New Diirector of Athletic Bands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Diirector of Athletic Bands

1998 SDSU graduate, Kevin Kessler, has been hired to be the new Director of Athletic Bands which includes the Pride of the Dakotas and the basketball pep bands. Knowing Kevin personally, this is a fantastic hire. He is a former Pride drum major and was band director at Brandon Valley until 3 years ago when he pursued his doctorate at the University of Iowa. As a doctoral student, he helped run the Iowa marching bands and pep bands so he has experience dealing with "big time" game day operations. For those of you that wanted new, young blood for the Pride, this guy is your man. He bleeds Yellow and Blue and this is a dream job for him. He is a highly respected band director in this state and I believe will be a great asset to the University. (No, he didn't pay me to write this, in fact he doesn't know I'm writing this but I felt comfortable posting this since he made it public on his Facebook page and word has spread already)

Re: New Diirector of Athletic Bands

Sounds like good news to me!

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUSmitty View Post
      1998 SDSU graduate, Kevin Kessler, has been hired to be the new Director of Athletic Bands which includes the Pride of the Dakotas and the basketball pep bands. Knowing Kevin personally, this is a fantastic hire. He is a former Pride drum major and was band director at Brandon Valley until 3 years ago when he pursued his doctorate at the University of Iowa. As a doctoral student, he helped run the Iowa marching bands and pep bands so he has experience dealing with "big time" game day operations. For those of you that wanted new, young blood for the Pride, this guy is your man. He bleeds Yellow and Blue and this is a dream job for him. He is a highly respected band director in this state and I believe will be a great asset to the University. (No, he didn't pay me to write this, in fact he doesn't know I'm writing this but I felt comfortable posting this since he made it public on his Facebook page and word has spread already)
      I agree with Jack#1, it is good news. Although I thought McKinney had kind of pompus attitude particularily about giving the bands seating at football games , I think the Pride has gone down in quality and quanity since he retired. Jim Coull seems to have ended up running things. How does he fit in under the new leader?

What ever happen to the hot shot from Utah that took over from McKinney?

Comment

Everybody likes music, just play a lot at games, most everyone will enjoy the band music, I know I do. Congrats to Kevin.

Comment

Jim Coull is retiring after this school year. Part of the reason the Pride has got smaller the past years is that there has been some scheduling quirks in couple departments on campus, in particular the nursing department. From what I understand, the nursing students have class at the same time as the Pride rehearsal 3 days a week so that wiped out a major chunk which is unfortunate. Engineering might be the other department if I remember right.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            I agree with Jack#1, it is good news. Although I thought McKinney had kind of pompus attitude particularily about giving the bands seating at football games , I think the Pride has gone down in quality and quanity since he retired. Jim Coull seems to have ended up running things. How does he fit in under the new leader?

What ever happen to the hot shot from Utah that took over from McKinney?
            I believe his name was Eric Peterson? I don't think he was in love with the Pride. I think he is still on campus, but he works with more of the ensembles.
            Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

You are correct, he wanted to do more of the band ensembles.

Comment

I think its good to have an SDSU guy who can bring some old traditions but take the bad in new directions. Mckinney and Coull were pretty darn good. While we were D-2 as much as people like to hate the band, it was always bigger, and better then many big programs. They have marched in some awesome parades and did most of the home football games. Its sad to see Mckinney and Coull move on. they sure made it fun for the band members. When we had a marching bad around 400 hundred students, you dont get that size if your doing things wrong.

My only complaint is the new uniforms look like cheap small town highschool uniforms who couldnt afford anything better.....no offense to those schools who can only get that, but the point is they dont look as nice and professional as they could. Black pants and shoes is pretty plain with blue tops and white aussie hats even blue pants would at least look more uniform and professional imho. The old uniforms were white tops with the yellow and white cape which were awesome, and to bad they dont have those anymore, but had blue pants with a yellow and blue stripe down the side with white shoes and blue aussie hat. The new uniforms just dont look as sharp or professional as they use too i guess. Only if they would have consulted me on this topic and many others they would have gotten it right Just kidding of course, but seriously they dont look good.

I think a lot of the fun and traditions have died since the Mckinney left. The drumline use to do more performances around, the horn sections had the hare raisin brass would also play different events and football games but it doesnt seem like they have that much anymore. Will be interesting to see what he brings to the table.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Kevin will do a great job with the Pride - he has a strong sense of where they have been and where they want to go. Was in several music groups with him in the 90's and he will do a first rate job for SDSU. I'm looking forward to seeing him on gameday - he will get the Pride back to the level that McKinney had them. Good Luck and congrats Kevin!

