Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Playoffs Related

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    Does this look like some school has made a pile of money from three NC and FCS playoffs.

Granted a dated article, but the facts are pretty much the same. And Rob Portman is not the best source on any topic except here he did some research.

http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/alm...and-taxpayers/

Just to avoid any confusion for the political minded out there I think you meant to refer to the author as Rob Port and not the Ohio Senator and possible presidential candidate Rob Portman. The USA TODAY analysis is of a school's entire budget and doesn'treally prove much aboutthe FCS money game, per se, but to the degree that it means anything, it may disprove your point. NDSU's 2012 budget had a tiny deficit, UND's over a half million. Only one of the two had three FCS playoff games and the revenue that went with them.
    Last edited by NoVaJack; 11-23-2014, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Does this look like some school has made a pile of money from three NC and FCS playoffs.

Granted a dated article, but the facts are pretty much the same. And Rob Portman is not the best source on any topic except here he did some research.

http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/alm...and-taxpayers/
      I'll still take the exposure of the Bison. What's the advertising value of having ESPN Gameday come to Fargo? What's the advertising value of having your name mentioned numerous times on national radio, TV, and papers?
      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Guessing NDSU got about $100-150k last year for the playoff games, not much but not nothing. That said what how much is a national title run worth in terms of exposure? Increasing donations to the school? Selling more merchandise and advertising? Attracting more students to your school? In my opinion it is worth a ton.

If a team goes to the sweet 16, they do get a bigger share from the NCAA but that share is split by your conference. It isn't this massive amount of money, really in that instance what you are really gaining is the things I mentioned earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
          I'll still take the exposure of the Bison. What's the advertising value of having ESPN Gameday come to Fargo? What's the advertising value of having your name mentioned numerous times on national radio, TV, and papers?
          probably millions

Comment

NO ITS NOT A JOKE.
            I am speaking of dollars that goes into the coffers of member schools. NDSU has not gotten squat for winning those three NC's.
            But someone like Bulter has hauled in a bunch from NCAA post season play via making the sweet sixteen for men's bb.
            I get what you're saying, FCS football doesn't pay out as well as NCAA div 1 basketball does...that's because there's no big school distinction yet, that's what the P5 thing will put an end to...equal payouts to all, no matter the size or prestige the P5 possesses and how controlling they want to be.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
              Guessing NDSU got about $100-150k last year for the playoff games, not much but not nothing. That said what how much is a national title run worth in terms of exposure? Increasing donations to the school? Selling more merchandise and advertising? Attracting more students to your school? In my opinion it is worth a ton.

If a team goes to the sweet 16, they do get a bigger share from the NCAA but that share is split by your conference. It isn't this massive amount of money, really in that instance what you are really gaining is the things I mentioned earlier.
              Good points and I might have understated the importance of winning a NC in any sport. It does improve the fan base and that is hard to put a dollar sign on. Good luck in the March to the 4th title.
              Last edited by Nidaros; 11-23-2014, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                I get what you're saying, FCS football doesn't pay out as well as NCAA div 1 basketball does...that's because there's no big school distinction yet, that's what the P5 thing will put an end to...equal payouts to all, no matter the size or prestige the P5 possesses and how controlling they want to be.
                good point

Comment

On the other hand, if winning 3 NC's in a row isn't worth it, NOT winning a NC is definitely not worth it.....just kidding

Comment

Anyone know when tickets will go on sale for the game?

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                      Just to avoid any confusion for the political minded out there I think you meant to refer to the author as Rob Port and not the Ohio Senator and possible presidential candidate Rob Portman. The USA TODAY analysis is of a school's entire budget and doesn'treally prove much aboutthe FCS money game, per se, but to the degree that it means anything, it may disprove your point. NDSU's 2012 budget had a tiny deficit, UND's over a half million. Only one of the two had three FCS playoff games and the revenue that went with them.
                      Thanks for the correction. Rob Port is kind of a mouthy guy a former prof at NDSU and kind of wet behind the ears in my opinion. I was surprised to learn and I don't know here I read it but a slice of the CBS pie went to playoff expenses for FCS, D2 and D3. They make even less money at the D2 level. That alone tells you that something. On the other hand the Bison are the only game in town when they play at the FargoDome and that big bucks for everyone connected to the program. The exposure is nothing to sneeze at either. They hardly catch a cold over that.

Comment

Thanks for the correction. Rob Port is kind of a mouthy guy a former prof at NDSU and kind of wet behind the ears in my opinion. I was surprised to learn and I don't know here that a slice of the CBS pie went to playoff expenses for FCS, D2 and D3. That alone tells you that something. On the other hand the Bison are the only game in town when they play at the FargoDome and that big bucks for everyone. The exposure is nothing to sneeze at either. They hardly catch a cold over that.
                        If it was Sen. Rob Portman doing that analysis that'd have been a big story, Nidaros... Here's hoping the Jacks continuously get to fill up that new stadium with late November and early December games

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit3467 View Post
                          My guess Tuesday, after giving season ticket holders one day to claim their seats. IRC, that how it went when we hosted Eastern Illinois two years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit3467 View Post
                            Ticket Office tweeted that they can be purchased starting at 9am through the SDSU ticket office. $30 each.
                            "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                            -Leo Rosten

Comment

Thanks. Looking forward to being at this game.

Comment

38-17 State. The Big Fluffy is awful.
                                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Working...
                                X