Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The end of NDSU domination

Originally posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    MN is a weird place to live; and I did live there from 1999-2008 including 5 years with the U of M. No other college will be allowed to go d1 in all sport other than the Gophers. That is just the way it is and hard to completely explain it. That is the only thing I could ever see happening to end NDSU domination, for good, and it is not happening.

On a related note, stumbled across this nice summary from Gopher Hole about MN recruiting: http://www.gopherhole.com/page/show/...tball-recruits

I thought twice about posting figuring some would think I am doing this to boast (which could be partly true), however, if you follow SDSU recruiting, it was a very nice summary of MN players.
    9 years isn't long enough to live in MN and figure it out. I have lived here 27 years and still don't know many things. I have to ask my wife who grew up here. The fact you can't buy beer on Sunday still kills me.

Wisconsin is extremely unique too. For that matter each of the Dakotas. It is great to have choices. I mean think about - Brookings has a small town mentality with a great University and tremendous industry. SDSU needs to allow people to tailgate as long as they want to, both before and after the games. I get a kick how many students SDSU's cops bust for minor drinking. And the students were telling me about when the cops have to get a warrant depending upon if the party is in a fenced yard or an unfenced yard. Cracks me up.

I said all along - NDSU dries up without MN. SDSU would be just fine, MN players are icing on the cake for SDSU. SDSU does a lot better job in Nebraska than NDSU does. Sioux Falls looks to Omaha. Fargo looks to the Twin Cities. I'm not sure why, but it is so in business too.

Nice post though. Great list.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
      9 years isn't long enough to live in MN and figure it out. I have lived here 27 years and still don't know many things. I have to ask my wife who grew up here. The fact you can't buy beer on Sunday still kills me.

Wisconsin is extremely unique too. For that matter each of the Dakotas. It is great to have choices. I mean think about - Brookings has a small town mentality with a great University and tremendous industry. SDSU needs to allow people to tailgate as long as they want to, both before and after the games. I get a kick how many students SDSU's cops bust for minor drinking. And the students were telling me about when the cops have to get a warrant depending upon if the party is in a fenced yard or an unfenced yard. Cracks me up.

I said all along - NDSU dries up without MN. SDSU would be just fine, MN players are icing on the cake for SDSU. SDSU does a lot better job in Nebraska than NDSU does. Sioux Falls looks to Omaha. Fargo looks to the Twin Cities. I'm not sure why, but it is so in business too.

I heard this morning on the radio that they're trying to remedy the lack of liquor sales on Sundays in Minnesota Currently.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
        I heard this morning on the radio that they're trying to remedy the lack of liquor sales on Sundays in Minnesota Currently.
        Can you buy hard liguor in South Dakota on Sunday? Used to just be beer and wine.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
          Can you buy hard liguor in South Dakota on Sunday? Used to just be beer and wine.
          I think* so. May vary county by county or town by town. Anybody feel free to correct me if they know better.

Comment

I can't decide what the proper sound track is for this thread.

The "Imperial March" from Star Wars, or "Yakety Sax."

"I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
              State law allows for Sunday liquor sales both on and off sale. Certain communities have local ordinances that forbid liquor sales on Sunday (blue laws). There are far fewer restrictions than there use to be.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                I think* so. May vary county by county or town by town. Anybody feel free to correct me if they know better.
                When we were in college I think brookings changed, they had banned it on sunday, but got rid of it sometime. I just feel like that a lot of sundays if you went to a friends house to watch football and have a beer usually had to run to gas station in volga to some beers. Those years are still a little hazy but sometime 2000-2005ish maybe it changed there.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

There's never an easy answer to booze questions in South Dakota, it seems. It's like asking who will be playing QB for the Jacks next year. But yes, hard liquor can be purchased for take out or be consumed in restaurants in some communities, under some circumstances, on Sundays.

http://dor.sd.gov/Taxes/Special_Taxe...g_Alcohol.aspx
                  This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
                    MN is a weird place to live; and I did live there from 1999-2008 including 5 years with the U of M. No other college will be allowed to go d1 in all sport other than the Gophers. That is just the way it is and hard to completely explain it. That is the only thing I could ever see happening to end NDSU domination, for good, and it is not happening.

On a related note, stumbled across this nice summary from Gopher Hole about MN recruiting: http://www.gopherhole.com/page/show/...tball-recruits

I thought twice about posting figuring some would think I am doing this to boast (which could be partly true), however, if you follow SDSU recruiting, it was a very nice summary of MN players.
                    In numbers, anyhow, looks like NDSU outrecruited the Gophers. Not sure of the quality though. Thanks for the list. My hat's off to the JC fb coaches. They are lucky to get a dozen players or so back each year. Bottineau CC ND played Rochester CTC in their playoffs, Bottineau had 3 on their roster from ND. Close to being another Memphis/BYU ending.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                      There's never an easy answer to booze questions in South Dakota, it seems. It's like asking who will be playing QB for the Jacks next year. But yes, hard liquor can be purchased for take out or be consumed in restaurants in some communities, under some circumstances, on Sundays.

http://dor.sd.gov/Taxes/Special_Taxe...g_Alcohol.aspx
                      Back in my day, there was always some small town bar or liquor store that overlooked the age laws. Joke was, if you were big enough to see over the bar, you were old enough. After all that, liquor is overrated. Which you usually found out after over consumption.

Comment

Ndsu would dry up but sdsu wouldnt? Seems a bit odd considering we get great players from ne and Wi

MN has enough kids to keep rolling the fill ins, and nd and northern mn is getting better
                        BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
                          Ndsu would dry up but sdsu wouldnt? Seems a bit odd considering we get great players from ne and Wi

MN has enough kids to keep rolling the fill ins, and nd and northern mn is getting better
                          I'm not just talking football players. I'm talking the student population as a whole. Without MN, NDSU loses half of its students. Why else is NDSU advertising for students throughout MN? SDSU would be fine without MN. NDSU wouldn't nearly exist.

Zenner and Crockett made great fill ins didn't they.

I can't wait for MN to change the blue laws. I need my Sunday beer. You learn to plan ahead.

Comment

I'm not just talking football players. I'm talking the student population as a whole. Without MN, NDSU loses half of its students. Why else is NDSU advertising for students throughout MN? SDSU would be fine without MN. NDSU wouldn't nearly exist.

Zenner and Crockett made great fill ins didn't they.

I can't wait for MN to change the blue laws. I need my Sunday beer. You learn to plan ahead.
                            NDSU, Iowa, Ia St ads are on TV frequently on KTTC (Rochester, Mn) have never seen a SDSU ad. Northern State (SD) even had a stand at Apache Mall last year?? U of M doesn't have to and UNI probably gets enough as it is.

Comment

I am beginning to agree with one of the Bison Fans who said this is the dumbest thread he had ever read. Liquor laws and student recruitment in Mn are red herrings.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                                I am beginning to agree with one of the Bison Fans who said this is the dumbest thread he had ever read. Liquor laws and student recruitment in Mn are red herrings.
                                This thread will be referred to as long as the interwebs are alive I'm thinking.

Comment

Working...
                                X