Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV taking job at Sanford Health

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
    Out of curiosity, if it had been Zimmer who'd left the Argus and Terry suddenly had to cover the SDSU, Augie and USF beats, do you honestly think Terry would've been able to maintain the level of coverage several of you SDSU fans have come to expect? And would you expect him to suddenly know everything about injury-redshirted players on one of the now-20 sports rosters Terry was suddenly and unexpectedly covering (when you factor in football, baseball, softball, men's/women's basketball, and wrestling for all three schools)?

Reading through this thread, it's crazy to me that you guys expect Zimmer to somehow shoulder Terry's workload without a fraction of drop-off while still carrying almost his entire full-time beat he was working before Terry left.

If the Argus had told Zimmer to drop everything Augie/USF-related to focus solely on SDSU and Zimmer just refused to give it up, I'd sympathize with you guys a bit. But, for the most part, it seems the Argus told him to maintain his previous full-time job and also take over another guy's full-time job. Yet because he doesn't know a couple of non-factor (at least this year, if I understood correctly) injured players within a few weeks of taking over the beat, he's somehow incompetent or not committed enough?

I'm sure one of the comebacks will inevitably be "Well, the Argus should just stop covering Augie/USF anyway," but since the Argus clearly hasn't chosen to do that, it's hard for me to understand how so many people on here are placing that blame on Zimmer. Like I said, I find it hard to believe Terry, beloved though he may be, would've been able to take over the Augie/USF beats and somehow maintain full coverage of all three schools at a superhuman level without some areas having to give a little bit.
    I would guess that if the actual articles were counted expressing some of the negative items you refer, it would be a handful. Most people do understand the level of commitment TV had for his job and that it will not experience his replacement in full with the current staffing at the Argus. It is true that some of the things provided by TV might be found elsewhere as Zimmer and the staff that is writing the articles for many of the AP type stories found in the sports page. It is not an anti Zimmer movement you describe as much as losing coverage that was available in the past. If you are trying to pick up the ball of anti Zimmer, it does not really exist. If you want to identify those things that are not available that once were there, you might find some agreement. Some on the board are having a harder time adapting to the current change. Some of the change may not be as large of a positive for the Argus as well. Check back in a year.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
      I would guess that if the actual articles were counted expressing some of the negative items you refer, it would be a handful. Most people do understand the level of commitment TV had for his job and that it will not experience his replacement in full with the current staffing at the Argus. It is true that some of the things provided by TV might be found elsewhere as Zimmer and the staff that is writing the articles for many of the AP type stories found in the sports page. It is not an anti Zimmer movement you describe as much as losing coverage that was available in the past. If you are trying to pick up the ball of anti Zimmer, it does not really exist. If you want to identify those things that are not available that once were there, you might find some agreement. Some on the board are having a harder time adapting to the current change. Some of the change may not be as large of a positive for the Argus as well. Check back in a year.
      I guess these were more of the comments I was referring to...

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      I know what you are talking about as I was the person who asked the question. I was surprised that he didn't seem to have a clue. I thought about trying to explain but didn't think it was worth the effort since he wouldn't have had an answer anyway.
      Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
      I was a little disappointed too, that he didn't try and familiarize himself with the rosters at least of the sports that are being played (winter sports).
      Don't know as I'd count on being lucky enough to expect (to hope) no one asks anything about players currently playing their sport of the school I'm supposed to know about (at least the rosters anyway)in a live chat forum.I would think I'd want to be a little better prepared than that.....but that's just the way I'd approach a new job. I don't expect a lot from him yet, but 3 wks should be plenty of time to go over the mens and womens basketball teams rosters a few times. Heaven forbid for someone to have a few expectations from someone, that are reasonable expectations in my opinion, without someone crying foul. I hope he succeeds in taking over for Terry, I never wish for anyone's failure, just would like to see a little more effort is all.
      Just 28 names to become familiar with for the two major sports in season , men's and women's basketball. Don't try to make it rocket science.
      The whole point is if he put forth a little more effort into his job, there would be no need to gripe now would there. I'm through with the sniping comments for today.
      What's to know, he's our beat writer and doesn't know our WBB roster after 3 wks? Is that what you're talk'n about? That's all I'm say'n .Take it or leave it.
      After re-reading things, I guess the comments that inspired my post were almost all from one SDSU fan (jackdaniel). When I was reading through this thread the first time, I hadn't paid that close attention at the time as far as who the posts were coming from. It just looked like a string of Jacrabbit fans criticizing Zimmer and his effort. As someone who has watched him put a ton of effort into covering two schools full-time over the years, it was just disappointing to watch what I mistakenly thought were several fans talking about his failures as a writer three weeks into a new beat with a full workload. Apologies to the other SDSU fans who were more critical of the Argus/Gannett than Zimmer himself.

