Reed Tellinghusen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reed Tellinghusen

Sarcasm aside. You have to be a threat to shoot. Parks is known as a 3pt shooter. If he squares up to shoot, someone will close out. He's quick and once he get's a step he'll beat the guy closing out. When you are struggling to make shots, jacking up everything because it's your role as a d1 shooting guard can be detrimental to the team. Not sure how his size has anything to do with it. Shooting 27% is the issue. And in his last 8 games he's shooting 22%. If ALL he could do was shoot 3's then he would be on the bench. He's a good ft shooter as well. You're in a slump put the ball on floor and get to the line.

As my old coach used to tell us, if you find yourself wide open on the floor, there's probably a reason.

Comment

Parks should fake the 3, drive and pass it to Reed. This is Telly's thread. (don't overthink it, Parks isn't shooting well, he should shoot less until he is shooting better, makes perfect sense)
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        Parks should fake the 3, drive and pass it to Reed. This is Telly's thread. (don't overthink it, Parks isn't shooting well, he should shoot less until he is shooting better, makes perfect sense)
        Pretty much my thoughts just you used fewer words.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

This is the last I'll say on Deondre in Reed's thread.

Again, what respectable defender is going to go for that fake when the player is struggling from 3 and is known as a drive to the basket player? And how will he know if he is shooting better if he doesn't keep shooting open looks? Not intended as sarcasm, but the coaches are obviously fine with him shooting like he is. USD was daring him to shoot and the whole team was collapsing on him when he did drive.

I rewatched his three point attempts on ESPN3.

16:39 - Miss. Larson screened his man, Telly passed to him, sets his feet. Would be a great look for anybody shooting over 30%.
          15:29 - Miss. Wiiiiide open.
          14:10 - Miss. Wiiiiide open.
          7:35 - Make. Wiiiiide open.
          5:31 - Miss. Wiiiiide open.

4/5 any guard in the nation should take those shots. Heck, Cody Larson should take some of them if he is that open. IMO, Parks didn't force anything.

19:13 - Miss Wiiiiide open. Early in the shot clock, but still a very makable shot.
          12:44 - Make. USD guy closed out on him. This may have been one he could have driven on.
          7:59 - Miss. Not a good shot, shot clock was at 3.
          5:23 - Miss. A rushed it, not a good look.
          4:10 - Miss. Wiiiiide open.

So 6/10 3's from Deondre were wide open. It would be very disappointing if he didn't take those shots, IMO. 1 as the shot clock was winding down, 1 that decent shooters should take, and 2 bad shots. I can live with that shot selection. If Reed had the looks Parks had, he may have 7 or 8 threes. If Parks was guarded like Reed, I doubt he would take more than 2 a game.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
            This is the last I'll say on Deondre in Reed's thread.

Again, what respectable defender is going to go for that fake when the player is struggling from 3 and is known as a drive to the basket player? And how will he know if he is shooting better if he doesn't keep shooting open looks? Not intended as sarcasm, but the coaches are obviously fine with him shooting like he is. USD was daring him to shoot and the whole team was collapsing on him when he did drive.

I rewatched his three point attempts on ESPN3.

16:39 - Miss. Larson screened his man, Telly passed to him, sets his feet. Would be a great look for anybody shooting over 30%.
            15:29 - Miss. Wiiiiide open.
            14:10 - Miss. Wiiiiide open.
            7:35 - Make. Wiiiiide open.
            5:31 - Miss. Wiiiiide open.

4/5 any guard in the nation should take those shots. Heck, Cody Larson should take some of them if he is that open. IMO, Parks didn't force anything.

19:13 - Miss Wiiiiide open. Early in the shot clock, but still a very makable shot.
            12:44 - Make. USD guy closed out on him. This may have been one he could have driven on.
            7:59 - Miss. Not a good shot, shot clock was at 3.
            5:23 - Miss. A rushed it, not a good look.
            4:10 - Miss. Wiiiiide open.

So 6/10 3's from Deondre were wide open. It would be very disappointing if he didn't take those shots, IMO. 1 as the shot clock was winding down, 1 that decent shooters should take, and 2 bad shots. I can live with that shot selection. If Reed had the looks Parks had, he may have 7 or 8 threes. If Parks was guarded like Reed, I doubt he would take more than 2 a game.
            Just because you are open doesnt mean taking the shot is the best option/ choice to make. There is probabaly a reason why teams are letting him have that many looks. Would be nice to see him use his other strenghts more. Just curious but anyone know how many times he was moving or taking the ball on screens or to the basket? I dont think he forces 3s but doesnt take enough of the shots he should and to many the games he doesnt. Just wondering since he had 4 shots in side the 3pt stripe. He made 2-10 on 3, and 3 of 4 inside the line and 3 of 4 from FT line and 3 assists. So he made 6 points on 10 shots from 3, and made 9 points from FT line and his other shots he made. getting to the basket scoring and getting fouls to the free throw line at least this game was his best way to help/score. I wouldnt be surprised if those sort of numbers and percents were similar all season. Maybe its not so much on parks to not shoot 3s if he is open, but maybe the coaching staff work the offense a little more to get him to use his strenghs better. We have had really good shooters at SDSU and not often did they get or take 10 3 attempts in a game. missing a 3 is almost like a turnover unless your hoping for offense boards off the 3.

