be a shame if we didn't take advantage of it! We are also blessed with two very solid basketball programs and it would be great to make Frost Arena into the home court advantage that it provided not so many years ago. IT can be done.

Sorry for the long post. I get a little fired up about this topic. The AD and the Music Department need to really strengthen their relationship to make this stuff happen. If they do, it will be the best possible situation for both entities. That sounds like a win-win situation to me. What do you think?

SUPERBUNNY

After halftime at Notre Dame, a group of members of the brass section go around the stadium and play in the entrances of the upper deck sections. If I remember correctly, they played the fight song and then moved on. Not sure if that's doable at the new stadium but I think it could be a way to get the band more involved with the crowd and vice versa.

Also, the Notre Dame band marched through campus in the morning, 9 a.m. maybe? They aren't dressed in their uniforms but it's a way of signaling that it's game day.

Just a couple thoughts.

Comment

I believe Kevin did his dissertation on the history of the Pride. I know he had talked about it anyway. Between his passion for music and his love of sports he will do an awesome job. Mix that together with the fact he was a Pride member and is fully aware of it's history...I'm excited to see what old traditions he will bring back and what new ones he will get rolling. I wish him the best of luck and GO JACKS!
            One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
              I believe Kevin did his dissertation on the history of the Pride. I know he had talked about it anyway. Between his passion for music and his love of sports he will do an awesome job. Mix that together with the fact he was a Pride member and is fully aware of it's history...I'm excited to see what old traditions he will bring back and what new ones he will get rolling. I wish him the best of luck and GO JACKS!
              I am looking foward too him taking over. I loved playing for Mckinney and Coull but wonder if their style and such started to wear off on the newer generations of pride members. think its great they have a pride guy who can bring those traditions and new ideas as well.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                Bring Back "The Fireman Song"!
                I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
                  Bring Back "The Fireman Song"!
                  My sister was a firemans daugther...............
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Kevin is doing his dissertation about the Pride. I believe he has interviewed all living former Pride directors. It would be fun to see what he came up with. He was also involved in the organization of the alumni chapter for the Pride. I'm looking forward to another Pride reunion this year at Hobo Day. The last one couple years ago was a blast....even though I found out my mid-30s body didn't quite recover as well as my late teens/early 20's body from a weekend of Pride related activities (aka alcohol). I better get into better shape this time!

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUSmitty View Post
                      Kevin is doing his dissertation about the Pride. I believe he has interviewed all living former Pride directors. It would be fun to see what he came up with. He was also involved in the organization of the alumni chapter for the Pride. I'm looking forward to another Pride reunion this year at Hobo Day. The last one couple years ago was a blast....even though I found out my mid-30s body didn't quite recover as well as my late teens/early 20's body from a weekend of Pride related activities (aka alcohol). I better get into better shape this time!
                      I wasnt able to make it last time but would really like to this year. what years where you in the pride?

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                        There is a song that used to be played back in the 70's or 80's prior to a kickoff in football that would love to have them bring back. I can hum it, but not tell you what it is. Any ideas?
                        They used Ghost Riders in the Sky as their marching song for a few years, but maybe more recently than that. Not sure.
                        An ardent supporter of the hometown team should go to a game prepared to take offense, no matter what happens.Robert Benchley
                        US actor, author, & humorist (1889 - 1945)

Comment

I didn't realize we had so many band members on the forum. That is cool! I was a former photographer for the Collegian (1 semester) and the Brookings Register (3 years). I always felt I had the best seat in the house to observe the games and the band. I also liked getting fed at halftime in the media booth!

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                            I didn't realize we had so many band members on the forum. That is cool! I was a former photographer for the Collegian (1 semester) and the Brookings Register (3 years). I always felt I had the best seat in the house to observe the games and the band. I also liked getting fed at halftime in the media booth!
                            Well the pride is the largest student organization on campus. Some years the Pride had almost as many students athletes combined for mens and womens.

Comment

It looks this thread has brought all the band geeks out of hiding.

I'm still waiting for a post that starts with "This one time, at band camp...."

Comment

This one time... at band trip...
                                I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Working...
                                X