Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: INDIANA STATE.

Originally posted by timeforachange View Post
    We all know there are obvious things to improve on but we aren't out of the playoffs yet. So why is there no chatter?
    I guess you can tell who the fair weather fans are...

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
      There is a buyer beware attitude right now. While we are not technically eliminated from playoff contention, there are so many issues to shore up that some may be quite hesitant to go all in until after Saturday. If we travel to Terre Haute and get the W, I like our chances. Until then. Cautiously optimistic is the best you'll get out of me. Our inability to stop the run and inability to block up front consistently has me more than a little worried.
      I'll add this, even if the Jacks make the playoffs, big IF for sure, I don't see them making a serious run to the championship. Losing the battle at the LOS on a consistent basis will not result in wins against quality opponents. I don't see has many flaws in Ind St as I see in the Jackrabbits. That said, the weather looks iffy, wind and rain, which may hamper a fairly potent ISU passing game. Nothing impressive about their win over MSU last week, in fact, the Bears should have won that game.

I fully expect the Jackrabbits to win the next 3 games. With Sumner back and hopefully a healthier receiving core the offense should be very balanced. The Oline doesn't have to be great, just good enough. If the Jacks don't turn it over or give up a big special teams play they should take care of business on the road this weekend. I can't see the D giving up 30 to ISU-b. They will look to throw the ball 40 plus times, need to get some pressure but also contain the QB. Their best game by far was against SIU 2 weeks ago and most of that was in the first half.

As for the last 2 games, 2 not very good teams with little to play for.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
        I guess you can tell who the fair weather fans are...
        The vast majority....wait until you see the crowd on 11/15 against WIU. November game, post-Hobo day, not against NDSU or usd.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
          The vast majority....wait until you see the crowd on 11/15 against WIU. November game, post-Hobo day, not against NDSU or usd.
          Add in the fact that this team has underachieved (maybe?) and I'm afraid you're right and the crowd will be small.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
            Add in the fact that this team has underachieved (maybe?) and I'm afraid you're right and the crowd will be small.
            I wouldn't say underachieved. Sumner has been out 3/4 of the year. You throw in a jucu transfer who hasn't played a down in D1 football. Then you can add in all the injuries. I'm not surprised by the record. There are some games that SDSU should have won like the YSU game for instance. SDSU won in Cedar Falls for the 1st time in the D1 era. That's a bonus win imo. I would say the team underachieved if Sumner would have played all season and the team not dealt with half the injuries and they still would have a 5-4 of 6-3 record at this point. I'm betting SDSU makes playoffs if they win out. I'm just hoping not to see another Oshkosh type game in the future. That game is a killer right now.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
              I wouldn't say underachieved. Sumner has been out 3/4 of the year. You throw in a jucu transfer who hasn't played a down in D1 football. Then you can add in all the injuries. I'm not surprised by the record. There are some games that SDSU should have won like the YSU game for instance. SDSU won in Cedar Falls for the 1st time in the D1 era. That's a bonus win imo. I would say the team underachieved if Sumner would have played all season and the team not dealt with half the injuries and they still would have a 5-4 of 6-3 record at this point. I'm betting SDSU makes playoffs if they win out. I'm just hoping not to see another Oshkosh type game in the future. That game is a killer right now.
              The goal at the beginning of the year was a playoff seed and a first round bye. We aren't in that position if Sumner plays the whole year. Our defense is bad. Sumner wouldn't have helped that.

Injuries are a part of football and are a piss poor excuse for the lousy play by our defense. If we were serious contenders like our coaching staff thought we were, we should have been able to absorb any injuries with depth. We have zero depth at many positions.

The only reason I put maybe is because I'm actually starting to think our expectations were just too high at the begining of the year.

The Oshkosh game has no relevance to the fact that this team is not at the level to sniff a seed or a first round bye. If our goal at the beginning of the year was to make the playoffs and maybe win a game then we still have a chance to realize that.

I want better than mediocre and yes I realize I'm in the extreme minority.

Comment

Managing expectations - I don't know about the rest of the fans here, by my pre-season expectations, I expected to have 3 losses by now. Mizzou, NDSU, and UNI. We snared a W out of an expected L in UNI. IL St. turned out to be pretty good. Getting into a hole of -21 points to start the game didn't help. YSU was the surprise game to me. However, we just missed getting a W there.

Ind St. has three under a min left wins that could have easily gone the other way. Conversely, they have lost in the last seconds also. This will be a tough, tight game. Hopefully the #2 TOP team in the FCS (SDSU) shows up. Have a net zero or + on the turnovers, and snare the tight win.

