Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TV taking job at Sanford Health

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    Wonder if they promote Matt Zimmer. I always enjoyed his blog when they didn't limit the number of online articles.
    Zim said he was offered the SDSU beat before they brought Terry on, but he wasn't too keen on being gone all the time. I know he has a lot of respect for the program and has covered them a few times when Terry was gone.

And even though he and I don't always agree on things (like the State Tournaments in Sioux Falls thing), he's a heck of a writer and would be an excellent SDSU beat writer.
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Real bummer to lose TV for sure. Hard to argue with his decision though, best of luck to him.

Count me in on the Zimmer to SDSU beat bandwagon. Love his stuff.
      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        I would sure think that the SDSU beat has a lot more of following than Augie or USF. Call it a promotion or whatever you want to call it, but the more people that read his work the better.
        Thats how i look at it too. More readers cant be a bad thing for their field. he has good coverage. Frankly I think his coverage for the twins, augie and usf is better then what USD gets from Mick. I like reading all 3 of their stuff, all are good, just Terry seemed he had a bit more with the blog stuff and such. I wonder if Zimmer would want to take it with the fact he has built good relationships already. Maybe he keeps the twins and takes over SDSU.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I think with the health situation of Kailey, this seems like an excellent fit.

Comment

I respectfully disagree with the pro Zimmer group. We need a beat reporter in the Vandrovec mold who has embraced all of the extras in coverage that we have come to enjoy and expect including well researched and knowledgable live chats, relevant and interesting SDSU twitter posts, blog posts, etc. Zimmer has expressed far less than favorable opinions on SDSU athletics in the past. Further, I specifically remember him allowing a post on his Thursday live chat, back when he conducted one, slandering one of our most highly revered women's basketball players who was in her playing years at the time. Zimmer also made a statement during one of those same live chats that he considers the SDSU fans to be the worst fans or most arrogant or annoying fans or something to that effect. I don't recall the exact words. We deserve someone invested in and wanting to be our beat writer and with the same talent and drive to excel that Terry has shown us.

Comment

To be clear, I see that Zimmer still conducts a weekly live chat, apparently on Tuesdays. I thought that they used to be on Thursdays but maybe they have always been on Tuesdays. Whether his chats are on Tuesdays or Thursdays, that does not change the content of the posts in his chat that I referred to previously.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSU82 View Post
                I respectfully disagree with the pro Zimmer group. We need a beat reporter in the Vandrovec mold who has embraced all of the extras in coverage that we have come to enjoy and expect including well researched and knowledgable live chats, relevant and interesting SDSU twitter posts, blog posts, etc. Zimmer has expressed far less than favorable opinions on SDSU athletics in the past. Further, I specifically remember him allowing a post on his Thursday live chat, back when he conducted one, slandering one of our most highly revered women's basketball players who was in her playing years at the time. Zimmer also made a statement during one of those same live chats that he considers the SDSU fans to be the worst fans or most arrogant or annoying fans or something to that effect. I don't recall the exact words. We deserve someone invested in and wanting to be our beat writer and with the same talent and drive to excel that Terry has shown us.

Respectfully, these expectations cost money, and what's going on with the newspaper business now might make it hard for this job to go to anyone other than a rookie looking to make a mark in order to move up. It's the business reality now; the Argus recently went through a purge of some of its senior writers/reporters and so my educated guess is TV saw the long-term view from there and looked at the reality of taking a job keeping him closer to his family while probably making more money. This issue is something we've discussed at other times on this board, most notably whether it's fair for consumers of broadcasts and the expertise of beat reporters to do go-arounds to get free media. Someone's gotta pay for the time, expertise development, and family health care for the person that will do this often under-appreciated work. Said as one whose been there and seen the business model implode in a veritable flash of time. On the point about Zimmer: The person covering the beat can and probably should be a fan of the sport, but not the Jackrabbits. Agree that perceived gratuitously hostile past tweets or reader posts may be factored into the judgment of whether the person covering the beat comes at it objectively, but maybe those observations about Jackrabbit fans give us an opportunity to look in the mirror. Could there be a thread of truth in those observations vis a vis other state schools?

Good luck to Terry. He did a great job. All things pass.

Comment

I don't see Zimmer taking the SDSU beat. Unless things have changed he has clearly said he likes the D-2 beats (Augie & USF) and not the rigors of covering a D-1 school. There has got to be some young journalists jumping at the chance to apply for this position, Terry has made this position into a very good gig. The next person will have some huge shoes to fill. The research and time Terry put into his coverage was second to none.

Just don't stick us w/ Mick. The Skyforce coverage has been next to nothing since he took over. Skyforce has had two players called up to NBA teams in the last week and very little or no mention of it.

Comment

I'm guessing this move involves better hours, better money, better benefits more than anything else. And Terry deserves all of the above.

Zimmer is good. I know it'll be a priority to not let their click-through numbers for SDSU coverage fall. It's pretty clear that TV's stuff is some of the most read in the newspaper.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I think there is a younger former writer for the SDSU paper working for the Argus. Drue Aman I think? From what I remember he seemed pretty good. Also used to appear on the SDSU sports show. Maybe he'll get the SDSU beat.
                      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                        I think there is a younger former writer for the SDSU paper working for the Argus. Drue Aman I think? From what I remember he seemed pretty good. Also used to appear on the SDSU sports show. Maybe he'll get the SDSU beat.
                        According to his Facebook page he left the argus towards the end of the year.

Comment

Terry did a great job covering SDSU sports, especially with his online reports. Best wishes to him. His departure will be a big loss for the Argus Leader. Terry took on the beat as a young, tech-savvy reporter with lots of drive. There's got to be other talented reporters who would love to cover the biggest and most popular college sports program in South Dakota.
                          This space for lease.

Comment

I think TV leaving sucks and I don't like it one bit. He's being selfish and I won't stand for it. I demand an investigation and tampering charges against Sanford.

I hope they work him to within a thread of his sanity and that he comes running back to the Jackrabbit beat.

This is no good, no good at all.

I hope the Argus finds somebody better than TV, the Jackrabbits deserve it. (yes I am being facetious, best of luck to a more than well-deserving and above average human being)

I'm waiting for a call from the Argus editors seeking my opinion about replacements. I was thinking Pedro Gomez from Phoenix, AZ. I use to read his stuff in the Arizona Republic when we lived in Scottsdale. Hopefully they have already contacted him.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Zimmer couldn't carry Vandrovec's lunch box as far as journalism goes. As for Garry, not sure how he is still employed. He couldn't sniff out a story if it bit him in the you know what. We will miss T.V. tremendously...no question about it.
                              "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                                Zimmer couldn't carry Vandrovec's lunch box as far as journalism goes. As for Garry, not sure how he is still employed. He couldn't sniff out a story if it bit him in the you know what. We will miss T.V. tremendously...no question about it.

THIS!

Comment

Working...
                                X