Reed Tellinghusen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reed Tellinghusen

Since Reed is making an impact so early in his playing career, I thought he should have his own thread. There have been many comparisons to past players and that always fun to recall the greats from the past.

The thing about Reed that impresses me is that he is very coachable and is not thinking girl friends or other stuff in time out huddles. Yesterday, when Larson picked up his third foul, Coach Nagy shifted assignment to Reed to cover the big posts and impact players. I did not realize that until they reviewed that alleged fourth Larson foul and on the replay it was clearly Reed who committed the foul, but the refs called it on Larson. Good going refs, you did not get that one right.

I think we can count on Reed for just about anything. I know others have questioned his defense at times, but he has 3 and half years to work on that and I am sure he will.

As far as reminding me of any player there is one who comes to mind. I did not hardly any games in the early 1980's since I lived in the Chicago area at the time and JumpTV did not exist. I did manage to see one game where Mark Tetzlaff as a true freshman played. Mark was very impressive in that game. I don't recall who SDSU was playing and its not important. If he reminds me of anyone I would have to say its Mark Tetzlaff, but again its too early to crown him as an all time great.

I think Reed will make his own mark and seems to be one who will break records.

Re: Reed Tellinghusen

Yep, yesterday's game solidified my telly3 (I noticed during the game his twitter name is some sort of variation of Telly3)...it's a catchy nickname.

The clutch 3 over the defender as the shot clock was running out, the series where he had a steal almost under their basket...hustled down the floor and ended up getting an offensive board, the put back dunk out of nowhere. Then the play where I pleaded for them to "give it to Telly" and right on cue they ran sort of a give and go to him for a lay in...that got the people around me to turn around and smile.

Did he have a couple defensive lapses...sure, but dude has become my favorite rabbit.
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Excellent player. It's been really fun to watch him play. I love watching a young player who wants the ball.

Here is my concern. This team is really depending on Reed on both sides of the court (especially offense). Most but not all young players seem to hit a wall at some point of their Freshman season. I hope Reed can keep his play at a high level through the rest of the season. Especially for three days in March at The Premier Center.

GO RABBITS!

Comment

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post
        Excellent player. It's been really fun to watch him play. I love watching a young player who wants the ball.

Here is my concern. This team is really depending on Reed on both sides of the court (especially offense). Most but not all young players seem to hit a wall at some point of their Freshman season. I hope Reed can keep his play at a high level through the rest of the season. Especially for three days in March at The Premier Center.

GO RABBITS!
        Were you around to see Mark Tetzlaff? I believe he played as a true freshman and that alone gives a comparison. Does anyone recall if Mark had this contact with this wall or any leveling off his first year? The game I watched Tetzlaff was just before Christmas and he was going full steam during that game. I recall being impressed and impressed as much as I am now with Reed. I hope Reed does find a way to work through this. A great kid with his head on his shoulders.

Comment

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post

GO RABBITS!
          Reed is awesome and should only get better. 63% from three in conference play!

I agree with your concerns. He is playing about as well as anyone could, much less a freshman. During the press conference after IUPUI, when asked about preparing for Telly their coach kind of blew off the question and said something like, "we knew he was a pretty good shooter." That was it. I hope he will continue to look like an all conference player, but so far teams haven't really keyed on him. I think that will change soon, and how he responds will be interesting. He is a game changer, and coaches will realize that and try to keep him from changing the game.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Reed is having a great stretch. Sure teams will adjust and he'll get less space to get off his shots but what I like about him is he doesn't force things. Someone commented he needs 10 threes/game. Ah, no. That'll mean he's likely forcing shots. What I think will occur is you'll see him move the ball to the open guy. Pretty much teams have played off him and played tighter on Parks for reasons I don't understand. If I were coaching Parks he get's all the room he needs to jack 3's v. tight and having him put the ball on the floor (where he's at is best). Playing up on Telly will be interesting because he makes good decisions with the ball for the most part and is a willing passer.

The last thing this team needs is him to sit back and just shoot 3's. He's a much more complete player. Teams will adjust but I really don't think that'll minimize his impact to the team a lot might reduce his scoring but I'm thinking you'll see his assists go up.

Comment

Telly is a complete player and reminds me of a smaller Jordan Dykstra. Obviously, he's got the stroke from range but he is more than capable to take players off the dribble. When he does that he is able to elevate and finish at the rim, has a nice pull up jumper, or is good at hitting the open shooter. Still crazy to think he is doing all of this as a true frosh. IMHO he is way ahead of where Nate or Jordan were at this point of their freshman years. I don't want to put unfair expectations on him but I sure love where he is at. If he continues to develop and improve he has a chance to be a Jackrabbit legend.

My plan is to enjoy the ride!

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I don't always watch videos of our signees when they are posted... but I did watch Reed's.

And from his HS/Summer recruiting tape, I had a feeling he was going to be a good one.

He just plays very "within himself". Doesn't force much, doesn't look panicked. The game is not too big for him.

Comment

Originally posted by 3ptJackrabbit View Post
                  Reed is having a great stretch. Sure teams will adjust and he'll get less space to get off his shots but what I like about him is he doesn't force things. Someone commented he needs 10 threes/game. Ah, no. That'll mean he's likely forcing shots. What I think will occur is you'll see him move the ball to the open guy. Pretty much teams have played off him and played tighter on Parks for reasons I don't understand. If I were coaching Parks he get's all the room he needs to jack 3's v. tight and having him put the ball on the floor (where he's at is best). Playing up on Telly will be interesting because he makes good decisions with the ball for the most part and is a willing passer.

