Re: The end of NDSU domination

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
    This thread delivers.
    Hall of Fame, right?

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
      Hall of Fame, right?
      It will probably fall just a few ballots short...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
        And if you added up the rough numbers in my previous post, you quickly realize they don't come close to 5000, much less 7500. More like 2000; maybe 3000 if they're really lucky. I think it's more about cracking the 20k barrier than anything else.

Another thing to understand about all this: There's currently a fight going on about where to locate a new convention center to replace our 50+ year old Civic. Downtown business owners want it down there and want to use the FD surplus money to help pay for it. The FD people want the new convention center to be an addition to the SE corner of the building. It's feeling like the downtown group is winning the battle at the moment, and I wonder if some of these projects are an attempt to spend the surplus money before they can get their hands on it. We're also hearing that new videoboards and/or scoreboards are going in this summer. I suspect for the same reasons.

Finally, the $40-some million in the reserve fund can't all be used for projects. At least $15-20 million needs to be kept for capital upgrades for the next few decades. The FD makes a profit each year, but that profit's too small to pay for big projects like videoboard replacement, seating replacement, HVAC equipment replacement, etc. The surplus fund was intended for stuff like that. But the sales tax that funded the FD brought in much more money than expected, so there's excess money in the fund that is limited in its use by law.
        As long as the FD gets back to being 1 seat larger than the SDSU new stadium all order will be restored in the North.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
          I still don't understand why you want posters on this forum to "talk" to various teams/players. Players could care less what we write on the forums. Coaches tell players not to pay attention to what the media says, let alone what fans say. This is a fact. I know this because various Jackrabbit football players have told me this. The only exception they told me was TOB. TOB supposedly read the forum.
          LOL. Next time I tell you to "take a hike" Shot, I'll be sure to have someone nearby to stop you from putting your boots on.

Comment

It's a shame that what the SDSU football program IS gets defined, by many, and even more so nationally, based on our proximity to, and rivalry with, NDSU. SDSU has been the best that it has EVER BEEN in the 10 years of D-I FCS football, and significantly better than Jacks were from '63 to 2003. If SDSU wants to get on a 20 year winning pattern vs NDSU, then the fan base needs to invest into a "Teammakers" donation vehicle like the Bison faithful have done, and grow the sport base. IMHO, Jacks have made huge strides since locking arms with our Bovine Brethen of the tundra, and moving up to D-I.

Regionalization will get worse, rather than better in the future as the NCAA looks to decrease spending but still support sports. There are only 3 FCS schools under 400 miles from Fargo. These schools all have Dakota in their name. As long as Bison keep getting a seed, and Jackrabbits don't, there is a very high probability that Jacks will play round two in Fargo. When Jacks don't get shipped north, SDSU will get shipped most likely west vs Big Sky schools, or possibly south vs Southland schools. I like Rabbit chances of hosting for bids vs Big Sky (without Montana in name) or the Southland once SDSU new stadium is built. However, that also means Jacks fans are going to need to start embracing November and December football ala Packers, and Montana schools have done. SDSU has one of the greatest weather advantages of any team in the nation. At least 4 games in the last five years have been decisive Jackrabbit wins because Jacks know how to play in the snow, slush, and icy, with Alberta clipper winds blowing, and our opponents don't handle the conditions. If Jacks were to get Sam Houston, an OVC, or southern team in, Jacks will advance much further. The typical 3 point home advantage springs to about 10 at Brookings in Dec.

Sure Bison are great, but they aren't the only measure. UNI makes a good measure. Neb-Omaha and Northern Colo, UND are also good measures as our old NCC mates. I like what's happening with SDSU athletics, and especially football. I like that NDSU/SDSU have bonded even tighter, and have basically become the major gorillas in the respective leagues. Now that we're all on the same scholarship levels SDSU can, and does, go toe-to-toe with NDSU consistently. For much of the 70s, 80s, 90s, Jacks were at 36 scholarships in football, and NDSU was at the highest scholarships allowed (45 for a while). This more scholarships isn't true any more. In fact, SDSU now has more scholarship athletes across more sports than virtually ANY other FCS school, and even more than some P5 schools.

