Let's give credit to Coach Nagy and the Coaching Staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's give credit to Coach Nagy and the Coaching Staff

On the heels of our eighth straight win in the conference and a stretch where they are winning by wide margins it is easy to say that things are going well. It didn't start that way. I think the credit needs to go to Coach Nagy and his staff.

We've been really spoiled as Jacks fans for a while now. The last few years have been highlighted by some incredible teams and a once in a lifetime player in Nate Wolters. Success has followed.

I think it is important to take a look back as it gives historical perspective to where we've been, what we've gone through, and where we are headed. I've been a Jacks fan and in particular a basketball fan for more than 40 years. Heck, I remember when a young Scott Nagy was hear as an assistant to then Head Coach Jim Thorson. All those players on the historical intro videos before the games? Yep, watched them all.

We sometimes forget how successful the Nagy teams were at the D2 level. His teams won 5 NCC titles and went to the NCAA tournament 8 times. His teams went 210-59 (78% wins) at the D2 level. His teams not only performed on the court but were good students and good people.

Then SDSU transitioned to D1 which is harder in MBB than any other sport. Coach Nagy could have bailed out. He didn't. The several years following were predictably very difficult. Lots of losses, lots of time on the road, and nothing to really play for even if they were successful. It was natural for all of us to question if he was the right guy. Could he coach at the D1 level was a common discussion.

Scott stayed true to himself and his beliefs and the AD rewarded him for staying through the transition by being patient in the transition years. It was a painful process and one that probably helped him grow a lot as a coach.

SDSU's transition was ended and membership to the Summit League was gained which gave Nagy and his staff a better schedule and things to play for. Recruiting improved and the product on the court followed suit. The talent level on the teams improved every year.

Then Nate Wolters arrived. He was the perfect player to be coached by Scott Nagy. Together with a talented team they turned the Jacks into one of the best teams in the Summit and won the tournament twice advancing to the NCAA tournament. Nate went on to the NBA and is in his second year.

Last year a very talented team returned but without their leader in Wolters. They had a very good year but came up short in making the tournament.

That brings us to this year. An almost entirely new cast of players thrust into the limelight with the exception of Cody Larson. Not only new players to getting playing time in games but entirely new to the program. That's a challenge for any staff. Add in that Marshall wasn't eligible until semester break. The three seasons in one has been talked about a lot on here.

All that brings us back to the present. This team is playing their best ball and improving each game. That is the exciting thing is that they are headed the right way for the end of the year. My belief is that this has been Nagy's best year of coaching in his 20 years here. That credit also goes to the staff and obviously the players. Jacks fans are again being treated to a year of great basketball with the optimism of what the end of the year brings.

Through it all Scott Nagy has remained true to himself, true to his faith, and dedicated to the coaches and players that come to work with him. He has turned out quality men that go on to do good things after basketball. The wins keep piling up. We are fortunate to keep enjoying it. Players and assistants come and go. The one constant has been Coach Nagy

There's a long way to go yet this season but I can't wait to watch each and every game. It has been a pleasure to be a Jacks fan and to have a quality man like Scott Nagy at the helm. I'm like the rest of you. I admit to having times where I questioned the way things were done at times. What the hell do I know? Who am I to crititcize. I don't say that to admonish those that do. Not at all. I merely wanted to put a historical perspective on what has happened under Coach Nagy and how we need to appreciate how fortunate we have been to have such quality people as we do involved with SDSU Athletics.

The future couldn't be a whole lot brighter. I can't wait but I intend to enjoy every second of this season.

Keep it up men!

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Re: Let's give credit to Coach Nagy and the Coaching Staff

Good post, great perspective.

I've had my share of complaints (and some of Coach Nagy's personality/coaching styles do still rub me the wrong way), but its hard to argue with results.

I have been most impressed with Coach Nagy's ability to change, something he really didn't have to do at the DII level. We usually had the best roster in the NCC. Many coaches would not have been able to make the adjustments he did.

In all, we are lucky to have him, and lucky to be fans of a school with such great basketball tradition.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

And tossing in the 2013 article about the great per win value Nagy has been willing to work for here at SDSU, he truly has muddled through the tough transition, and is bringing in talent that can compete with any mid-major program.

We fans knew that the 2014-15 season was going to be a challenge on how well all the new players molded into Nagy's system. Overall, IMHO, solidly coming together for the Summit League games, and did better OOC than expected.

Still looking at a good shot at a 20 to 25 game winning performance this season before it ends.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
        On the heels of our eighth straight win in the conference and a stretch where they are winning by wide margins it is easy to say that things are going well. It didn't start that way. I think the credit needs to go to Coach Nagy and his staff.