The last thing this team needs is him to sit back and just shoot 3's. He's a much more complete player. Teams will adjust but I really don't think that'll minimize his impact to the team a lot might reduce his scoring but I'm thinking you'll see his assists go up.
                  Here is why he needs to shoot 10 3s is by comparison parks had 10 attempts. And shoots a low number. What's parks needs to do is cut and slash and go toward the basket. Parks forces 3 if anything so get him to take better attemps and get parks moving on the court more helps spot up open shooters where reed could get a few more attempts who shoots a high percent a game which would be in the flow of the game and not forcing it.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                    IMHO he is way ahead of where Nate or Jordan were at this point of their freshman years.
                    I'm a huge fan of Telly, but I'm not sure it's valid to say whether or not he is ahead of Nate and Jordan at this point in their careers simply because their roles aren't the same. Telly is a complement (and a darn good one) to a rotation that includes 5 upper class men while Nate and Jordan were forced to be top contributors as true freshman due to the talent/inexperience on the roster.

That said, I hope Telly finishes his career as the Jackrabbit's all time leader in scoring, rebounds, assists, blocks, and national championships
                    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                    - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                      I don't always watch videos of our signees when they are posted... but I did watch Reed's.

And from his HS/Summer recruiting tape, I had a feeling he was going to be a good one.

He just plays very "within himself". Doesn't force much, doesn't look panicked. The game is not too big for him.
                      Agree. I don't think you can quantify what he has. I saw it with Zach Zenner the first time I watched him live. Same with Nate. When I went to the game at the Pentagon I didn't really know much about Telly. Within about 5 mins of watching him play I saw the same thing. No panic, no fear, a sense of where he needs to be, how to get there and what to do once he is there.

You see the same thing with Macy Miller.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                        Here is why he needs to shoot 10 3s is by comparison parks had 10 attempts. And shoots a low number. What's parks needs to do is cut and slash and go toward the basket. Parks forces 3 if anything so get him to take better attemps and get parks moving on the court more helps spot up open shooters where reed could get a few more attempts who shoots a high percent a game which would be in the flow of the game and not forcing it.
                        Parks has to shoot it if the other team isn't guarding him, which is what he is doing. That is why he is getting so many attempts, teams aren't guarding him on the perimeter and he (and the coaches) believe he can make it. He isn't forcing 3's that I have seen (I'm sure there are a few), and he isn't hoisting from NBA range.

If he starts passing up open looks, he becomes a real liability on offense, and other teams could play us 5 on 4 whenever he is on the court.

IMO
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                          Parks has to shoot it if the other team isn't guarding him, which is what he is doing. That is why he is getting so many attempts, teams aren't guarding him on the perimeter and he (and the coaches) believe he can make it. He isn't forcing 3's that I have seen (I'm sure there are a few), and he isn't hoisting from NBA range.

If he starts passing up open looks, he becomes a real liability on offense, and other teams could play us 5 on 4 whenever he is on the court.

IMO
                          If the ball kicks out too him I dont care if he takes an open 3, any one on the team i think should take that shot, but if his guy is hanging back hoping he shoots because we are just swinging the ball around the perimiter, I dont think its a good shot for him. when he is moving on the court he is at his best. But when he is just standing on the line waiting for the pass to take another 3, thats not his best game or what he needs to do. With him ball and player movement are key IMHO. the more of both the better he does and he gets his shots still. From earlier games in the season seems Nagy mentioned they need to get him moving to the hole more and not just settle for 3. So I dont want to say I dont want him to shoot it, but would like to see the offense work a little more to get him going to the basket and work to get Telly set up for the kick out. I know the D teams play has something to do with that. But a struggling shooting guard taking 10 3 attempts isnt good for our offense. Often time players need to see and have the ball go through the hoop to get that touch on the shot back. So hoping it goes in from 3 can be tough. Getting some baskets and maybe freethrows could help open up his game. But thats just my 2 cents.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan;267001[I
                            ]Parks has to shoot it if the other team isn't guarding him, which is what he is doing.[/I]That is why he is getting so many attempts, teams aren't guarding him on the perimeter and he (and the coaches) believe he can make it. He isn't forcing 3's that I have seen (I'm sure there are a few), and he isn't hoisting from NBA range.

IMO
                            We used to tease other players that were wide open to shoot. Of course they couldn't throw it in the ocean. Parks doesn't have to shoot that ball. He has to be a threat. A good ball fake to draw someone out and put it on the floor etc is just as effective as throwing up another desperate 3.

Comment

Originally posted by 3ptJackrabbit View Post
                              We used to tease other players that were wide open to shoot. Of course they couldn't throw it in the ocean. Parks doesn't have to shoot that ball. He has to be a threat. A good ball fake to draw someone out and put it on the floor etc is just as effective as throwing up another desperate 3.
                              I'm confused. Why would DI defenses go for a ball fake from a player that doesn't make 3's, and doesn't shoot 3's when he is open? Wild guess, but Connor Devine could stand at the arc and ball fake all day long and nobody is going to close out on him.

You said it yourself, he has to be a threat. The only way to be a threat is to make some 3's, the only way to make some 3's is to shoot 3's. For all his issues this season, Bittle is shooting about 37% from 3, and rarely gets the kind of open looks Parks is seeing.

You can't be a 6-1 DI shooting guard and not take open shots. IMO, he isn't taking desperation 3's, and I don't think he is taking bad shots. I could be wrong, maybe I'll rewatch the USD game.

Just to be clear, I don't like Parks taking that many 3's, but its a symptom not a disease. The coaches must also approve, since he is playing about 33.5 minutes per game in the last 7 games.

Comment

Working...
                              X