Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dakota Marker - 2014 Edition

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    Lucky you. Be careful what you say and do.

Oh whatever....
    BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

This is a good point to reflect a little on what NDSU has accomplished here. The Bison winning streak is 32, right? That's just straight up incredible.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

You must be watching a different game. The Defense has played horrible most games and given up how many big plays for TDs. Count em up. That is killing the team. The offense does struggle at times but puts up points enough to win games if the defense doesn't give up 28 plus ponts each game. Throw the ISU game out as it was a mess.

Comment

Ndsu 33 SDSU 10
          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

There are plenty of reasons why we wouldn't win this game (see other game threads), but let's, just for a second, think of reasons we will win.

What is it about this year's team that we have and they don't that could change the tide of this series?

I call "Jake Weineke" and raise you "no Marcus Williams."

One of the biggest reasons Zenner has struggled against the Bison defense, other than they are incredibly skilled and disciplined, is because we couldn't hurt them when they put 8 in the box. Marcus Williams could shut down a side of the field by himself and it seemed anytime we'd challenge him he'd end up with the ball in his hands. Now that Williams has exited and we enter Weineke, I think we'll have a chance to win more of these 1v1 battles on the outside, especially if Schneider can go and they can't roll a safety to one side. It goes without saying that the Bison CBs are still very good, but I don't see either of them as the playmaker that Williams was. I strongly feel that, in order for us to have a chance to win this game, the WRs will have to make plays when the box is stacked to stop Zenner.

The Jacks' young D-line has to outplay the Bison's young O-line.

Both of these lines had a lot of turnover in the off season and, as young players tend to do, both have experienced ups and downs. The difference is that the Bison O-line appears to have had their ups and down from game to game as opposed to the Jacks D-line, who seems to have theirs from half to half. I seriously can't believe we had the same guys playing against the same team from half to half in the Missouri State and Youngstown games. We need to get penetration and make plays when they are their to be made. Ditto to our outside linebackers. Between the missed tackles and poor angles, this has really hurt us against the run at times this year.

Obviously we'll have to play the most complete game we've played all year to win this one.
            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
            - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
              One thing that has bothered me is the lack of stretch zone plays we've run this year with ZZ. You look at tape last year and it seems we ran a lot of outside zone with him. Maybe that is a product of the left side of our line from last year being dominant compared to their performance this year. I don't know. However, I'd love to see us get ZZ to the edge a bit more. We run him on that swing pass and we only threw it to him a couple times. Once he was uncovered, the other time, covered, but there were many times where we could have gotten him the ball in space and let him do his thing. Just food for thought.

Our offensive line may give up a bunch of sacks this week if we don't have a different game plan to handle NDSU's front four.

I'd also like to see ZZ go out with a decent performance against the Bison, all things considered. They may be the only team against which he has not rushed for 100 yards at least once in his career in conference. Too lazy to look that up right now.
              Call me crazy, I don't think ZZ is the runner he was last 2 years. I think he's banged up and less than 100%, far less. He is slower to get up, doesn't seem to have that "break away" burst and isn't getting the looks he got the last 2 years. Don't get me wrong, he is still damn good. I just don't see what I saw in him last year and the year before. There really is no back-up this year, none, zippo, face it. Zach is worn down and there is no way to spell him.

I bet you we see a different look this week. Zenner plays a limited amount. Others get more looks. Bison win handily. I'm not saying we lay down, I'm just saying we try some different things. I especially look for some different looks on defense. If we don't see some new schemes someone isn't paying attention.

Ask yourself this, sell out for a win this weekend or play for shot to finish 3-0? I' don't know the right answer.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Any word (its probably still too early) on whether Schneider will be a go for NDSU?
                "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

The defenses aren't allowing Zenner past the LOS, and we can't get him past the line for whatever reason. If we get Zenner past the line with even a little bit of an edge on the LB's, he can get yards in a hurry. Running backs need room to run, you're not going to run him through a wall of very large individuals.Quick hole with ZZ following the FB who takes out the first LB might be all he needs for room.
                  We will also need a perfect passing game to give the defense more things to think about too. In fact, we might need the perfect game.
                  I'm for mixing it up, worse thing that can happen is we lose. If you throw a steady stream of fastballs, expect them to hit it out of the park. Change it up a little and see what happens. Hard to be bold against a dominant, diciplined defense I know, but their must be some way to disrupt them....just enough maybe?

