Frost arena fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frost arena fans

Had a spare moment so I thought I would complain. I sit in the reserved section, upper level, midcourt. There are fans in front of and behind me that complain when others stand, cheer, breath loudly or fart. I can see being upset about the farting. Otherwise, don't come to the damn game if you don't want to cheer or see or hear others cheer. Sit at home and listen on the radio. I'm about ready to kick someone in the rear end.

I expect these are the same fans that pollute CAS with their complacency and general lackluster support for the Jackrabbits. No doubt they are paying customers and have rights but its a college ball game against a major rival. Stand up and clap.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Frost arena fans

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    Had a spare moment so I thought I would complain. I sit in the reserved section, upper level, midcourt. There are fans in front of and behind me that complain when others stand, cheer, breath loudly or fart. I can see being upset about the farting. Otherwise, don't come to the damn game if you don't want to cheer or see or hear others cheer. Sit at home and listen on the radio. I'm about ready to kick someone in the rear end.

I expect these are the same fans that pollute CAS with their complacency and general lackluster support for the Jackrabbits. No doubt they are paying customers and have rights but its a college ball game against a major rival. Stand up and clap.
    Just look over at me in the section over. I am right there w/ you standing.

Comment

I don't know what to say except that not everyone is Jack#1Fan and get off their duff in a second. Some have been coming for decades and almost feel like they own part of Frost Arena. All the horrible student athtletes eventually graduate and we never see them again, but that's not the case with our fellow fans. They will never graduate into the Bison era, but prefer that sitting and occasionally will applaud a basket. I seen some complaint on Bisonville about fans bringing knitting needles to the game and knit as the game goes on. Its happens in Fargo too.

I have one fan who sits behind me in football who has an obnoxious sounding voice and thinks she knows everyone who comes up and down the isle. I hoping she will not seated anywhere near me when the stadium comes in being. I got a feeling that her husband has the resources to acquire a suite, which will cure my annoyance. I don't have any answers.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        I don't know what to say except that not everyone is Jack#1Fan and get off their duff in a second. Some have been coming for decades and almost feel like they own part of Frost Arena. All the horrible student athtletes eventually graduate and we never see them again, but that's not the case with our fellow fans. They will never graduate into the Bison era, but prefer that sitting and occasionally will applaud a basket. I seen some complaint on Bisonville about fans bringing knitting needles to the game and knit as the game goes on. Its happens in Fargo too.

I have one fan who sits behind me in football who has an obnoxious sounding voice and thinks she knows everyone who comes up and down the isle. I hoping she will not seated anywhere near me when the stadium comes in being. I got a feeling that her husband has the resources to acquire a suite, which will cure my annoyance. I don't have any answers.
        Hear that. Some view it as a social event and aren't even aware there is a game going on. I'm not talking about continuous cheering for rowdy activity like might be seen in the student section. I'm talking about occasionally rising to your feet to cheer on the team when the moment is appropriate. For some those moments never occur and I find that unfortunate.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Hear that. Some view it as a social event and aren't even aware there is a game going on. I'm not talking about continuous cheering for rowdy activity like might be seen in the student section. I'm talking about occasionally rising to your feet to cheer on the team when the moment is appropriate. For some those moments never occur and I find that unfortunate.
          Since we are talking about complaints. Hey corporate/business seat holders (or season ticket holders that never show up), get your tickets to people that will show up to the games. Looking across to the seats behind the benches are often times left empty. Not all, but enough.

Comment

If they dont want to stand, they should be able to watch the game on the scoreboard, while sitting on their a$$. Im mid court but row 14. Everyone in the area stands up and if they dont, i dont hear any complaining. We have 4 seats by us that have only been used twice this year. I also wish people would find someone to use the tickets if they cant be there, i always do. Uh, well except for tonight. The crap that everyone has been getting at work has finally got to me. So im going to stay home and watch it on the computer. I have 2 tickets if anyone is passing by Ethan.

Comment

I don't have any beef with how others choose to enjoy Jackrabbit athletics. Stand, sit, or knit, its your dime.

Just don't get mad at me if I choose to stand and cheer at an athletic event.

I will say that there is definitely a difference between cheering and being obnoxious though. I'm assuming this doesn't apply to fans like MD, but being next to the guy who stands, curses, and screams all night long can get pretty darn old.

Also, I've sat everywhere from nosebleeds to courtside at majors and pro-sports, and there is a BIG difference in appropriate fan behavior depending on where you are located in the arena.

All in all, I agree with JackMD's sentiments.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                I don't have any beef with how others choose to enjoy Jackrabbit athletics. Stand, sit, or knit, its your dime.

Just don't get mad at me if I choose to stand and cheer at an athletic event.

I will say that there is definitely a difference between cheering and being obnoxious though. I'm assuming this doesn't apply to fans like MD, but being next to the guy who stands, curses, and screams all night long can get pretty darn old.

Also, I've sat everywhere from nosebleeds to courtside at majors and pro-sports, and there is a BIG difference in appropriate fan behavior depending on where you are located in the arena.

All in all, I agree with JackMD's sentiments.
                Cursing should not be tolerated. I have 3 young children that attend with me and vulgar language is not something I want them to hear. You do that where I'm sitting and I'm going to have a chat with you. If it doesn't stop an usher will be asking you to leave. If that doesn't happen security will haul your butt out. I've had to do that at a Twins game before.

I'm not talking about being obnoxious, vulgar or offensive. I'm talking about cheering for the jackrabbits. Not yelling at the ref, chiding the opposition or banging your noise maker on the persons head in front of you. I'm talking about getting out of your seat and clapping or cheering when the Jackrabbits make a run or there is a remarkable play on offense of defense.