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                    I believe his name was Eric Peterson? I don't think he was in love with the Pride. I think he is still on campus, but he works with more of the ensembles.
                    Thanks I could not remember his name, but read about him when he was hired, and was impressed. Marching Units are slowly disappearing. I remember a conversation in my church in Dayton Ohio, with the choir director who was a prof at Wittenberg College. The day before I had attended a Wittenberg football game, and there was no band. I asked why, and he told me Wittenberg had discontinued their marching band years before 1975 that was when the conversation took place. He further elaborated that it cost too much to keep it going. Goon, that's why the uniforms look like those worn by Sinai High School which closed it doors in 1960.

Comment

I have always been a fan of the Pride and been a vocal supporter, critic, and supported them financially.

SDSU has a great band tradition and I hope some of that can come back and thrive. My hope moving forward is that Dr. Kessler will come and revive the good things and work hard with the AD to make the gameday experience as good as possible. There are a lot of things that can be done.

Over the years there has been some definite friction between the two entities and they both looked out for their interests. Well, the bottom line is that if there wasn't a football game there would be no band. They need the game and the exposure to exist. At the same time, the gameday experience would never be as good without the band. Just imagine going to a game with no band to play "Ring the Bells" after a touchdown. How about a Hobo Day Parade with no Pride? It just wouldn't be the same.

They are intertwined which can be a very good thing if they just work together as good as possible. I miss things like having the SDSU Drumline at basketball games, or the Hare-Raisin' Brass playing at events. There are so many spots where the band could help out. However, to do that does take a lot of time in the lives of the student-musicians just as it does for the athletes on the field. Do the students in the band have the time/desire to commit to doing the extras outside of the normal Band/Pep Band? I have no idea.

If it was up to me here's what I'd have the band doing:

1. On Football game day have different pods of the band roam the tailgate lots and play school songs, have the drumline play here and there, and then have the entire band march through the The Backyard on the way into the stadium.
                      2. Get more people involved with the Pep Band. Mainly more percussion. Have several members of the drumline to help bang out the State Cadence and other cheers. It might help get the students into it more, heck, maybe the entire crowd.
                      3. For the love of all things good, please update the play list for the Pep Band. I have been very critical of this for a long time. Jim Coull is widely respected as one of the best arrangers in the country. Yet, we show up to the game and hear "Ring of Fire" and Barbara Ann" at basketball games. Boy, those are sure sports anthems. The students were born 20 years after both those songs were hits. They're classics but don't fit there. If you go to the Summit League Tourney you see and here what other bands are doing. Our Pep Band plays everything well but the creativity of the others is much better.
                      4. Turn over a lot of the control to student leaders of the Pep Band. Let them come up with ideas. A) They will keep things fresh. B) They will be more into it.
                      5. All things played by the band or the PA should be geared towards getting the fans into it. I'm not advocating it goes as far as they do at NDSU but it could be much better.
                      6. The AD needs to make things on gameday more flexible. Everything is scripted. When you are at the next game, take note of how after the 8-minute media time out the entire spirit squad comes out onto the floor and does the State Cadence and plays Ring the Bells. People barely yell it out anymore where it used to be awesome. Then, when they play the fight song people start getting up out of their seats and then feel forced to clap to it. That sucks! WHEN THE JACKS GO ON A RUN AND THE CROWD GETS INTO IT, THAT'S WHEN YOU HAVE THAT SEQUENCE!!! GET RID OF THE SCRIPT!!! I know there are sponsors to thank and they deserve that. Their dollars are what makes a lot of this go round. Unfortunately, I think it is done at the expense of the game day experience.
                      7. Continue to find innovative things to do during the breaks. The Baby Race is great. Kiss Cam is solid. Oblivious Cam is good. None of those get the crowd into it.
                      8. The Pride should be given the opportunity to hold an indoor concert or two in the new SJAC and maybe host a band competition. That might be a nice "trade-out" for their services.

There is a unique opportunity here to remake the gameday experience in both football and basketball into something really cool. In a year or two we will have a an entirely new football stadium that will be the envy of all of FBS. Will we have the gameday experience to go with it? It would be a shame if we didn't take advantage of it! We are also blessed with two very solid basketball programs and it would be great to make Frost Arena into the home court advantage that it provided not so many years ago. IT can be done.

Sorry for the long post. I get a little fired up about this topic. The AD and the Music Department need to really strengthen their relationship to make this stuff happen. If they do, it will be the best possible situation for both entities. That sounds like a win-win situation to me. What do you think?

SUPERBUNNY
                      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                        I have always been a fan of the Pride and been a vocal supporter, critic, and supported them financially.

SDSU has a great band tradition and I hope some of that can come back and thrive. My hope moving forward is that Dr. Kessler will come and revive the good things and work hard with the AD to make the gameday experience as good as possible. There are a lot of things that can be done.

Over the years there has been some definite friction between the two entities and they both looked out for their interests. Well, the bottom line is that if there wasn't a football game there would be no band. They need the game and the exposure to exist. At the same time, the gameday experience would never be as good without the band. Just imagine going to a game with no band to play "Ring the Bells" after a touchdown. How about a Hobo Day Parade with no Pride? It just wouldn't be the same.

