WIU in the Cold, Cold, Cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WIU in the Cold, Cold, Cold

I have 2 reserved tickets that I won in a drawing last month to give away.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I have 2 extra if anyone is interested.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
        If you were at the UND game nobody can ever question your fandom. Incredibly raw weather and a boring,meaningless game.
        It was fun to beat UND. It was cold. But I seem to remember a worse game when it was snowing. Not quite as cold temperature, but bad wind and snowing. I'm sure it was one of the three games. You guys are pretty good that you can remember exactly who we were playing when. Can you tell me the snow game? I remember some of the women didn't have proper footwear.

I didn't think UND was boring because I like beating other Dakota teams, plus I knew a couple of players on the UND team.

Take some advice from an old Packer fan - the way the Packer fans make it thru cold weather games is to load up with a ton of anti freeze prior to the game. Beer doesn't work as good - #1. it freezes during tailgating. #2. You never really own beer, you rent beer. Beer has to come out. Stick to snow shoe, schnapps, brandy, etc... Keep your feet and hands warm and you'll be fine.

I rather have it cold than too hot. Saw a Twins game when the temperature was over 100. One of the worst fan experiences ever.

WIU has the friendliest fans in the conference. They are improving every year too. I just hope the wind chill gets to their team. You can't duplicate that Brookings wind anywhere that I've seen with the exception of Grand Forks.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
          Access to the Dykhouse center will certainly be nice this Saturday. I will likely take advantage during the first half. If the Jacks get out to a lead I suspect the second half crowd will be minimal.
          That might not be a bad idea

Comment

FYI, as of right now they are calling for 1-3 inches of snow Saturday, plan your travels accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
              It was fun to beat UND. It was cold. But I seem to remember a worse game when it was snowing. Not quite as cold temperature, but bad wind and snowing. I'm sure it was one of the three games. You guys are pretty good that you can remember exactly who we were playing when. Can you tell me the snow game? I remember some of the women didn't have proper footwear.

WIU has the friendliest fans in the conference. They are improving every year too. I just hope the wind chill gets to their team. You can't duplicate that Brookings wind anywhere that I've seen with the exception of Grand Forks.
              Pretty sure the game was 11/08/08 vs Illinois State when Berry threw 7 TD passes in snow. (See post 14 in this thread).

I agree on the WIU fans. We happened to run into WIU fans in a motel a couple years before SDSU joined the conference and SDSU was a D1 newbie. We were on the way to an indoor track meet. The WIU fans were on their way to a women's basketball game. Friendly, knowledgeable fans. They knew all about our women's basketball team. Macomb is a nice, friendly town similar in size to Brookings. We attended Summit League conference championships in cross country and track and field in Macomb. Found an excellent place for Italian food.

One of SDSU President Chicoine's Masters Degrees was conferred by Western Illinois.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
                FYI, as of right now they are calling for 1-3 inches of snow Saturday, plan your travels accordingly.
                Yuck.

We will be there tailgating as always however. I am going to try and rig some sides to our tent and get a heater going in there. Soups, sloppy joes, and an abundance of alcoholic beverages to be consumed prior to freezing in the stands and yelling like mad. Looking forward to that part.
                "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                  Pretty sure the game was 11/08/08 vs Illinois State when Berry threw 7 TD passes in snow. (See post 14 in this thread).

I agree on the WIU fans. We happened to run into WIU fans in a motel a couple years before SDSU joined the conference and SDSU was a D1 newbie. We were on the way to an indoor track meet. The WIU fans were on their way to a women's basketball game. Friendly, knowledgeable fans. They knew all about our women's basketball team. Macomb is a nice, friendly town similar in size to Brookings. We attended Summit League conference championships in cross country and track and field in Macomb. Found an excellent place for Italian food.

One of SDSU President Chicoine's Masters Degrees was conferred by Western Illinois.
                  As I recall that was the game. I remember huddling in our tent with a Mr. Heater propane burner, windy and cold with plenty of snow.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                    Yuck.

We will be there tailgating as always however. I am going to try and rig some sides to our tent and get a heater going in there. Soups, sloppy joes, and an abundance of alcoholic beverages to be consumed prior to freezing in the stands and yelling like mad. Looking forward to that part.
                    How about we group together? I'll bring my propane heater and we can snag our tent that has sides from the YJC trailer. It will come down to the wind. If its calm we can make it comfortable. If the wind is howling you got no chance.

Comment

Leaving Arizona (85 degrees) tomorrow for my first November game in Brooking this weekend. Never seen Temps like what I'm about to encounter before.. I have decided to shop for my coat there. They don't carry the required equipment in these parts. I am open to suggestions on how to layer up and Tailgating. Looking forward to those apple pie shot I got introduced to the last time I was in Brookings..

Comment

Originally posted by NewJack2011 View Post
                        Leaving Arizona (85 degrees) tomorrow for my first November game in Brooking this weekend. Never seen Temps like what I'm about to encounter before.. I have decided to shop for my coat there. They don't carry the required equipment in these parts. I am open to suggestions on how to layer up and Tailgating. Looking forward to those apple pie shot I got introduced to the last time I was in Brookings..
                        Come January, Saturday's weather will seem almost balmy!

I'm not sure where you would gear up in Brookings outside of Penny's or Walmart. If you can find a Cabellas or a Reeds or any good outfitter, they will have the proper underwear, socks, boots, etc. to wear.

The thermal clothing has come a long way since I was a kid - either you had a snowmobile suit or long underwear under wet jeans with wet woolen socks plus cold hands. The Christmas Story as posted earlier is a very good analogy. Don't fall over because you can't get back up.

Comment

If you pull into the Bookstore or the Downtown Bookstore location, there may be some Jackrabbit parkas. Always intend to wear layers which include turtlenecks, flannel shirts, a scarf, and sweatshirts under the heavy coat and a Jackrabbit stocking hat too. Arizona may not carry too much for long underwear which could be handy as well.
                          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Welcome to your first frozen tundra experience! The wind will cut through you like a knife if you aren't dressed properly and be prepared for the snow, this isn't the fluffy, fun stuff you see in Christmas movies, this stuff is little frozen pieces of ice that will feel like a constant stream tiny grains of sand hitting your skin over and over.

First things first, purchase some long johns(top and bottom) and I might also suggest some wool socks although layering up multiple pairs of regular longs socks should do as well, this will be your base layer. I would then go with a long sleeve shirt (turtle neck wouldn't be a bad idea to protect neck), then with a jacket, hoody, fleece or flannel of some sort. I go with a hoody covered by a light running jacket/wind breaker type thing. Then of course go with your parka. Stocking cap and gloves are a must. Protect your ears, neck, fingers and toes, these will all get cold, ears start to hurt really bad if they aren't covered all the time though. A lot of people people also wear facemasks, but I never do because I hate the feeling when they get wet around the nose and mouth.

If you do your shopping in Brookings, JC Penny's and Dunham's all carry nice winter outerwear and the Bookstore will also have Jackrabbit coats. You should be able to purchase the long johns and wool socks at Walmart if you go that route. I bought most of the stuff that I would use to layer up to walk across campus when I was in school at Dunham's.

Comment

Under Armour Cold gear works great (leggings, turtle neck).

Comment

Runnings also has a pretty good selection of long johns and warm clothing

Comment

Working...
                                X