Jacks have no games left that would propel them into a seed. Given regionalization, there's a high likelihood they'll be fed to the Bison in the 2nd round, if they make the play-offs. But this IS a top 16 team in the FCS. They, along with most of the MVFC teams are playing a level of football that is vastly superior to most FCS teams. I hope they continue the trend of winning out in Nov.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                  The forecast is sunny with some clouds and 35 degrees. It may require a few extra clothes.
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

The goal at the beginning of the year was a playoff seed and a first round bye. We aren't in that position if Sumner plays the whole year. Our defense is bad. Sumner wouldn't have helped that.

Injuries are a part of football and are a piss poor excuse for the lousy play by our defense. If we were serious contenders like our coaching staff thought we were, we should have been able to absorb any injuries with depth. We have zero depth at many positions.

The only reason I put maybe is because I'm actually starting to think our expectations were just too high at the begining of the year.

The Oshkosh game has no relevance to the fact that this team is not at the level to sniff a seed or a first round bye. If our goal at the beginning of the year was to make the playoffs and maybe win a game then we still have a chance to realize that.

I agree with everything you say.

Except the part of the QB. The starting QB was a star at the most important position in football. Because he got hurt, I'm giving the Offensive coaches a pass except for the O-line which is inexcusable. QB is almost impossible to have depth without growing pains.

This deserves rep points:
                    "I want better than mediocre and yes I realize I'm in the extreme minority"

I'm with you 100% with this. I know the President and Athletic Director are too. They wouldn't be building the facilities if they weren't. All in.

Comment

I would have to disagree with you. If Sumner plays the whole year you have an entirely different mind set from everyone involved with the program. I don't think anyone understands the importance that he brought to the team and with him out how bad it hurt them. Not only was he a leader on that team but he is a very skilled QB. Am I saying they win every game they lost...no. But at the same time I would be willing to bed the emotions and thought process of the entire team would be different and then who knows.

Comment

I guess it depends on your definition of mediocre.
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I mentioned it in another post, but if we look at how we are with a below avg O and D line in the MVFC we are an avg team overall. But the rest of the FCS doesnt have the line play and phsical footbal lthat the MVFC plays. we are probably a pretty solid team in the general field of the FCS. Sure we would have liked more, but if we win out and the next 3 games, make the playoffs, that would put this team in rare company at SDSU that a lot of great teams and players we have had in this program have never reached. And we can do that with more injuries then we have had in recent memory, and a new QB who just got to the program this year and did honestly really well with all the questions on the line. A few errant throws a few tipped balls by the WR and it makes his play a lot worse then it is. he moved well in the pocket to keep plays alive and avoided a bunch of sacks ducking and rolling out of big pressure. Sure not the strongest arm we have ever seen, but he had poise and did well all things considered in my book. I think because we played some really really tough teams in NDSU, ISUr, youngstown, even MSU was a pretty solid team compared to their record, we havent played a bad team in the MVFC yet. we have the 2 worst teams in the league still on tap. Which one of those teams beat a NAU in the Big Softy confrence who might make the playoffs again. We beat a team who might with the big softy. If you put us in any other confrence in the FCS we are probably win it or come in 2nd at the very worst.

So if we only measure how good we are in the MVFC we are ok with some really good skill players and bad lines. but if you measure how good we are in the rest of the FCS we are probably one of the hardest outs in the country if they make the playoffs. Do you think a cal poly or NAU who probably makes the playoffs want to see an SDSU or ISUr or Youngstown come for the playoffs? I doubt it. would they rather see a brant, or a fordham or a liberty to play? you could probably bet money on it. hopefully this team is ready for this game, if we come out and play like the good half of the MSU and calpoly game, we probably do just fine. but I expect it to be a hard fought game for who ever the winner is.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by timeforachange View Post
                            I would have to disagree with you. If Sumner plays the whole year you have an entirely different mind set from everyone involved with the program. I don't think anyone understands the importance that he brought to the team and with him out how bad it hurt them. Not only was he a leader on that team but he is a very skilled QB. Am I saying they win every game they lost...no. But at the same time I would be willing to bed the emotions and thought process of the entire team would be different and then who knows.
                            Seriously, are you like Austin Sumner's dad or something?

Comment

The goal at the beginning of the year was a playoff seed and a first round bye. We aren't in that position if Sumner plays the whole year. Our defense is bad. Sumner wouldn't have helped that.......

The only reason I put maybe is because I'm actually starting to think our expectations were just too high at the begining of the year.................
                              Shockingly, I pretty much see to eye-to-eye with Montana on this entire subject. It does seem that every year that we have high expectations we fail to reach them.

Personally, I had always pegged this year as "the year". Senior year for Zenner and Sumner. There's still a small chance..................

Right now, I can summarize this season into three words - Unacceptable Line Play.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                                I guess it depends on your definition of mediocre.
                                I'd trade 10 years of making the playoffs and losing for 1 year as National Champion.

Comment

Working...
                                X