Comment

So, basically, SDSU needs to beat NDSU in football in order to advance to "the next level."

The gap between the two programs has narrowed, but has not yet closed. To close the gap further, the next step is for SDSU to win at least one national championship. The road to that NC will quite probably run through Fargo (if not Fargo, there's always Cedar Falls, or perhaps Missoula or Bozeman . . .)

Bring on 2015!
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                I think SDSU took a dive in 1964, because Ralph Ginn couldn't adjust to platoon football. Maybe it was a recruiting thing, but when players had to go both ways he was much more successful. By 1967, when I graduated, he seemed clueless. Game passed him by.
                Totally agree, 64-68 were dismal years. Off tackle right, off tackle left, pass, punt. Several years ago, I was at a poorly attended Vikings meet and greet of former and present players. Talked a while with Oscar Reed, Colorado State RB and former Viking. Told him that I was witness to them destroying SDSU. He said that he liked that series, it was like a weekend off with only a light scrimmage. He then got his partners attention and had quite a discussion of that series. Some laughter was involved.

Comment

We'll need a lot more data before anyone can be sure about the state of domination in this rivalry. But I do think there is a lot of interesting information here. The FD upgrade info was very interesting (thanks, Bison posters).
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                    It's a shame that what the SDSU football program IS gets defined, by many, and even more so nationally, based on our proximity to, and rivalry with, NDSU. SDSU has been the best that it has EVER BEEN in the 10 years of D-I FCS football, and significantly better than Jacks were from '63 to 2003. If SDSU wants to get on a 20 year winning pattern vs NDSU, then the fan base needs to invest into a "Teammakers" donation vehicle like the Bison faithful have done, and grow the sport base. IMHO, Jacks have made huge strides since locking arms with our Bovine Brethen of the tundra, and moving up to D-I.

Regionalization will get worse, rather than better in the future as the NCAA looks to decrease spending but still support sports. There are only 3 FCS schools under 400 miles from Fargo. These schools all have Dakota in their name. As long as Bison keep getting a seed, and Jackrabbits don't, there is a very high probability that Jacks will play round two in Fargo. When Jacks don't get shipped north, SDSU will get shipped most likely west vs Big Sky schools, or possibly south vs Southland schools. I like Rabbit chances of hosting for bids vs Big Sky (without Montana in name) or the Southland once SDSU new stadium is built. However, that also means Jacks fans are going to need to start embracing November and December football ala Packers, and Montana schools have done. SDSU has one of the greatest weather advantages of any team in the nation. At least 4 games in the last five years have been decisive Jackrabbit wins because Jacks know how to play in the snow, slush, and icy, with Alberta clipper winds blowing, and our opponents don't handle the conditions. If Jacks were to get Sam Houston, an OVC, or southern team in, Jacks will advance much further. The typical 3 point home advantage springs to about 10 at Brookings in Dec.

Sure Bison are great, but they aren't the only measure. UNI makes a good measure. Neb-Omaha and Northern Colo, UND are also good measures as our old NCC mates. I like what's happening with SDSU athletics, and especially football. I like that NDSU/SDSU have bonded even tighter, and have basically become the major gorillas in the respective leagues. Now that we're all on the same scholarship levels SDSU can, and does, go toe-to-toe with NDSU consistently. For much of the 70s, 80s, 90s, Jacks were at 36 scholarships in football, and NDSU was at the highest scholarships allowed (45 for a while). This more scholarships isn't true any more. In fact, SDSU now has more scholarship athletes across more sports than virtually ANY other FCS school, and even more than some P5 schools.
                    Stop making excuses. /s
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

This may possibly be the dumbest thread I have ever read. So basically what some of you think is that since the dome will be 5 to 10 years older, it's not going to be cool anymore, therefore sdsu will win all the recruiting battles since they have a new stadium and a dyke house.

News flash. Is it possible for both NDSU and SDSU to be really really good? The Missouri Valley is an amazing conference and there is a ton of talent. National Championship game... 2 MVFC teams

Recruiting? NDSU has 11 verbals that have FBS offers.

