Scholarship vs. Walk on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scholarship vs. Walk on

A lot of time is spent discussing recruits and walk on vs. scholarship athletes. There have been some years when the walkons barely get mentioned by the press and a look back over the past couple of years reveals some big contributions from walkons. The list below is from the past couple years based on memory. Which Jackrabbit has had the biggest impact? Please add to this list:

2012 HS Grads:
    Gottlob - started as a d-tackle this year and had a good season in a fairly new position (was previously listed as a tight end). Great potential.
    Pietz - makes big plays on special teams and a good backup linebacker
    Schuester - good special teams player and good linebacker when healthy
    Kreutzfeldt - another important contributor on special teams and linebacker

2013 HS Grads:
    Soulek - had some great plays as d-tackle when healthy. Huge potential.
    Mengarelli - incredibly quick, will be a great weapon for the offense as a running back/wing back, had some huge plays this year.
    Louscher - played well as fullback when Strehlow was injured (for those keeping score - he is from Iowa!)
    Trenhaile - with the weather conditions the last 3 outside games this year, he might be the best bad weather snapper in the FCS.
    Goedert - had a very good year at tight end, could have a huge impact in next few years and may still be growing.
    Balster - made some very nice contributions on special teams until injured later in the year (another player from Iowa!)

I'm sure there are others.

Re: Scholarship vs. Walk on

Zimmer should have reviewed this prior to his article today.

Comment

I suspect those guys are all on scholarships now. Good walk-ons don't remain walk-ons. They can earn scholarships.
      This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
        I suspect those guys are all on scholarships now. Good walk-ons don't remain walk-ons. They can earn scholarships.
        I think Stig has actually proven to be very good at "rewarding" talented walk-ons over the years.

Comment

Working...
        X