We've been really spoiled as Jacks fans for a while now. The last few years have been highlighted by some incredible teams and a once in a lifetime player in Nate Wolters. Success has followed.

I think it is important to take a look back as it gives historical perspective to where we've been, what we've gone through, and where we are headed. I've been a Jacks fan and in particular a basketball fan for more than 40 years. Heck, I remember when a young Scott Nagy was hear as an assistant to then Head Coach Jim Thorson. All those players on the historical intro videos before the games? Yep, watched them all.

We sometimes forget how successful the Nagy teams were at the D2 level. His teams won 5 NCC titles and went to the NCAA tournament 8 times. His teams went 210-59 (78% wins) at the D2 level. His teams not only performed on the court but were good students and good people.

Then SDSU transitioned to D1 which is harder in MBB than any other sport. Coach Nagy could have bailed out. He didn't. The several years following were predictably very difficult. Lots of losses, lots of time on the road, and nothing to really play for even if they were successful. It was natural for all of us to question if he was the right guy. Could he coach at the D1 level was a common discussion.

Scott stayed true to himself and his beliefs and the AD rewarded him for staying through the transition by being patient in the transition years. It was a painful process and one that probably helped him grow a lot as a coach.

SDSU's transition was ended and membership to the Summit League was gained which gave Nagy and his staff a better schedule and things to play for. Recruiting improved and the product on the court followed suit. The talent level on the teams improved every year.

Then Nate Wolters arrived. He was the perfect player to be coached by Scott Nagy. Together with a talented team they turned the Jacks into one of the best teams in the Summit and won the tournament twice advancing to the NCAA tournament. Nate went on to the NBA and is in his second year.

Last year a very talented team returned but without their leader in Wolters. They had a very good year but came up short in making the tournament.

That brings us to this year. An almost entirely new cast of players thrust into the limelight with the exception of Cody Larson. Not only new players to getting playing time in games but entirely new to the program. That's a challenge for any staff. Add in that Marshall wasn't eligible until semester break. The three seasons in one has been talked about a lot on here.

All that brings us back to the present. This team is playing their best ball and improving each game. That is the exciting thing is that they are headed the right way for the end of the year. My belief is that this has been Nagy's best year of coaching in his 20 years here. That credit also goes to the staff and obviously the players. Jacks fans are again being treated to a year of great basketball with the optimism of what the end of the year brings.

Through it all Scott Nagy has remained true to himself, true to his faith, and dedicated to the coaches and players that come to work with him. He has turned out quality men that go on to do good things after basketball. The wins keep piling up. We are fortunate to keep enjoying it. Players and assistants come and go. The one constant has been Coach Nagy

There's a long way to go yet this season but I can't wait to watch each and every game. It has been a pleasure to be a Jacks fan and to have a quality man like Scott Nagy at the helm. I'm like the rest of you. I admit to having times where I questioned the way things were done at times. What the hell do I know? Who am I to crititcize. I don't say that to admonish those that do. Not at all. I merely wanted to put a historical perspective on what has happened under Coach Nagy and how we need to appreciate how fortunate we have been to have such quality people as we do involved with SDSU Athletics.

The future couldn't be a whole lot brighter. I can't wait but I intend to enjoy every second of this season.

Keep it up men!

SUPERBUNNY
        Unless our lives end now, we shouldn't think of Nate Wolters as a once in a lifetime player. Jacks are D1, they should have a solid recruit at least every couple of years. It appears that coaching is stronger than recruiting.

Comment

Originally posted by RochJack69 View Post
          Unless our lives end now, we shouldn't think of Nate Wolters as a once in a lifetime player. Jacks are D1, they should have a solid recruit at least every couple of years. It appears that coaching is stronger than recruiting.
          Nate Wolters was though unless a Steph Curry or Dame Lilliard comes here. Ended up first in points, assists and 3rd in steals. Summit League POY, honorable mention AA his junior year and third team AA his senior year. Totally changed SDSUs program as he took SDSU to its first two NCAA berths. You could argue that the teams will be better but it is incredibly hard to say that Nate Wolters isn't a once in a generation player.
          "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

um, seventh straight, but sentiment remains

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
              Nate Wolters was though unless a Steph Curry or Dame Lilliard comes here. Ended up first in points, assists and 3rd in steals. Summit League POY, honorable mention AA his junior year and third team AA his senior year. Totally changed SDSUs program as he took SDSU to its first two NCAA berths. You could argue that the teams will be better but it is incredibly hard to say that Nate Wolters isn't a once in a generation player.
              Yep. To put it in perspective, there have been about 110 years of SDSU basketball, Jordan Dykstra is one of three guys to have 1500 points and 800 rebounds. In other words, we get a Jordan Dykstra every 33 years or so on average. You could say he was a twice in a lifetime player.

