WIU in the Cold, Cold, Cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WIU in the Cold, Cold, Cold

The UND game was the least enjoyable of the 3. Ill. St. game was and EIU games with both exciting for Jackrabbit fans, not so much for the visitors. I will be in attendance on Saturday although I don't think we will be tailgating.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I will pick SDSU by a large margin of victory. WIU has no playoff implications and really has nothing to fight for. If we don't come out hot it could be a slow game, but I think SDSU is starting to click like the end of last year. Also WIU's players once they come out for warmups will not want to be here. No team likes the cold other than the Jacks. We saw it with EIU they were a good team and came in, and looked terrible and most of their players quit before the kickoff because of the weather.
      It'd be nice to start a stat or do some research at our record when the temperature at kickoff is below a certain degree (30,25)?? UND, ISU(red), EIU all large margin of victory/blowouts.
      It'd kind of be like when they would talk about Favre's record whenever the temperature was below 30, he had some unbelievable stat.

I have no reason to think why SDSU won't win by atleast 20. My prediction is 38-10.

Comment

Don't forget WIU's Head Coach is Bob Nielsen (yeah, the UM-Duluth DII national-champs coach) and he's no stranger to preparing teams to play in cold weather. Today's forecasted high in Macomb is 39 but they're going to have some days this week when the temp doesn't go above 30.

Can Sumner exceed Ryan Berry's 7-TD passes (set the MVFC record) against Illinois State 11/8/08 in snow and cold? Jacks won 52-21. The attendance was 3276 and game-time temperature was 27 with a 25 mph wind out of the NNW (and the Dykhouse Center did not block that wind: ground prep and some footings were in but no structure). I sat through the entire game...I was like the little brother in the Christmas Story -- so much gear on that I couldn't move.

The forecast for Saturday is ever-changing. Weather.com at 10:00 a.m. today predicts a high of 20 for Saturday with a 60% chance of snow. Yesterday the precip prediction was much lower.

In late January we will all agree 20 degrees is a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUSmitty View Post
          Per TV's article this morning in the Argus, they teamed up with Groupon to offer ticket deal to Saturday's game. $15 gets you ticket, hot dog, chips and pop. http://www.argusleader.com/story/ter...vers/18760585/
          Might need to sneak in some alcohol to keep that pop from freezing...

I think the cold gives the Jacks a big advantage. Getting an early lead will be huge.

Comment

Originally posted by centraljack90 View Post
            I will pick SDSU by a large margin of victory. WIU has no playoff implications and really has nothing to fight for. If we don't come out hot it could be a slow game, but I think SDSU is starting to click like the end of last year. Also WIU's players once they come out for warmups will not want to be here. No team likes the cold other than the Jacks. We saw it with EIU they were a good team and came in, and looked terrible and most of their players quit before the kickoff because of the weather.
            It'd be nice to start a stat or do some research at our record when the temperature at kickoff is below a certain degree (30,25)?? UND, ISU(red), EIU all large margin of victory/blowouts.
            It'd kind of be like when they would talk about Favre's record whenever the temperature was below 30, he had some unbelievable stat.

I have no reason to think why SDSU won't win by atleast 20. My prediction is 38-10.
            I hope so, but these guys have played everyone tough and have had some very close losses.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
              Does anyone know whether WIU has an indoor practice facility? Will be in the 30s ther all week.
              Hi guys.
              To answer your question, we do not have an indoor practice facility. Also, as a few of you have mentioned, our coach is no stranger to the cold and should be able to get our guys ready for it. The rest of the week down here we're supposed to have highs of about 30-32, so it should be ~18-20 first thing in the morning. If they can get the players out early some, they should have a chance to get ready for it. At this point I think we're more worried about your passing game than we are about the cold.
              Scott
              Western Illinois University Alumnus, Employee and Fan
              Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000

Comment

Originally posted by ST_Lawson View Post
                Hi guys.
                To answer your question, we do not have an indoor practice facility. Also, as a few of you have mentioned, our coach is no stranger to the cold and should be able to get our guys ready for it. The rest of the week down here we're supposed to have highs of about 30-32, so it should be ~18-20 first thing in the morning. If they can get the players out early some, they should have a chance to get ready for it. At this point I think we're more worried about your passing game than we are about the cold.
                That would be the smart way to go about business. The last two teams from Illinois to come up here in frigid weather let it get in their heads as soon as they got off the bus. It ended poorly for them. In 2012, Garoppolo spent the day running for his life and ZZ spent it running for 300 yards.
                "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                  That would be the smart way to go about business. The last two teams from Illinois to come up here in frigid weather let it get in their heads as soon as they got off the bus. It ended poorly for them. In 2012, Garoppolo spent the day running for his life and ZZ spent it running for 300 yards.
                  Yup, and we're obviously not downplaying the importance of trying to stop ZZ, but it looks (to me, anyway), like you guys have done a bit more of "spreading the love"...utilizing WRs a bit more so that there's more options if your opponent's defense goes heavy into trying to stop Zenner. Add to that the fact that we've been vulnerable to the passing game much more so than rushing this season, and I just feel like that's where we generally get burned more often.
                  I mean, we held Wisconsin's Melvin Gordon (currently leads the Big 10 in Rushing yards and Scoring) to 51 yards and 0 TDs, and we've only allowed two RBs over 100 yards this season (UNI's David Johnson w/ 160 yards, ISUr's Marshaun Coprich w/ 120 yards). We're giving up an average of 231.7 yards through the air, but only 146.1 yards per game on the ground (and nobody over 200 yards). So, I just feel like, if we're going to get toasted, it'll actually happen a lot more through the air than you might have seen in the past.
                  Scott
                  Western Illinois University Alumnus, Employee and Fan
                  Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000

Comment

Originally posted by ST_Lawson View Post
                    Hi guys.
                    Good info. You guys have had some close, tough losses, including to NDSU. No four-touchdown spread predictions here, but Jacks should be favored on the home grass (not turf).

Comment

Apparenty, season ticket holders are getting 2 complimentary tickets for sat game. I dont know anyone who will use mine so whoever wants them can have them

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                        Apparenty, season ticket holders are getting 2 complimentary tickets for sat game. I dont know anyone who will use mine so whoever wants them can have them
                        I just got an email about the tickets. I am in doubt about attending. Seem like a good way to catch bronchitis.

Comment

THe UND game was the coldest of those games. I don't think WIU is going to come in with shock and awe over a little cold weather. We killed those other teams because they truly sucked. We are going to have to punch WIU and make them not want to play in the cold anymore. I think we do that. Jacks win 35-17, after our trademark close at half score of 7-7. And yes I will dig out a flask for this one, along with the long underwear. Also if you get enough people in the stands it get's pretty warm, so definitely try to bring some friends!
                          With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                            Access to the Dykhouse center will certainly be nice this Saturday. I will likely take advantage during the first half. If the Jacks get out to a lead I suspect the second half crowd will be minimal.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                              THe UND game was the coldest of those games. I don't think WIU is going to come in with shock and awe over a little cold weather. We killed those other teams because they truly sucked. We are going to have to punch WIU and make them not want to play in the cold anymore. I think we do that. Jacks win 35-17, after our trademark close at half score of 7-7. And yes I will dig out a flask for this one, along with the long underwear. Also if you get enough people in the stands it get's pretty warm, so definitely try to bring some friends!
                              If you were at the UND game nobody can ever question your fandom. Incredibly raw weather and a boring,meaningless game.

Comment

I got two people for my free tickets already! I'm guessing it won't be a huge crowd, but it will be a fun atmosphere! Hopefully the team shows up ready to play.
                                Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Working...
                                X