2016 Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016 Recruits

Thirteen scholarships for Div I mens basketball.
    Three open up (Bittle, Parks, Marshall). One signed (Vollbrecht). Have room for two additional.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
      Do the men get 13 or 14 scholarships? Bittle, Marshall, and Parks are the spots opening up with Vollbrecht picking up one of those. I think we would have 2 spots open with one going to the hot prospect transfer that we are hearing about. I do not know much about Brown, but I am guessing that at this point he will get minutes more like Jacobsen than minutes like Moffit. It would be great if he proves me wrong.
      Men are 13, women 15

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
        I remember him playing. And I like his game. I just don't remember him playing point guard like the previous poster I quoted said.
        I could be wrong, for some reason I thought Skyler spelled Parks a few minutes here and there at the PG spot early last year before George was eligible and Keaton burst on the scene. Even so who whoever backs up Gentry at PG it'll probably be sparingly, unless of course we bring in a transfer who is immediately eligible to play.

Daum seems very comfortable handling the ball so if we miss out on a transfer I could see him playing a little Point Forward while Gentry gets a breather. Iowa State did that a few years ago with Royce White when they had few options at PG.

Comment

@VerbalCommits's https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/st...040333824?s=09

https://youtu.be/FdUBZqmHdl4
          Last edited by jacks1; 03-28-2016, 12:13 PM.
          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Interesting skill set. It appears he goes to a combo high school/prep school that specializes in foreign students. It looks like he graduated a year ago and stayed on for a year of prep school, similiar to Tevin King. I saw the small gym sizes on the video and immediately questioned the level of competition - but it appears he has teammates getting full rides to Arizona State and Texas State, so it must be a pretty competitive type situation.

Comment

It appears that SDSU is his only offer based off of verbal commits? He has good size and looks like he has some quick hands.

Comment

I know you guys may not like this, but I promise I am being honest and not trolling - the guy's film really reminds me of watching ex-Coyote Adam Thoseby. Take that how you will, but it was the first thought that came to mind when I watched his film.

Comment

At first glance he seems a bit slow/clunky to me. Hard to tell at times if the defense was bad or if he made them look bad. Also, I can't believe some of the gyms they were playing in. We have nicer gyms in our little podunk towns in SD. The gym around the 2 minute mark was literally a barn!

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                    At first glance he seems a bit slow/clunky to me. Hard to tell at times if the defense was bad or if he made them look bad. Also, I can't believe some of the gyms they were playing in. We have nicer gyms in our little podunk towns in SD. The gym around the 2 minute mark was literally a barn!
                    Gym at 2-minute mark looks like Summit's high school gym.
                    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B9RGHtxCUAETV4N.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                      At first glance he seems a bit slow/clunky to me. Hard to tell at times if the defense was bad or if he made them look bad.
                      This is the exact same thing I thought when I watched it. At times he didn't look like he was very quick but he could get to the basket, so maybe its because he is 6'4" and doesn't seem to be moving that quick but can cover a lot of ground quickly. But my first thought was not that he is going to come in and take control right away. When I watch a highlight video of a someone I expect them to completely standout and wow you but this video didn't do it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolina010 View Post
                        This is the exact same thing I thought when I watched it. At times he didn't look like he was very quick but he could get to the basket, so maybe its because he is 6'4" and doesn't seem to be moving that quick but can cover a lot of ground quickly. But my first thought was not that he is going to come in and take control right away. When I watch a highlight video of a someone I expect them to completely standout and wow you but this video didn't do it for me.
                        This video displays his athleticism a little more:

I know the gyms aren't much, but the competition is usually there for these prep school kids. Kid looks like a glider to me (he's 6'4"), so he is probably quicker and faster than some are giving him credit for (plus, to reiterate, the competition he is facing is of a high caliber).
                        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                        - Steven Wright

Comment

He lookes like a poor mans nate wolters tearing up the local ymca B league. He is a little crafty and floated midrange pull up jumpers. Didn't see a lot of 3s. But in the high lights was good shifty driving in. Seemed a bit slow and hard to tell how the defense really is with out watching entire games.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Would this guy be in addition to a juco or grad transfer?

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                              He lookes like a poor mans nate wolters tearing up the local ymca B league. He is a little crafty and floated midrange pull up jumpers. Didn't see a lot of 3s. But in the high lights was good shifty driving in. Seemed a bit slow and hard to tell how the defense really is with out watching entire games.
                              I'm sure you're being facetious with "ymca B league" comment, but I can assure you the competition he is playing with/against would better than most of the top high school teams in the state of SD.

The kids on these national prep school basketball teams are generally already a year out of high school and they are there specifically to play basketball, either because of grades or to display their talents against a higher level of competition.
                              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                              - Steven Wright

Comment

Not overly impressed with his athleticism either, but we've had other guards like Moffit and Bittle that weren't overly athletic and have contributed in recent years.

Comment

Working...
                                X