Not that Zimmer needs me to defend him anyway, obviously. Just figured he's earned a little defense from an Augie fan after 12 years of solid Vikings coverage in pretty much all sports.

Comment

I guess these were more of the comments I was referring to...

After re-reading things, I guess the comments that inspired my post were almost all from one SDSU fan (jackdaniel). When I was reading through this thread the first time, I hadn't paid that close attention at the time as far as who the posts were coming from. It just looked like a string of Jacrabbit fans criticizing Zimmer and his effort. As someone who has watched him put a ton of effort into covering two schools full-time over the years, it was just disappointing to watch what I mistakenly thought were several fans talking about his failures as a writer three weeks into a new beat with a full workload. Apologies to the other SDSU fans who were more critical of the Argus/Gannett than Zimmer himself.

Not that Zimmer needs me to defend him anyway, obviously. Just figured he's earned a little defense from an Augie fan after 12 years of solid Vikings coverage in pretty much all sports.
        I think jackdaniel has confessed and acknowledged his sin, so can an Augustana guy forgive? Lutherans believe in absolution do they not?

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          I think jackdaniel has confessed and acknowledged his sin, so can an Augustana guy forgive? Lutherans believe in absolution do they not?
          Sorry. I think I misinterpreted that as sarcasm. As far as Lutherans and absolution go, according to Wikipedia, they do believe in it. I actually didn't know that, so I appreciate you giving me something to research.

Comment

Its not like zimmer is totally new to sdsu. I would also assume the sports staff would read what the others have. Maybe not their blog stuff but anything in the paper. So I don't think its bad to expect zimmer or who ever it is be able to have some understanding of the major sports. Not like anyone asked about sports out of season. There hasn't been much talk about some of the injured players if they are able to come back or not. So it seems reasonable to assume that during a conversation with a coach they might bring up their status or he could ask about it unless he truly had no idea the roster had as many major injuries as it has had. If anything with fans asking him this stuff he probably makes it easy to know what we are looking for so he can learn on the fly with out having to generate questions on his own as much. Seems most sdsu fans are curious about the health of the tea$s and the battle for seeding for the summit tourny and progess on the football stadium. I am not saying he needs to do and know everything terry was up on as it would be a transtion for anyone to just pick up that extra workload.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Sorry. I think I misinterpreted that as sarcasm. As far as Lutherans and absolution go, according to Wikipedia, they do believe in it. I actually didn't know that, so I appreciate you giving me something to research.
              Yes I know all about absolution and I do believe in it. I was just trying to restore Jack Daniels credibility as he took quite a beating for his comments and has since confessed( You must have missed that post). Love those Lutherans and am one, but can not understand why the average joe can not afford their education offered. Tuition driven so I have been told.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                Yes I know all about absolution and I do believe in it. I was just trying to restore Jack Daniels credibility as he took quite a beating for his comments and has since confessed( You must have missed that post). Love those Lutherans and am one, but can not understand why the average joe can not afford their education offered. Tuition driven so I have been told.
                I can't tell if you're just messing with me or if I'm just totally missing something... he literally ended the post you're referring to with "[sarcasm]," which inclines me to believe he was being sarcastic. Either way, I've said what was on my mind about Zimmer, so I'm good moving on. Just figured I'd try to share a different perspective on the matter.

Comment

I give my solemn oath to never criticize a beat writer as long as the Argus is under staffed. Hope no one goes to H-E- double toothpicks because of my misguided opinion. Glad I got that off my chest.

Comment

Working...
                  X