Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Frost arena fans

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    Had a spare moment so I thought I would complain. I sit in the reserved section, upper level, midcourt. There are fans in front of and behind me that complain when others stand, cheer, breath loudly or fart. I can see being upset about the farting....
    Hmmm....I think MD's making a confession.

Serious: These complaints are legitimate and not limited to SDSU fans. My reading tells me there's a trend nationwide for smaller student crowds and complacent crowds in general. Message boards of our conference mates echo the same complaints. There are always exceptions (e.g. Duke) and we have to figure out how to be one of those exceptions. Once in a while when the crowd gets into it, I will comment to my wife 'sometimes it sounds like we're in Frost Arena' (in other words: 'much of the time it doesn't').

Even those who just sit and watch have to agree that when the crowd is really into the game, the atmosphere is exciting for everyone including the visiting team. Those are the games we talk about years later -- even if we lose. I hope everyone can recall at least one occasion when they contributed to crowd noise that, by sheer force of will, seemed to pick the Jacks up, push them onward, or helped a scoring run continue.

MD: Just keep screaming. That's contagious. (But take it easy on the farting.) Go Jacks!

Comment

I am fortunate that no one has been grouchy about my standing up. It might be that there are fewer rows behind me to complain! Overall, it seems that Frost gets noisy frequently as the game changes. I can certainly see that some people do not make as much noise, but the applause is normally there. Many of the people in my area would be considered older. There are always a few who do not stand even during applause. It seemed that in the D2 days there was always more crowd noise that included things like "Let's go Rabbits". The students seem to be pushing the noise and fun during the men's games recently. Everyone in our area seems to enjoy the antics of the students. One young man brought an entertaining poster to the USD game with a Wheel of Fortune theme. The students have been fewer for the women's games. The home games have had some good moments for the fans to enjoy and make noise. What are some of the things should be happening? It seems this year the cheerleaders are more vocal and the students have followed that lead more. The intensity in Frost also moves with the pep band following a good run and opponent's timeout. Larger crowds are always a plus for the intensity(invite a friend to the game).
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
        I am fortunate that no one has been grouchy about my standing up. It might be that there are fewer rows behind me to complain! Overall, it seems that Frost gets noisy frequently as the game changes. I can certainly see that some people do not make as much noise, but the applause is normally there. Many of the people in my area would be considered older. There are always a few who do not stand even during applause. It seemed that in the D2 days there was always more crowd noise that included things like "Let's go Rabbits". The students seem to be pushing the noise and fun during the men's games recently. Everyone in our area seems to enjoy the antics of the students. One young man brought an entertaining poster to the USD game with a Wheel of Fortune theme. The students have been fewer for the women's games. The home games have had some good moments for the fans to enjoy and make noise. What are some of the things should be happening? It seems this year the cheerleaders are more vocal and the students have followed that lead more. The intensity in Frost also moves with the pep band following a good run and opponent's timeout. Larger crowds are always a plus for the intensity(invite a friend to the game).
        Are they allowed to do sound effects over the PA system, i think that would be hilarious for certain events such as draining sounds on a made basket( ah,second thought,no.might confuse it with "down the toilet"), traveling music, etc. I'm thinking not, or they'd be doing it somewhere.Could have humorous things on the video boards with no sound(?) It's hard to get a couple thousand people all on the same page and involved in chants,etc, students on the other hand.....
        Can we get the Marine Corps rifle drill team booked for halftime, those guys are amazing, if they can fit it into the time frame.Maybe when we play the "leathernecks".
        Last edited by jackdaniel; 01-23-2015, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jacked_up_rabbit View Post
          Do you guys have any ideas the Student Section could do to make it a better atmosphere? What else do you want out of them? I think attendance has been good but one side has been a lot more active than the other.
          Don't know. Crowds at the old "Barn" never had a problem getting into the spirit. Many other things to distract, now.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            I've got grey hair and I'm helping to pay those bills as well. I'm fine with them not standing but keep the complaining to a minimum or I might be inclined to refer to you as a grumpy old hag. Have a snickers before the game and enjoy the moment.
            Fairly accurate :-) tightwad also!

