Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Zenner continues to get attention

Originally posted by HoboJack View Post
    To push this back to the topic of Zenner and the NFL draft, about 8 years ago I was on a plane from Atlanta to the Twin Cities, and the gentleman sitting next to me on the plane was an NFL scout for the Atlanta Falcons. When he asked where I was from, he was aware of Brookings and SDSU (I recall that he knew there were a couple of Jacks players on their interest list, but said it wasn't really his territory, so he wasn't sure on specifics). Anyway he told me that as a scout he was more interested in scouting the non-power 5 conference players because it gave him the opportunity to project what a players potential is. He said because of the number of high-end recruits at a school like Alabama, that outside of the obvious studs (i.e. the consensus first/second round picks), everyone else sort of had to maximize their potential in order to get playing time, since the next best player at their position at Alabama would be fairly close in talent level. By the time an average player at Alabama is a Senior, they have likely already maximized their player potential. While on the other hand small school prospects can often be projected to a higher potential because they simply haven't been challenged the same way by their peers.

The job of the scouts is often to identify who has the best chance of reaching their potential, in addition to weighing that against what their perceived ceiling is, or how much better can they get. In the case of Zach, I wonder if his reputation of being intelligent and an extremely hard worker, and somewhat of an overachiever/self-made athlete may have held him back. It may be that scouts think he is already at his max potential as an athlete, and not sure that he was enough better now to compensate for the ceiling that someone else on their list might have.
    Interesting post and I am sure that flight went by fast.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      There was an article out recently about how people stop listening to new music around the age of 33. I did not care to read the whole thing but figured why not start some thread drift. mine was probably more like 23 if anything. Just kidding, but seriously i dont really listen to much for new stuff at all. On a related note to this thread drift I cant wait to see Rush again in a few days. Should be an awesome show.

Sort of about the topic. Its hard to seperate sports and race. Mccoy from bills and his comments, MLB is often talked about in regards to how it viewd and precieved according to race issues, a players race may or may not affect his draft stock. I see both sides of it. I see where Zimmer was going, and its not like he said it was only because of his race he wasnt drafted. Zimmer speaks his mind and nothing wrong with that since he usually backs it up well. Unless he is at a Bob seager concert apparently.......
      "Rock and roll has gone down hill since Buddy Holly died." John Milner-American Graffiti

Comment

I read Zimmer's article before it was pulled, and I thought the point in race being a factor was unfounded and had no place in the article. That's my opinion.

I also think we need to keep politics off of this board. With the recent events in Ferguson and Baltimore, I've seen threads go down in flames on other message boards, and those topics ALWAYS result in bans for reasons that have been mentioned by others already. It would be a time consuming, dumpster fire for the moderators.

Comment

VERY good analysis of Zenner on a Detroit Lions website.

https://detroitlionsall22.wordpress....ing-skill-set/
          Last edited by SanDakotaState; 05-06-2015, 11:18 PM.

Comment

A
            Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
            I read Zimmer's article before it was pulled, and I thought the point in race being a factor was unfounded and had no place in the article. That's my opinion.

I also think we need to keep politics off of this board. With the recent events in Ferguson and Baltimore, I've seen threads go down in flames on other message boards, and those topics ALWAYS result in bans for reasons that have been mentioned by others already. It would be a time consuming, dumpster fire for the moderators.
            A key word UNFOUNED. Rep points given.

Comment

nice press today in Detroit

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...s_detroit.html

And this from the Lions Web site
              http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lio...f-209dcd79051b

Comment

Zenner to host running back camp down in Sioux Falls, July 21st.
                http://www.sanfordsports.com/news_ar...rrer_id=864259

Comment

Ameer Abdullah giving praise to Zach Zenner in an article about the former Husker:

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/co...llah/28905459/

Abdullah is passionate about learning; and that's how he is attacking this camp, trying to learn from the other running backs. "You can take a little bit here from Joique (Bell)," he said. "You can take a little bit here from Theo (Riddick). You can take a lot from Zach Zenner."

Comment

Midco Sports Magazine: 'Football Frenzy' 07.07.15.

Zenner's story begins at 15:03
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clph...ature=youtu.be

Comment

Just a heads up:

Sportscenter will be showing live video of the Lions training camp all day long tomorrow for those who are interested.

Comment

Any news on how he's performing? I really hope this kid makes it. Quite a story.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                          Any news on how he's performing? I really hope this kid makes it. Quite a story.
                          This is why you are one of the good guys yf. I haven't read much honestly. But that's to be expected from an UDFA from the FCS.

Hopefully he does well in camp, and shows enough in PS to get signed to someone's practice squad. (They save roster spots for fa's and draft picks).

Once you're on a practice squad, anyone can pick you up.-then you pretty much have to wait for injury/opportunity to come along.

Comment

Josh Katzenstein ‏@jkatzenstein
                            Not sure what Zach Zenner did, but at least three defenders have tried to lay him out tonight.

Tahir Whitehead on why guys were hitting Zenner hard: "He ain't do nothing but put the pads on."

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                              Tahir Whitehead on why guys were hitting Zenner hard: "He ain't do nothing but put the pads on."
                              Ummmmmm....wow.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                                Not sure what Zach Zenner did, but at least three defenders have tried to lay him out tonight.

When he says tried, does that mean he was in fact laid out or was he strong enough to fend them off?
                                "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Working...
                                X