Anybody else tired of Bison fans proclaiming what a "Zenner" (X amount of yardage, usually very small number) is? Let's finally figure these guys out and get Zenner over a hundred, and shut these Bison fans up ZZ's last year.
                  Last edited by jackdaniel; 10-27-2014, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                    Call me crazy, I don't think ZZ is the runner he was last 2 years. I think he's banged up and less than 100%, far less. He is slower to get up, doesn't seem to have that "break away" burst and isn't getting the looks he got the last 2 years. Don't get me wrong, he is still damn good. I just don't see what I saw in him last year and the year before. There really is no back-up this year, none, zippo, face it. Zach is worn down and there is no way to spell him.

I bet you we see a different look this week. Zenner plays a limited amount. Others get more looks. Bison win handily. I'm not saying we lay down, I'm just saying we try some different things. I especially look for some different looks on defense. If we don't see some new schemes someone isn't paying attention.

Ask yourself this, sell out for a win this weekend or play for shot to finish 3-0? I' don't know the right answer.
                    I think Zenner has similar burst, but its pretty obvious that our offensive line isn't what it has been the last few seasons. Couple that with defenses putting all of their emphasis on stopping him and he is going to have a hard time breaking big runs. Even going up against all of that he is still on pace for over 1740 yards this year.

We've been spoiled by his greatness. I really hope people understand and cherish what we've had in this kid. I just hope we can make it into the playoffs for a few more chances to watch him play.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                      The defenses aren't allowing Zenner past the LOS, and we can't get him past the line for whatever reason. If we get Zenner past the line with even a little bit of an edge on the LB's, he can get yards in a hurry. Running backs need room to run, you're not going to run him through a wall of very large individuals.Quick hole with ZZ following the FB who takes out the first LB might be all he needs for room.
                      We will also need a perfect passing game to give the defense more things to think about too. In fact, we might need the perfect game.
                      I'm for mixing it up, worse thing that can happen is we lose. If you throw a steady stream of fastballs, expect them to hit it out of the park. Change it up a little and see what happens. Hard to be bold against a dominant, diciplined defense I know, but their must be some way to disrupt them....just enough maybe?

Anybody else tired of Bison fans proclaiming what a "Zenner" (X amount of yardage, usually very small number) is? Let's finally figure these guys out and get Zenner over a hundred, and shut these Bison fans up ZZ's last year.
                      I think what will work will be those pass plays, or following a blocking fullback. Our O line needs to setup. Gregor has gotten a few penalities lately and we can not afford that Saturday. The big problem is the Bison D scheme closes in quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                        Let's finally figure these guys out and get Zenner over a hundred, and shut these Bison fans up ZZ's last year.
                        Okay, we've toyed with you enough. The accurate conversion in this case would be to get Zenner over 25 Zenner's.......now you can use that conversion correctly in all posts like an NDSU fan.

Comment

Going to be a tough one, for sure.

Bison have dominated the line of scrimmage the last 3 years.

Unfortunately, this is the area where the Jacks have struggled in the games we lost.

Comment

Per TV, no Sumner, no Schneider versus Bison.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              I think what will work will be those pass plays, or following a blocking fullback. Our O line needs to setup. Gregor has gotten a few penalities lately and we can not afford that Saturday. The big problem is the Bison D scheme closes in quickly.
                              Nidaros is right.

I already noted Gregor in another post. What is up with him? Your leader of the O-line should not be giving up penalties. Especially jumping on the snap count in a nearly silent stadium, inexcusable. Followed up by bad technique on the holding penalty. What is John Flynn teaching them?

Hopefully they hit the film room and correct most of this.

I'm hoping the Jacks shock the Conference and pull the upset on Saturday. Stig will have them up for this game.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                                Per TV, no Sumner, no Schneider versus Bison.
                                Figured we wouldn't see Sumner, but no Schneider really hurts.
                                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                                - Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
                                X