Comment

This is why I always sit top row, whether at Frost or at CAS....I stand the entire game without worry of pissing someone off.

To be clear, I'm not "that" guy SF Rabbit references...I don't curse and scream, rather, I actually cheer for the Jackrabbits.
                  "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

I'm certainly in the camp of cheering the team on and getting out of my seat. I've heard plenty of "Down in front" over the years. The folks behind me now are rarely there so it has died down.

The atmosphere in Frost is a mere shadow of its former self. Sure, it can get loud for the U or Bison game but rarely outside of that. I miss the loud, raucous environment that it used to be. No, I don't mean being vulgar or cursing. Standing during the fight song, cheering the State Cadence, and just generally making a lot of noise. We should and could have a huge home court advantage. It's not what it could be.

About ten years ago we sat next to a longtime Jacks fan that has since past and would be over a hundred years old now. During an NDSU game when the Jacks made a run the folks in the then blue seats pried there butts up out of their seats and yelled for a minute until given the opportunity. He said, "It's about damn time we get out off our asses and make some noise for those guys. They're working there butts off." I have to believe there are a lot of people that feel that way.

Check out the atmosphere at places like Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, and even at the Gopher games. People get into the game and it makes it a great atmosphere. We could have it that way but it takes the corporate guy, the casual fan, the student and even the AD Staff in charge of game management to make things happen. For instance, right now, the cheer team comes out at the under 8 minute media timeout and does the State Cadence followed by Ring the Bells whether the moment is right or not. It is so tightly scripted. I get that there are ads to be read, people to thank, events to announce. I'm saying get those out of the way early so that down the stretch we can work the crowd into a frenzy and keep them there.

Sorry for the long post but I get as frustrated by this as just about anything when it comes to being a Jacks fan.

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                      I'm certainly in the camp of cheering the team on and getting out of my seat. I've heard plenty of "Down in front" over the years. The folks behind me now are rarely there so it has died down.

The atmosphere in Frost is a mere shadow of its former self. Sure, it can get loud for the U or Bison game but rarely outside of that. I miss the loud, raucous environment that it used to be. No, I don't mean being vulgar or cursing. Standing during the fight song, cheering the State Cadence, and just generally making a lot of noise. We should and could have a huge home court advantage. It's not what it could be.

About ten years ago we sat next to a longtime Jacks fan that has since past and would be over a hundred years old now. During an NDSU game when the Jacks made a run the folks in the then blue seats pried there butts up out of their seats and yelled for a minute until given the opportunity. He said, "It's about damn time we get out off our asses and make some noise for those guys. They're working there butts off." I have to believe there are a lot of people that feel that way.

Check out the atmosphere at places like Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, and even at the Gopher games. People get into the game and it makes it a great atmosphere. We could have it that way but it takes the corporate guy, the casual fan, the student and even the AD Staff in charge of game management to make things happen. For instance, right now, the cheer team comes out at the under 8 minute media timeout and does the State Cadence followed by Ring the Bells whether the moment is right or not. It is so tightly scripted. I get that there are ads to be read, people to thank, events to announce. I'm saying get those out of the way early so that down the stretch we can work the crowd into a frenzy and keep them there.

Sorry for the long post but I get as frustrated by this as just about anything when it comes to being a Jacks fan.

SUPERBUNNY
                      IMO, this problem will only grow with increasing ticket prices. Prices in Frost are substantially higher than they were in the glory days, and I know of several former season ticket holders who don't go to games regularly anymore. That means more white collars, and fewer blue collar and no collar workers in the stands. Blue and no collars go to the game to have a good time. White collars often go because their tickets are a write-off and they don't have anything else better to do. Not intended as a knock on anybody, just the way I see it - generally speaking. When Williams Arena gets really loud, the upper section is full of people who might attend 1-2 games a year. People who came to have a good time and make some noise. The season ticket holders in the lower level are very bleh, IMO.

Other than that, I agree with everything you say.

An interesting and not widely known nuance about Duke's Cameron Indoor Stadium. The last row of the lower level is about 6-ish feet below the first row in the upper level. The place was practically built to look awesome and intimidating on TV (quite a coincidental/genius design since it was built in 1940).

Here is the empty arena (notice how much higher the upper level is from the lower):

Here it is at the start of a Duke/UNC game (their biggest rival):

It looks to me like the entire upper section is sitting comfortably in their chairs. I'm sure the gray hairs stand and cheer regularly, and it is an awesome and intimidating atmosphere.
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Don't complain too much, they are helping to pay the bills. Non dynamic play puts a lot of people to sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by RochJack69 View Post
                          Don't complain too much, they are helping to pay the bills. Non dynamic play puts a lot of people to sleep.
                          I've got grey hair and I'm helping to pay those bills as well. I'm fine with them not standing but keep the complaining to a minimum or I might be inclined to refer to you as a grumpy old hag. Have a snickers before the game and enjoy the moment.

Comment

I've got grey hair and I'm helping to pay those bills as well. I'm fine with them not standing but keep the complaining to a minimum or I might be inclined to refer to you as a grumpy old hag. Have a snickers before the game and enjoy the moment.
                            Have a Snickers? That was classic.

It just surprise me a little bit that the older crowd, no matter what color their "collar" is, doesn't make a little more noise. Wasn't there a time when sitting during the game was considered disrespectful?

I'm with you jackmd on not being upset if people don't stand up. Just don't get after me if I do. Also, make some noise?

SUPERBUNNY
                            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Do you guys have any ideas the Student Section could do to make it a better atmosphere? What else do you want out of them? I think attendance has been good but one side has been a lot more active than the other.

Comment

Working...
                              X