Anyway back to Telly, he looks good as a freshman, my uncle from Sac city his home town said he was always a gym rat kind of kid. SDSU does well with kids like that who spend more time in the gym then most.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Deondre Parks 2/10 from 3 = 6 points.

Cody Larson 3/10 from the floor = 6 points.

Which one gets more people complaining? I see an awful lot of comments on Parks, not many on Larson. Is Nagy okay with Deondre shooting? Then so am I.

Wait, what is this thread about?
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post

Which one gets more people complaining? I see an awful lot of comments on Parks, not many on Larson. Is Nagy okay with Deondre shooting? Then so am I.

Whats Parks FG % compared to Larsons for the season? Just a spitball guess here but Larson probably has a slightly higher FG %.

Oh, this thread is about Telly, and discussion how I feel he probably should have more 3 pt attempts and Parks a few less attempts.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                  Whats Parks FG % compared to Larsons for the season? Just a spitball guess here but Larson probably has a slightly higher FG %.

Oh, this thread is about Telly, and discussion how I feel he probably should have more 3 pt attempts and Parks a few less attempts.
                  Good lord, I sure as hell hope Larson has a higher FG % than Parks...
                  "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Parks shot 41.2% from 3 last year at Iowa Lakes including 49% from the field while shooting 3.5 3pters and 11.3fgs per game. Parks just needs to keep shooting open 3s as he has been, it's just that his shot hasn't been falling right now. Parks does have the highest ft% of all the top guys on the team though.
                    "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Oh excuse me this is a thread about Deonandre Parks?

Comment

I just want to stat right away that I think Parks will get his shot going at some point and I hope it's soon. I've heard Nagy say his shot will come around(many times) and he's seen him play much more that I have and he has had good numbers in the past so I have faith.

I just had to respond to this post. Larson had a bad game but I think most people are going off of more than one game. Here are their numbers for the season.

Larson- 94-195 48% on the season.
                        Parks- 32-118 27% on the season from 3-point land.

I think you have to look at more then just Parks percentage from 3-point land. He still shoots 41% from the floor, plays good defense and gets a good number of rebounds for a guard. I just can't wait if/when he gets his stroke back. Larson, Marshall and Reed are playing at a really high level so if we can add Parks to that, we will be a really tough out come tournament time.

------------

I am really impressed with Reed. I am impressed with his play and the way he carries himself off of the court. He seems good at most aspects of the game. At first I was wondering about a true freshman playing the PF spot on defense but he seems like he can hold his own. Not the best defender in the world but to have him play the 4 on offense makes other teams coaches lose sleep at night(I would think).
                        I saw him at halftime of the WBB game against Omaha last Thursday and he was talking to some fans. That just shows what a down to earth good guy he is.

Comment

Good points. Not complaining, I like what Parks brings to the floor. I just don't think he is maximizing his potential by taking every open look from 3 (he does damn near that). His game is a lot more versatile. In fact, I think he could be a great assist guy. He can beat almost anyone off the dribble and will finish if the D doesn't help. He has never had this many good players around him. He needs to add that to his game and shoot long 3's less often.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Good points. Not complaining, I like what Parks brings to the floor. I just don't think he is maximizing his potential by taking every open look from 3 (he does damn near that). His game is a lot more versatile. In fact, I think he could be a great assist guy. He can beat almost anyone off the dribble and will finish if the D doesn't help. He has never had this many good players around him. He needs to add that to his game and shoot long 3's less often.
                            Someone has to take the damn shot. Jake and Zach seem to lack the confidence to do so and simply pass the hot potato.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                              Someone has to take the damn shot. Jake and Zach seem to lack the confidence to do so and simply pass the hot potato.
                              Seems like one of Nagy's consistent complaints about his teams over the past few years is basically "take the damn shot" so, yeah, this. I think that's one thing he love-love-loves about Tellinghuisen, is that he'll TTDS.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                                Seems like one of Nagy's consistent complaints about his teams over the past few years is basically "take the damn shot" so, yeah, this. I think that's one thing he love-love-loves about Tellinghuisen, is that he'll TTDS.
                                Better yet he MTDS!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X