#18 DePaul GDT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: #18 DePaul GDT

Do we know what a pressure defense really is now? I think so.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
      And it wasnt that close. Over 30 turnovers. Unreal!
      They were averaging 31.3 TO's (forcing) a game, so not surprising really. When I first saw that, I thought it had to be a misprint on their pre-game write up. We played pretty good, but Scotty said they had 78 possessions for the game. They had 28 more possessions than we had.. They'll beat a lot of teams. Wonder how many of those steals Summit ref's would call a reaching in foul though.

Waytashek(66% FG 10-15) and Clarin (66% fg 4-6) ,pretty much our offense for the second game in a row, + Stuart with 6 min for 6 pts. Ellie 3-5 for 60% fg% and 7 pts.

Mitchell 16 TO's, ouch,(handled the ball a lot?).We had 34 TO's as a team.We are not alone, they've forced 25 TO's against T A&M,22 for Tx Pan AM,39 for Bradley and 39 for NM. Wow!
      Last edited by jackdaniel; 11-22-2014, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Giving up 88 and 84 points in consecutive games is concerning. Schedule lightens the next two games which will help.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
          They were averaging 31.3 TO's (forcing) a game, so not surprising really. When I first saw that, I thought it had to be a misprint on their pre-game write up. We played pretty good, but Scotty said they had 78 possessions for the game. They had 28 more possessions than we had.. They'll beat a lot of teams. Wonder how many of those steals Summit ref's would call a reaching in foul though.

Waytashek(66% FG 10-15) and Clarin (66% fg 4-6) ,pretty much our offense for the second game in a row, + Stuart with 6 min for 6 pts. Ellie 3-5 for 60% fg% and 7 pts.

Mitchell 16 TO's, ouch,(handled the ball a lot?).We had 34 TO's as a team.We are not alone, they've forced 25 TO's against T A&M,22 for Tx Pan AM,39 for Bradley and 39 for NM. Wow!
          This was about the worst matchup you could run into when your senior point guard is unable to play. DePaul can pressure experienced high-major point guards, and we were relying on backups (including leaning heavily on two freshmen). There's not much you can do unless you happen to catch them on an off night or your shooters get ridiculously hot.

Comment

This is the same kind of match up that exploited our senior point guards weakness's. This team was not prepared for the full court press and traps.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
              Anyone got an update?
              Too many turnovers is my update. WAY too many.
              Tuned in to the radio broadcast start the second half and when the Jacks committed their 20th - 20th - of the game in their first possession of the half, I turned it off.
              Is this not a correctable problem?

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                This is the same kind of match up that exploited our senior point guards weakness's. This team was not prepared for the full court press and traps.
                Have we ever been? Maybe against the fighting lupers? or are they the DINKbinders (I can never remember)

Comment

I had the opportunity to attend the game Saturday evening. Living far from Brookings I do not get to see many games. Unfortunately, this was a mismatch from the start. DePaul, plays a pressure, trapping, defense, always double teaming the ball, and SDSU, could not overcome it. Maci, looked overwhelmed, and like a true, freshman, most of the night. DePaul, not only played great full court, pressure defense, but they also shot and passed the ball much more efficiently, than the Jacks. Our defense, is just not that good, and the turnovers, poor passing, and ball handling just killed us. Megan W. had a great game and nearly, single handily, carried the team. Despite, the poor performance, I gotta believe this will help them become a better team. The younger players, now know what a "good" team looks like.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                    Suspect you got the wrong person, but Macy Miller only had 5 TO's and Megan Waytashek had 5 also. It was Kerri Young that had a worse night, with 11 TO's...21 of the 34 between them. I talked to Gabby last night, and she had not been given any date yet when she might be able to get going. Suspect we will do a lot of work in practice in regards to handling a pressure defense, as opponents are sure to pick up on our problems there. Having said that, DePaul has been destroying teams through pressure defense, so we are not the only team to have had that problem with them.

Comment

Spoke to someone at the game and they basically said that Waytashek carried the team. You mention the turnovers. Waytashek had 5 in 35 minutes and she was actually bringing the ball up the court as the Maci had 5 in 20 minutes and Kerri 11 in 21 minutes... they were struggling. Clarin had a good game in 15 minutes of play but to often there was a turnover before we could get the ball down to her. I've said this before.... we have some good young players but i think there should be more focus on running the offense through the seniors.
                      Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                      Suspect you got the wrong person, but Macy Miller only had 5 TO's and Megan Waytashek had 5 also. It was Kerri Young that had a worse night, with 11 TO's...21 of the 34 between them. I talked to Gabby last night, and she had not been given any date yet when she might be able to get going. Suspect we will do a lot of work in practice in regards to handling a pressure defense, as opponents are sure to pick up on our problems there. Having said that, DePaul has been destroying teams through pressure defense, so we are not the only team to have had that problem with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                        DePaul is a ranked team causing everyone they've played so far fits keeping care of the ball with their pressure defense, so not too surprised we had problems, especially with young, fresh out of HS point guards, as well as the rest of the team. Much more troubling is looking discomposed against a struggling SHSU. I think it's all mental, we should get over it quickly after a few games of moving the ball crisply and finding the open player. Season's young yet, and we haven't even began to use all the talent that we have. I'm hoping the best is yet to come.

Comment

There's never any excuse for that many turnovers. I wanted to see Miller play, especially after all I've read about her, she still needs some "seasoning."

Comment

Originally posted by boxerboy View Post
                            There's never any excuse for that many turnovers. I wanted to see Miller play, especially after all I've read about her, she still needs some "seasoning."
                            Of course she needs seasoning. She's a true freshman being thrust into the starting PG role due to injury. If she stays healthy, she'll be the best to ever lace them up at SDSU.
                            "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by boxerboy View Post
                              Shes only a freshman, shes only played in 4 games. She'll be fine. Believe what youve read about her

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                                Shes only a freshman, shes only played in 4 games. She'll be fine. Believe what youve read about her
                                Miller looks good most of the time. She is still adjusting to the game. Too many people think she was coming into the lineup without a problem, but she is seeing players that are as good or better than she might be right now. Many also discounted the value of an experienced senior who can be a ball handler and a very steady defensive player. When we are able to watch both of these players in the same game, the Jackrabbits will step up the game a bunch. Gabby will be a valuable asset to have this season even though she may not have the ceiling that Miller possesses for the long term. Gabby will rank high in the career steal column with her short season included which means she ranks very high in the defensive career category. That is a mark most point guards would accept.
                                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Working...
                                X