SDSU has some great upgrades but so does the rest of the conference. Youngstown just hired Bo Pelini. Yes that Bo Pelini. Have you seen Youngstowns IPF? SIU , Illinois State, and Missouri State all have new stadiums or big time upgrades. Even USD is making some improvements. And ndsu is nearing completion of a 42 million dollar basketball arena that will double the size and have huge upgrades to the weight room, ticket office, Hall Of Fame, Student Athlete Center, opened a brand new indoor track facility, remodeled Dacotah Field into a soccer stadium and put a giant multi million dollar bubble dome over the top of it. The Fargodome is made of brick people and it's already 23 years old. It will look exactly the same in 10 years except better ... next year it's getting 2 gigantic HD video boards for the endzones which will be the nicest in the conference. And they are making plans for a dome addition including increasing the seating and adding corner seats.

Everyone and every team is improving and it's going to get tougher, not easier. It's going to be crazy good. If you only worry about NDSU... your in for a kick in the nuts by UNI, Youngstown, SIU, Illinois State, and the rest of the conference.
                      Last edited by gabe01; 12-21-2014, 01:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gabe01 View Post
                        This may possibly be the dumbest thread I have ever read. So basically what some of you think is that since the dome will be 5 to 10 years older, it's not going to be cool anymore, therefore sdsu will win all the recruiting battles since they have a new stadium and a dyke house.

News flash. Is it possible for both NDSU and SDSU to be really really good? The Missouri Valley is an amazing conference and there is a ton of talent. National Championship game... 2 MVFC teams

NDSU has some great upgrades but so does the rest of the conference. Youngstown just hired Bo Pelini. Yes that Bo Pelini. SIU , Illinois State, and Missouri State all have new stadiums or big time upgrades. Even USD is making some improvements. And ndsu is nearing completion of a 42 million dollar basketball arena that will double the size and have huge upgrades to the weight room, ticket office, Hall Of Fame, Student Athlete Center, opened a brand new indoor track facility, remodeled Dacotah Field into a soccer stadium and put a giant multi million dollar bubble dome over the top of it. The Fargodome is made of brick people. It will look exactly the same in 10 years...except next year it's getting 2 gigantic HD video boards for the endzones which will be the nicest in the conference. And they are making plans for a dome addition including increasing the seating and adding corner seats. Everyone and every team is improving and it's going to get tougher, not easier
                        Can't get to sleep, huh?
                        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                        - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                          Can't get to sleep, huh?
                          Pry bookin tickets to Frisco

Comment

SDSU has some great upgrades but so does the rest of the conference. Youngstown just hired Bo Pelini. Yes that Bo Pelini. Have you seen Youngstowns IPF? SIU , Illinois State, and Missouri State all have new stadiums or big time upgrades. Even USD is making some improvements. And ndsu is nearing completion of a 42 million dollar basketball arena that will double the size and have huge upgrades to the weight room, ticket office, Hall Of Fame, Student Athlete Center, opened a brand new indoor track facility, remodeled Dacotah Field into a soccer stadium and put a giant multi million dollar bubble dome over the top of it. The Fargodome is made of brick people and it's already 23 years old. It will look exactly the same in 10 years except better ... next year it's getting 2 gigantic HD video boards for the endzones which will be the nicest in the conference. And they are making plans for a dome addition including increasing the seating and adding corner seats.

Everyone and every team is improving and it's going to get tougher, not easier. It's going to be crazy good. If you only worry about NDSU... your in for a kick in the nuts by UNI, Youngstown, SIU, Illinois State, and the rest of the conference.
                            What if any of the Minnesota schools go D1 in the future. How would that impact recruiting? Three of them are as big if not bigger than any of the Dakota schools.

Comment

I don't think the size of your enrollment determines whether you have ability to move up. It's all about resources. In both cases (St. Cloud and Mn State Mankato) they have invested heavily in hockey. St Cloud like Omaha would most likely have to drop football.

Comment

News flash. Is it possible for both NDSU and SDSU to be really really good? The Missouri Valley is an amazing conference and there is a ton of talent. National Championship game... 2 MVFC teams ...
                                It appears you agree with the proposition that the MVFC schools, including SDSU, are going through some major upgrades. The end of NDSU domination may be in sight.

Go Illinois State!

Comment

Working...
                                X