They are intertwined which can be a very good thing if they just work together as good as possible. I miss things like having the SDSU Drumline at basketball games, or the Hare-Raisin' Brass playing at events. There are so many spots where the band could help out. However, to do that does take a lot of time in the lives of the student-musicians just as it does for the athletes on the field. Do the students in the band have the time/desire to commit to doing the extras outside of the normal Band/Pep Band? I have no idea.

If it was up to me here's what I'd have the band doing:

1. On Football game day have different pods of the band roam the tailgate lots and play school songs, have the drumline play here and there, and then have the entire band march through the The Backyard on the way into the stadium.
                        2. Get more people involved with the Pep Band. Mainly more percussion. Have several members of the drumline to help bang out the State Cadence and other cheers. It might help get the students into it more, heck, maybe the entire crowd.
                        3. For the love of all things good, please update the play list for the Pep Band. I have been very critical of this for a long time. Jim Coull is widely respected as one of the best arrangers in the country. Yet, we show up to the game and hear "Ring of Fire" and Barbara Ann" at basketball games. Boy, those are sure sports anthems. The students were born 20 years after both those songs were hits. They're classics but don't fit there. If you go to the Summit League Tourney you see and here what other bands are doing. Our Pep Band plays everything well but the creativity of the others is much better.
                        4. Turn over a lot of the control to student leaders of the Pep Band. Let them come up with ideas. A) They will keep things fresh. B) They will be more into it.
                        5. All things played by the band or the PA should be geared towards getting the fans into it. I'm not advocating it goes as far as they do at NDSU but it could be much better.
                        6. The AD needs to make things on gameday more flexible. Everything is scripted. When you are at the next game, take note of how after the 8-minute media time out the entire spirit squad comes out onto the floor and does the State Cadence and plays Ring the Bells. People barely yell it out anymore where it used to be awesome. Then, when they play the fight song people start getting up out of their seats and then feel forced to clap to it. That sucks! WHEN THE JACKS GO ON A RUN AND THE CROWD GETS INTO IT, THAT'S WHEN YOU HAVE THAT SEQUENCE!!! GET RID OF THE SCRIPT!!! I know there are sponsors to thank and they deserve that. Their dollars are what makes a lot of this go round. Unfortunately, I think it is done at the expense of the game day experience.
                        7. Continue to find innovative things to do during the breaks. The Baby Race is great. Kiss Cam is solid. Oblivious Cam is good. None of those get the crowd into it.
                        8. The Pride should be given the opportunity to hold an indoor concert or two in the new SJAC and maybe host a band competition. That might be a nice "trade-out" for their services.

There is a unique opportunity here to remake the gameday experience in both football and basketball into something really cool. In a year or two we will have a an entirely new football stadium that will be the envy of all of FBS. Will we have the gameday experience to go with it? It would be a shame if we didn't take advantage of it! We are also blessed with two very solid basketball programs and it would be great to make Frost Arena into the home court advantage that it provided not so many years ago. IT can be done.

Sorry for the long post. I get a little fired up about this topic. The AD and the Music Department need to really strengthen their relationship to make this stuff happen. If they do, it will be the best possible situation for both entities. That sounds like a win-win situation to me. What do you think?

SUPERBUNNY
                        Solid ideas. Must spread the rep!
                        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

There is a song that used to be played back in the 70's or 80's prior to a kickoff in football that would love to have them bring back. I can hum it, but not tell you what it is. Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                            There is a song that used to be played back in the 70's or 80's prior to a kickoff in football that would love to have them bring back. I can hum it, but not tell you what it is. Any ideas?
                            Started out slow and sped up with everything blaring when ball was kicked?

SUPERBUNNY
                            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

They did have their indoor concert in the SJAC this year. I don't know if it is suitable for a marching band competition as the field is only 80 yards long I believe, some high marching bands utilize the entire field sometimes. You are correct about the game day operations and everything being scripted. It all started when we got that new scoreboard (I was drum major in the Pride at the time), they didn't let us every play in the stands because they had to run the ads on the scoreboard during timeouts and between quarters. One thing the band has been doing the past 5 years or so that we didn't do back in my day is playing between plays up to the snap of the ball. The band is actually a lot more involved during the actual game as they ever have been. Maybe Kevin has some new ideas as he has been involved during gameday operations with the band at Iowa both football and basketball the past 3 years. New blood, new ideas. Let's see if the administration/gameday operations people give any ground.
                              I also agree with you on having the band play through the tailgate area but only concern about that is the Backyard is pretty cramped especially on Hobo Day and bigger games. On Hobo Day, I could barely walk through there, let alone a 200 piece marching band. It would be cool if the band did a pre-game concert/pep rally deal like a lot of power conference schools do. Notre Dame is famous for doing that and I remember seeing Nebraska band playing a "concert" before the first SDSU game.

Comment

Working...
                              X