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
              IMO, this problem will only grow with increasing ticket prices. Prices in Frost are substantially higher than they were in the glory days, and I know of several former season ticket holders who don't go to games regularly anymore. That means more white collars, and fewer blue collar and no collar workers in the stands. Blue and no collars go to the game to have a good time. White collars often go because their tickets are a write-off and they don't have anything else better to do. Not intended as a knock on anybody, just the way I see it - generally speaking. When Williams Arena gets really loud, the upper section is full of people who might attend 1-2 games a year. People who came to have a good time and make some noise. The season ticket holders in the lower level are very bleh, IMO.

Other than that, I agree with everything you say.

An interesting and not widely known nuance about Duke's Cameron Indoor Stadium. The last row of the lower level is about 6-ish feet below the first row in the upper level. The place was practically built to look awesome and intimidating on TV (quite a coincidental/genius design since it was built in 1940).

Here is the empty arena (notice how much higher the upper level is from the lower):

Here it is at the start of a Duke/UNC game (their biggest rival):

It looks to me like the entire upper section is sitting comfortably in their chairs. I'm sure the gray hairs stand and cheer regularly, and it is an awesome and intimidating atmosphere.
              Frost use to have wood bleachers that were lower to the ground and gave much better sight lines. It was great for a couple years before they ruined frost. Being a student in the old section was great.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                Since we are talking about complaints. Hey corporate/business seat holders (or season ticket holders that never show up), get your tickets to people that will show up to the games. Looking across to the seats behind the benches are often times left empty. Not all, but enough.
                AGREE! Just give them away

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyRabbitFoot View Post
                  AGREE! Just give them away
                  I've mentioned this before , but I don't understand why the Athletic Dept. doesn't allow season ticket holders to "gift" tickets they know they are not going to use back to the school. They could then be sold as walk up tickets. It would basically be selling these tickets twice , which would be good for the bottom line and would help fill in those blank spots.

Comment

Video put together by SDSU athletics on recent coaches/player comments about Frost atmosphere and fans.

http://t.co/xO6fEKKvbE

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                      Video put together by SDSU athletics on recent coaches/player comments about Frost atmosphere and fans.

http://t.co/xO6fEKKvbE
                      Nice video. 10+ point wins for every men's and women's conference basketball game at Frost so far this year show that there's definitely something to the Frost Arena mystique. I'm looking forward to hearing it roar again for Saturday's double-header and expect there will be a big crowd. My parent's are even making a solid 3-hour drive to be there.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                        Nice video. 10+ point wins for every men's and women's conference basketball game at Frost so far this year show that there's definitely something to the Frost Arena mystique. I'm looking forward to hearing it roar again for Saturday's double-header and expect there will be a big crowd. My parent's are even making a solid 3-hour drive to be there.
                        I wonder what YFE has to say about this? (apologies if it was CF)

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                          I wonder what YFE has to say about this? (apologies if it was CF)
                          He thinks out concessions are a joke. All that crowd noise is just....well.....noise.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                            He thinks out concessions are a joke. All that crowd noise is just....well.....noise.
                            Seems that well, PROFESSIONAL BASKETBALL COACHES seem to disagree that it has poor atmosphere. So, we can have our opinion, and the people who disagree can just be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              I've mentioned this before , but I don't understand why the Athletic Dept. doesn't allow season ticket holders to "gift" tickets they know they are not going to use back to the school. They could then be sold as walk up tickets. It would basically be selling these tickets twice , which would be good for the bottom line and would help fill in those blank spots.
                              This is something that should be brought to the Administration. I really don't know if there is any existing policy covering this matter.
                              I am not aware of any thing in writing, at least I have not seen any. Not that scalpers have been a problem ever for SDSU, a policy like this would prevent any ill gotten profit motives that some one might have. A good idea.

Comment

You want to know how cool it could be in Frost Arena? Check this out from Maryland!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...mming-national

Now, I'm not saying this is exactly what I want. But, with a little planning, or maybe a lot of planning you can come up with something that creates not only an amazing atmosphere but something that the fans want to be a part of. Look at how those students get into. Also, notice that they have the very lower bowl all the way around except behind the visitor bench. That is also how it should be.

SUPERBUNNY
                                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X