Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The end of NDSU domination

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    So, what's the solution? Fire Stig? Put a countdown clock in the lockerroom?

I believe the program is heading in the right direction. I'm not sure what more a fan base can ask.
    See Goon's post below. That's exactly my point.

I don't think Stig's job should be on the line at this point. But there should be some pressure on him from the administration to keep improving. The admimistration has already indicated they are all-in with the money they are spending.

Let me ask this question, not just to you but to everyone.

If in 5-7 years we are still essentially the same program we are today. Good years of 8-4 or so, but never seeded and never making is past the 2nd round of the playoffs. Will you be satisfied?

Comment

People seem to be forgetting that the Bison have been on a historic run over the last 4 years, as in, no team has ever done what they've done before.

Don't let this cloud your judgement on how far the SDSU football program has come and the progress it will continue to make. If you want to say that the Jacks have failed in comparison to the Bison over the last 4 years, then you have to say every other FCS team has failed as well.

The Bison will be a good program for the foreseeable future and will compete for Nat'l Championships, but to think they'll continue to dominate the entire subdivision to this extent isn't realistic.
      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        I don't think Stig's job should be on the line at this point. But there should be some pressure on him from the administration to keep improving. The admimistration has already indicated they are all-in with the money they are spending.

If in 5-7 years we are still essentially the same program we are today. Good years of 8-4 or so, but never seeded and never making is past the 2nd round of the playoffs. Will you be satisfied?
        I think we are one of the top 10-15 programs in the country right now for football, and with the facility improvements and money being poured into the program, we are still rising. We have gone from zero playoffs appearances in our DII history to three years in a row of wins in the FCS playoffs. We were dealt a horrible hand this year with injuries and still managed to make the playoffs out of the toughest conference in the country.

Our only losses were to Missouri (made SEC Championship game), Illinois State (FCS Title contender), Youngstown State (without our QB or #2 receiver) and two games to NDSU, which is 36-1 in its last 37 games.

Meanwhile we had as many guys (3) on the National All-Academic First Team as NDSU did and have zero problems with off the field issues.

Are we perfect? No.

Are we in a better position than 95% of the other football programs in the FCS? Yes.

We were one minute away from a quarterfinal appearance and nearly knocked off the 3-time national champions on the road. Its not a moral victory, but anyone seeking the coaches head after the job they did in preparing for that game is delusional.
        Last edited by Jacks-02; 12-08-2014, 05:07 PM.

Comment

I agree with the gist of JackJD's post. I think too that NDSU's era of dominance is coming to an end. Excellent point about the Fargo Dome getting older. Add on 5 to ten years more and can you say tired? Excellent point about SDSU having the best facilities in the future.

Craig Bohl's recruiting base was the Twin Cities. The Jack's have made excellent in roads in Twin City recruiting. The best example of this is the two, hometown MN, RB's Saturday. NDSU's edge is Fargo is bigger than Brookings, but take into account the growth and proximity of Sioux Falls and this can be possibly negated. The Twin Cities are the largest metropolitan area closest to Fargo and Brookings. The Twin Cities/Minnesota is NDSU's lifeblood. As a matter of fact, you see NDSU billboards through out Minnesota. I even saw a NDSU billboard going down the hill in Duluth last week. The fact that MN and WI only have one DI school is another excellent point.

Don't forget the great growth and opportunities that SDSU is doing academically.

The only wild card I'll throw out there is the oil money. North Dakota is swimming in staggering amounts of $$$. Maybe they throw some of the oil revenue at new facilities for NDSU.

Comment

See Goon's post below. That's exactly my point.

I'm not satisfied right now. But there are and have been real factors limiting the success of SDSU football. Our stadium was a dump. That is reality, and we have missed out on difference maker recruits because of it. Underpaid assistants who leave for bigger paychecks impacts player development. These are facts, not excuses.

However, I'm really proud of our football program. I'm definitely not ashamed, which is the vibe I get from some posts.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
              I'm not satisfied right now. But there are and have been real factors limiting the success of SDSU football. Our stadium was a dump. That is reality, and we have missed out on difference maker recruits because of it. Underpaid assistants who leave for bigger paychecks impacts player development. These are facts, not excuses.

However, I'm really proud of our football program. I'm definitely not ashamed, which is the vibe I get from some posts.
              I think you have your vibe meter set on ultra sensitive because I haven't seen any post being "ashamed" of anything. Good grief

Comment

Oh man JackJD you must have been bored yesterday!
                My way of dealing with Saturday's loss...and I type fast.

