Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2014 - 2015 Jackrabbit WBB season

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
    Williams may prove to be a good coach, but I wouldn't start out giving her that much credit right away. I think that USD may be one of the top three teams this year, but there is a lot of season left. Noticed that JackMD pointed out the last two times we played USD. The tournament win was certainly a big body blow, but we beat them twice last year including on their own floor. Then we came close, again in the Dome, without Waytashek playing. I venture to say that if they came up with Contreras, and played on our floor, it wouldn't be close. I'll take AJ any day.
    I'm an AJ guy all the way. I'm just trying to stir the pot. Williams did seem to have AJ's number in S Falls for that one game. She found the right combination of players in the first half to build a big lead and then managed to hold on. Her player selection played a huge role and securing mismatches that gave the coyotes the advantage they needed. Contreras went off and Hemiller hit big shots that she doesn't usually hit. That said, the Australian did not play her best game.

In the end it was just too many FTs for them and those 2 big 3's by Tia that sealed the W for the mangy yotes. I think this Jackrabbit team can and will run the table and make another NCAA appearance.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I watched a ND basketball game on ESPN3, mainly because we play them early next year. The thing that impressed me is that we'd just about have to play just about perfect to stay with them. By that I mean, they get a shot off every possession it seems, rarely not getting a shot off, and, they shoot at a 50% clip, every game, doesn't matter who (their avg).I know they are a Elite team and will be on our court, but would like to see more progress on becoming more efficient on offense this year to prepare ourselves for playing that style and getting used to playing that way.We are getting better,but a ways off yet.

Seems every team in the Summit has runs and droughts, ND would bury them if they had any scoring droughts at all.That's my wish for this year,up the level of play a notch. First, get that NCAA ticket punched first, but this would help accomplish that goal too, especially for players we will lean hard on for next year after losing our 3 great senior leaders to graduation. Let's make this year all it can be for these seniors who have given so much to the continued success of our basketball program. Things are moving fast now it seems. Time to step on the gas a little.

Comment

We've made such great strides this year and are playing our best basketball at the right time. Hats off to the team for all the hard work and dedication. One week to further work on some things to be even better for the SLT.No one will out hustle us and take us by surprise this year.We are focused and confident and playing rock solid defense.Limiting the oppositions scoring has allowed us to pretty much take over games.Feeling real good about the Tournament in Sioux Falls,can't wait,got my tickets and will be cheering on the team.Go Jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
          I'm an AJ guy all the way. I'm just trying to stir the pot. Williams did seem to have AJ's number in S Falls for that one game. She found the right combination of players in the first half to build a big lead and then managed to hold on. Her player selection played a huge role and securing mismatches that gave the coyotes the advantage they needed. Contreras went off and Hemiller hit big shots that she doesn't usually hit. That said, the Australian did not play her best game.

In the end it was just too many FTs for them and those 2 big 3's by Tia that sealed the W for the mangy yotes. I think this Jackrabbit team can and will run the table and make another NCAA appearance.
          The key player for usd at last years slt was Big Bad Polly Harrington. Controlled the entire game in the paint. They have no one that can do that this year.

Comment

I saw we were #2 nationally in FT %, so was curious about the rest of our stats, I was surprised at how much we've improved through out the year. We've become the well rounded team I had hoped to see earlier. We are maturing and developing into a team with few weaknesses. This is good heading into the most important games left to play. I'm not too concerned about a couple stats >200, every team has a couple weaknesses they can live with. This is a very respectable stat line, especially from where we were at the start of the year, we've been steadily improving, very good to see.

Some people don't put much stock into statistics, because of the disparity there is in the competition levels between the conferences, among other factors also taken into consideration, but I believe the better your stat line is, the better you will play the game, no matter who your opponent is. They do relate to performance, IMO. Then there's the eye test ,it's getting pretty noticeable we are a much better team.
            Stats :

Nat Rank

Assist Turnover Ratio (343 ranked) 87
            Assists Per Game (343 ranked) 111
            Blocked Shots Per Game (343 ranked) 86
            Field-Goal Percentage (343 ranked) 55
            Field-Goal Percentage Defense (343 ranked) 196
            Free-Throw Percentage (343 ranked) 2
            Personal Fouls Per Game (343 ranked) 161
            Rebound Margin (343 ranked) 20
            Scoring Defense (343 ranked) 133
            Scoring Margin (343 ranked) 35
            Scoring Offense (343 ranked) 39
            Steals Per Game (343 ranked) 228
            Three Pt FG Defense (343 ranked) 258
            Three-Point Field Goals Per Game (343 ranked) 99
            Three-Point Field-Goal Percentage (343 ranked) 26
            Turnover Margin (343 ranked) 151
            Turnovers Per Game (343 ranked) 107
            Won-Lost Percentage (343 ranked) 49

I generally go by:

1-50 ....excellent
            50-100.... good (above avg)
            100-200.... about avg
            200-300.... need to work on
            >300.... everyone you play exploit you in this statistic, and it really hurts your team

People can draw their own conclusions on what the numbers mean.
            Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-04-2015, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
              The key player for usd at last years slt was Big Bad Polly Harrington. Controlled the entire game in the paint. They have no one that can do that this year.
              Harrington definitely hurt us, and got Clarin into foul trouble, which was huge. Clarin's post defense was a big reason why the team was able to make that NIT run last year.

