jacks vs UALR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jacks vs UALR

If turnovers drive you crazy, do yourself a big favor and pass on following SDSU WBB. This is not something new. We talk about it every year - over and over. Yet the team keeps winning.

Another good team bit the dust in Frost tonight. This team is just a 2-point loss (GB) away from an amazing start. As it is, they're sitting in a very good spot.

Comment

Re: jacks vs UALR

Could the turnovers be a result of the style of play? Up tempo and enter line changes? I know it doesn't explain all of them, but it is a much faster game the Jacks play and that could be difficult to grasp for the younger players right away.
      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I get turnovers caused by an aggressive defense like Depaul. Lately the turnovers are self inflicted careless plays that athletes at this level should not make. I know AJ and players are probably happy with the win, but can't be satisfied with their play. Intent is also to grow the fan base and that becomes harder if the product is hard to watch regardless of the wins.

Comment

Imagine how Arkansas Little Rock fans must feel.

Comment

Finish the OOC strong with some nice road wins and this could be a one of the better ooc records and ooc wins the Jacks have put up the last couple of years.

Comment

The way I figure,28 TO's is about 15 more than the typical WBB game (I figure avg team commits around 13).That's 15 wasted possessions, if we are shooting around 40% ,that's 6 buckets and 12 points (2 ptrs).In this game ,would twelve more points have changed the game much? The answer is no when you've led by 32 and win by 25.

In a Summit league championship game or NCAA tournament game, absolutly, it could cost you a game for sure.Even Marist ,at their place shooting better than UALR did tonight, us a little travel weary ,yes,28 TO's will eventually cost you a game if you cannot find a way to get the TO #'S down into a more normal range, and still be aggressive enough on offense to create scoring opportunities.

We've got some time, but it's got to be corrected eventually, especially against NCAA tournament caliber teams.They only need a little bit of an advantage and they will use it to win the game.

Oops, forgot to factor in we made them commit 19 to's .That makes for even less of an impact, about nine possessions difference, shooting 40% again is only around 4 buckets, or 8 pts. Still too many, but I'm sure we can get the TO's down some.
              Last edited by jackdaniel; 12-19-2014, 01:32 AM.

Comment

UALR must have been showing some abilities this year to be rated where they are. They looked completely overwhelmed by the defense of the Jackrabbits. Many of the turnovers for UALR were travels. They had trouble making the regular moves against the Jackrabbits. The Jackrabbits had many turnovers in the first half that were a result of trying to force the ball inside as well as some unforced errors that allowed an aggressive defensive player to take the ball. Those might be the things AJ states need some attention. Overall, a 25 point victory over the Trojans should be a good feeling. UALR had been holding the opposition to less than 60 points on a regular basis.
                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                  I get turnovers caused by an aggressive defense like Depaul. Lately the turnovers are self inflicted careless plays that athletes at this level should not make. I know AJ and players are probably happy with the win, but can't be satisfied with their play. Intent is also to grow the fan base and that becomes harder if the product is hard to watch regardless of the wins.
                  ^^this^^

Comment

Interesting stat from Arkansas Little Rock website. Arkansas Little rock scored just 18 points on the 28 turnovers committed by the Jacks. Most nights you commit 28 turnovers against a good team and you will get run out of the gym. Was Little Rock that off on the offensive end or did our defense play a role?

http://www.ualrtrojans.com/ViewArtic...CLID=209814770

Comment

How about the defensive play last night? WOW!!! UALR was completely out of sort. The Trojans only had 23 rebounds, and 10 were O rips. Jacks had UALR DOUBLED UP 62-31 with about 7? min left before AJ subbed in the 2's/3's for the rest of the game.

Yes, the turnovers was high, and any of the self-inflicted (bad passes, traveling, and moving screens) need to be a point of focus of practice. But I'll take the high TO's when Jacks shut the opponent out on the glass, challenges shots (FG % <35%) and moves in on the key opponent players to put those key players on bench or fouled out. When the UALR big came back in with 4 fouls Clarin, Ober, Wayk and EVERY JACK was going in and then challenging on rebounds. She fouled out less than 2 min after reentering game.

Jacks had a worthy opponent, and the comparible game was the blow-out tourney win vs TCU in '09. Jacks can have that type of game ANY TIME. 5 players in double figures. A Frosh, not named Miller, is player of the game with double/double OFF THE BENCH. This team has multiple pieces, and has a high ceiling. Here's to a success mopping up the OOC games @ Marist and @UNI, then a sweep of Summit play. 27-3 going into the Summit tourney seems a good goal.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                        Interesting stat from Arkansas Little Rock website. Arkansas Little rock scored just 18 points on the 28 turnovers committed by the Jacks. Most nights you commit 28 turnovers against a good team and you will get run out of the gym. Was Little Rock that off on the offensive end or did our defense play a role?

http://www.ualrtrojans.com/ViewArtic...CLID=209814770
                        I think a combination of both, we played really good defensively, and consequently they only shot 25% the first half....I think 32% for the game? We pretty much dominated that game with one bad stat....TO's. Even though they got the TO's, they couldn't do much with them.

Comment

Honestly, I think we underestimate home-court weather advantage when southern teams come to play and its zero and icy outdoors, then they come into a hot arena with more fans than they are used to seeing and defenders are on their tail all night. Juxtaposition has got to play on the head a little bit. I am serious about this. Also, turnovers at some point are going to be negatively decisive when Jacks can least afford it. Must take care of this problem, whether it is passing practices or whatever. Has anyone ever asked AJ about this? Seems to be a recent season phenomeon.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                            Has anyone ever asked AJ about this? Seems to be a recent season phenomeon.
                            A quick check of the stats on Gojacks.com gave me some turnover numbers for comparison.

Turnovers per game, ours/opponents:

2008-2009: 15.8/19.9
                            2009-2010: 18.8/19.2
                            2010-2011: 17.5/16.8
                            2011-2012: 16.5/15.0
                            2012-2013: 17.3/17.1
                            2013-2014: 17.6/15.4

It's nothing new. Their current TPG number sits at 19.5 for 2014-2015. You would expect it to be higher than the past averages in this part of the season because of all the tough OOC games. The rate should come down into the "normal" range once the competition level falls.

Comment

I think we can all agree 28 turnovers is too many regardless of the level of competition.

Comment

Definitely agree. I'm just commenting on how there is a turnover panic attack on this board every year and each year we think it is something new.

Comment

Working...
                                X