Comment

I guess I can't resist. Wouldn't that make us the same type of delusional university that we have chided Nabraska for being? We should be satisfied with the status quo and not aspire for something better.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                    I think we are one of the top 10-15 programs in the country right now for football, and with the facility improvements and money being poured into the program, we are still rising. We have gone from zero playoffs appearances in our DII history to three years in a row of wins in the FCS playoffs. We were dealt a horrible hand this year with injuries and still managed to make the playoffs out of the toughest conference in the country.

Our only losses were to Missouri (made SEC Championship game), Illinois State (FCS Title contender), Youngstown State (without our QB or #2 receiver) and two games to NDSU, which is 36-1 in its last 37 games.

Meanwhile we placed more guys on the National All-Academic team than anyone else and have zero problems with off the field issues.

Are we pefect? No.

Are we in a better position than 95% of the other football programs in the FCS? Yes.

We were one minute away from a quarterfinal appearance and nearly knocked off the 3-time national champions on the road. Its not a moral victory, but anyone seeking the coaches head after the job they did in preparing for that game is delusional.
                    No you didn't. Second-most. Still very good as ZZ was given individual honors.
                    (assuming you're talking about the Capital One Academic All-American DI FB team - if you're talking about another list, then I apologise)

Comment

I hope we continue to gain on them.

To say the end of their Domination is a bit premature.

We're gonna have to beat them a couple times in a row first. I'd love it if it happened, but it hasn't happened yet.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                        I guess I can't resist. Wouldn't that make us the same type of delusional university that we have chided Nabraska for being? We should be satisfied with the status quo and not aspire for something better.
                        Nebraska popped into my mind as well. Their fan base complains about the current teams not being as good as the teams from the mid-90s. Seriously, your pissed because the current team can't match up with some of the best teams ever in college football! Comparing where we are to the current NDSU run of teams is a bit overwhelming as well. I am pumped about the last 3 or 4 years for the Jacks. We have made major headway and are still on the upswing. I'm not as sold on facilities doing everything everyone hopes they will, but it may help bring in a few more players. Success breeds success. We are starting to succeed and a few more years of winning playoff games will make selling the university to out-of-the-area high school kids that much easier. Once they get here, the facilities may work to close the deal. The coaching staff is doing a great job, the players are working hard in and out of season, and the administration is providing everything they can to promote that success. That last drive of NDSU crushed me a bit, but I fully expect the Jacks to be in the thick of it again next season.
                        One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
                          (assuming you're talking about the Capital One Academic All-American DI FB team - if you're talking about another list, then I apologise)
                          Hammersmith - Congrats to NDSU on their players' academic achievements. I don't know if I've seen it mentioned on this board, but NDSU had 3 first-team and 1 second-team on the Capital One list which included Wentz and Emmanuel.

No matter where a player is from, I like cheering for guys that are also successful off the field, and by extension, sports programs that emphasize academics.

Comment

Yes NDSU has been great, and they dont appear to be slowing down anytime soon. I would rather SDSU elevate its program to that level then hoping NDSu comes down to earth. Thats like a batter trying to get walked or hit by pitch instead of trying to get a hit to get on base. We have been really really good the last couple years. I guess I hope this is the starting point of things to come, not the pinnicle. I am not taking anything away from the players or coaches, I think they did a heck of a job getting the team ready and the players responded well and were 55 seconds from beating NDSU. But in the big picture, I think its ok for fans to no be satisfied, as I doubt the team is happy with it. Lets face it, we werent even sure we were going to make the playoffs this year and were not very close to winning the confrence title. I think this program should have 3 goals. win the confrence, get a seed, and win a championship. However some years or circumstances will change that, so this is not a confrence and national championship or bust mindset. But if we are going to see 100 million dollars worth of improvements to the football program the fans and team and coaches should probably have their eyes set higher then where we landed this year. It was a fun year and saw some good football and really enjoyed it, so I think of this as a positive going foward, that we are disapointed because we know we can still do better as fans, as a team, as an athletic program.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
                              My mistake, was going from memory. My comment has been updated.

Comment

One of the interesting questions going forward is where do NDSU's facilities go in the coming 10-15 years? The FargoDome is pretty much maxed out for them. It has only a few luxury boxes and they couldn't shoehorn more than about 18,800 people in there if they got a home and home with Alabama. Their new practice bubble pales in comparison with the SJAC. I'm not saying there's any crisis or problem there. They just don't have room to grow. And maybe they have a plan. Heaven knows there's a ton of support for the Bison up there. Meanwhile, we are at the start of a new era of top-notch facilities.
                                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                                X