The Jackrabbits and the Coyotes should both feel good about their chances. But you have to show up and play the games. Who'd have thunk Denver would make the final last year? But they did.

Comment

Pretty cool video of the women's practice as they prepare for the SLT.

Comment

Feeling a little bit more "antsy" this year than in Tournaments past, like there's a compelling desire to restore order and right the ship so to speak. This is a double edged sword emotionally for the players if they feel the same way, it can lead to a little nervousness, but also stimulate more desire ,energy and focus to take back what was lost unexpectedly during last years upset win by the Coyotes.

I imagine the team is pretty serious and workman like in their preparation for this years contests, and I suspect they are starting to feel that fire starting to burn deep down inside that all super competitive players have to play at the highest level they possibly can, and to know they are as well prepared as they possibly can be, and are confident and sure of themselves and their abilities, and confident in their teammates. The fans will be revved up a little and more vocal than usual too,I suspect.

This drama has been building up for quite awhile now for the right to claim supremacy as a tightly contested race to the finish line looms. This should be a tournament to remember for the ages. Will SDSU suppress the rebellion started last year, or will the fight carry on for next years winner take all slugfest, with a new definitive favorite. Let the games begin, for the answer must be known.I hear the rumblings of a storm that's brewing in the Summit at the Falls.

Anticipation for the opening tip off should just about peak Sat. so that the journey can begin for that one special team to claim a well deserved Summit league Championship.Place your bets and sit back and enjoy a truly marvelous spectacle.....Go Jacks, my moneys on you !!!
                  Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-05-2015, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                    Feeling a little bit more "antsy" this year than in Tournaments past, like there's a compelling desire to restore order and right the ship so to speak. This is a double edged sword emotionally for the players if they feel the same way, it can lead to a little nervousness, but also stimulate more desire ,energy and focus to take back what was lost unexpectedly during last years upset win by the Coyotes.

I imagine the team is pretty serious and workman like in their preparation for this years contests, and I suspect they are starting to feel that fire starting to burn deep down inside that all super competitive players have to play at the highest level they possibly can, and to know they are as well prepared as they possibly can be, and are confident and sure of themselves and their abilities, and confident in their teammates. The fans will be revved up a little and more vocal than usual too,I suspect.

This drama has been building up for quite awhile now for the right to claim supremacy as a tightly contested race to the finish line looms. This should be a tournament to remember for the ages. Will SDSU suppress the rebellion started last year, or will the fight carry on for next years winner take all slugfest, with a new definitive favorite. Let the games begin, for the answer must be known.I hear the rumblings of a storm that's brewing in the Summit at the Falls.

Anticipation for the opening tip off should just about peak Sat. so that the journey can begin for that one special team to claim a well deserved Summit league Championship.Place your bets and sit back and enjoy a truly marvelous spectacle.....Go Jacks, my moneys on you !!!
                    I've got a good feeling about this one. No real reason, just a gut feeling. Which means bupkiss. But I still like the team's chances.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                      I've got a good feeling about this one. No real reason, just a gut feeling. Which means bupkiss. But I still like the team's chances.
                      Yup, me too.

Comment

Miller time;
                        http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...acks/24474321/
                        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

On the lighter side, remembering AJ comments in his AJ mic'd up segment in Jackrabbit WBB facebook clip of the team practicing for the SLT, he says, " we're not playing fast enough here, this is just a jog. I'm watching our wings go down the floor, you guys are just jogging everytime. Players with the ball, your jogging right down the middle of the floor, as if it doesn't matter. You have to play at a faster pace than this. This is not a jog game....etc,etc."

With this still fresh in my mind, I couldn't help but chuckle as I thought to myself, maybe he could threaten them with implementing this style of basketball if they didn't hustle a little bit more. Really got a kick out of the mention that went similar to " you could tell we were getting to the opposition, when a opposing player threw the ball out of bounds on purpose so he could catch his breath. Very good article on basketball past, and how the games changed a little, I might add.Good comments about the article too, adds a little different perspective with different opinions mentioned.
                          Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-06-2015, 09:08 AM.

Comment

The film clip of the team practicing had Chynna on the end of the court. She may not be at that 100%. The first game against Denver ought to give the fans a look at the defense the Jackrabbits are ready to play. Hopefully, the Jackrabbits will not need to use much zone that first game. The Denver game may not need to show all the tools for defense. I would like to see a score closer to 40 points over the Pioneers the first game instead of a closer match. I am anxious to find how the Denny will sound with a large crowd.
                            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                              True ,but what makes USD tough on defense is their mobility and the help side defense they smother any pass into the paint with. They are really pesky on defense, and are always looking to knock the ball loose, always looking for plays to amp up their intensity to create momentum and stimulate teammates to play harder. This is when they are playing good.

When they let that emotion level dip and lose energy, they get a little flat footed and stagnant and don't contest near as much. It's hard to keep the energy level way up an entire 40 minutes, they try, but they experience lulls in their game same as anyone else, that's when a team has to make them pay. They try to prevent this with bench players who can provide renewed energy to try and keep it going. Both AJ and Williams are smart coaches, who keep their fingers on their teams pulse, who know how to get the most from their team ,and who are very good game managers.

Comment

Charlie Creme has us as #13 playing #4 California at Berkley

Comment

Working...
                                X