Jordan Dykstra had committed to Iowa State and was pursued by several other majors. A fantastic recruit, the type of recruit we might only get every once in awhile.

He was a 4 year starter, shot 49% from the field, 45% from three, 78% on free throws, and averaged over 6 rebounds a game. He has the two best 3 point shooting seasons in SDSU history, has the career three point shooting percentage record, and played power forward.

He made an all conference team 4 years, all conference tournament team 2 years, academic all summit league 2 years, academic all american,

Dykstra is 3rd in number of games played, 5th all time leading scorer, 6th in total three point field goals made, 4th in rebounds, 6th in 3 point field goals made.

IMO, we will have 5-10 players like Jordan in the next 50 years. However, if our teams are consistently good, starting all 4 years will become more and more rare. We may never even see someone put up Dykstra-like numbers in our lifetimes. We will be extremely lucky to have another like Nate Wolters.

There will be many exciting players, and people may argue, but Nate was on another level. IMO.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Is this thread about Nagy or Wolters? I am lost but that's the trend for me. Our little bald friend who now wears red ties should get the credit for getting Wolters to SDSU.
                Last edited by Nidaros; 01-30-2015, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  Is this thread about Nagy or Wolters? I am lost but that not that's the trend for me. Our little bald friend who now wears red ties should get the credit for getting Wolters to SDSU.
                  Truth.
                  "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                  "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                    Truth.
                    And all I know is what I read on the message boards. Sometimes there is good and accurate information.

Comment

I tried to give credit to Nagy and all of the people that have been on his staff. There have been many that have done great things. Yes, that one guy that now wears red did get him to come here.

As for Wolters being a once in a lifetime player, I hope that we keep moving up the ladder and down the road we can say he was one of the greats. For now, IMHO he gets the distinction but that's splitting hairs.

My only intent for putting this up was for historical perspective and to illustrate how good things currently are and that we have a good man leading the program.

Big game tomorrow. BE THERE! And bring the noise!

SUPERBUNNY
                      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                        Truth.
                        Truth is that if Nagy hadn't wanted Wolters at SDSU, Wolters wouldn't have been at SDSU.

Truth also is that assistant coaches do most of the recruiting in Division I.

In Wolters' case, Hansen made and nurtured the personal connection with Wolters.

This might be new and novel for SDSU fans, but it is not at all unusual in higher profile D-I programs.

I'm not sure how you can look at how the whole Wolters story played out without at the end thinking that Nagy handled it pretty well, all in all. I'm baffled at how someone can possibly see it negatively, anyway.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                          Truth is that if Nagy hadn't wanted Wolters at SDSU, Wolters wouldn't have been at SDSU.

In Wolters' case, Hansen made and nurtured the personal connection with Wolters.

This might be new and novel for SDSU fans, but it is not at all unusual in higher profile D-I programs.

I'm not sure how you can look at how the whole Wolters story played out without at the end thinking that Nagy handled it pretty well, all in all. I'm baffled at how someone can possibly see it negatively, anyway.
                          ^ Exactly ^

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

Who may I ask is viewing this in a negative light? I am not. Its just the discourse of the thread was going from Nagy to Wolters and if he was or was not the best in history. I think he is until someone breaks the records of Wolters. Yes we are lucky to have hung on to Coach Nagy. What I don't like about the D1 and more so in the Power 5 is the celebrity status that some of these head coaches acquire through big salaries and advertisement endorsements. Coach Nagy is a very private person and I hope he remains that way as long as he is associated with SDSU.

One final thing about Coach Hansen, and that is he had probably known Wolters for a long time and had his eye on him when he was the assistant at Mankato. Yes he did his yeoman work in recruiting and that was what I thought deserved mention. If you noticed I referred to him as our little friend which might be understatement since he is 6 2 or thereabouts, but his moving around from Northern Colorado to USD is probably for a good reason. That reason being he is grooming himself for a head coaching job, Coach Nagy is not so young anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by RochJack69 View Post
                              I agree. Nate Wolters was great and helped the Jacks raise their level of play, but a team needs to recruit players at his level on a semi-regular basis if it wants to win games in the Dance and not settle for getting to the tournament now and then.
                              This space for lease.

Comment

Working...
                              X