Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 10/18/2014 VS UNI Panthers

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
    Lujan was bailed out by D penalties much more than is reasonable.
    As has been pointed out before, those were free plays, and Lujan almost certainly knew they were free plays.

These weren't interceptions waived off by pass interference, defensive holding, etc. They were plays waived off because the defense was going to get called for a penalty no matter what happened.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
      As has been pointed out before, those were free plays, and Lujan almost certainly knew they were free plays.

These weren't interceptions waived off by pass interference, defensive holding, etc. They were plays waived off because the defense was going to get called for a penalty no matter what happened.
      One of those said plays was also a ball that should have been caught by his receiver.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        One of those said plays was also a ball that should have been caught by his receiver.
        C'mon! Lujan shouldn't be throwing the football directly into the face of the receiver!
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
          C'mon! Lujan shouldn't be throwing the football directly into the face of the receiver!
          Yes. Force them to one hand tip the ball to themselves and then catch the ball with same hand they tipped with.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
            Have we ever had a sports center top 10 play before? anyone remember, I don't recall off the top of my head.
            Connor Devine, sophomore center for the basketball team, had one in high school.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zcAA5dWfGw
            "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              Have we ever had a sports center top 10 play before? anyone remember, I don't recall off the top of my head.
              didn't Wolters make the list with his 53 point performance and White with his buzzer beater against UND a couple years back?

Comment

I know Wolters did with his 53 point performance. Also, the SUU vs. SDSU game at the Summit League Tourney a few years back made the Not Top 10 when an SUU player crashed into a gatorade jug, spilled the water all over himself, and changed shorts in front of everyone.
                "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked4Days View Post
                  I know Wolters did with his 53 point performance. Also, the SUU vs. SDSU game at the Summit League Tourney a few years back made the Not Top 10 when an SUU player crashed into a gatorade jug, spilled the water all over himself, and changed shorts in front of everyone.
                  Oh yeah, and the one year the buzzer got stuck on for like 5 minutes during the middle of the game, pretty sure that made it too.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked4Days View Post
                    something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTOAI5CHC34

Comment

Despite all my disagreement......it was still fun to sit down with my kid this morning and replay the Jackrabbit Insider while he ate his breakfast. He's a 7 year old that loves his Jackrabbits. Favorite players in this order:Zenner, Weineke, Schneider and Wesley. He got to see all of them do some pretty cool stuff, especially Schneider's catch.

On to Youngstown.....
                      With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Two thoughts after going back and watching the game via DVR:

1) I was a bit surprised that UNI didn't get a targeting penalty or two. I counted at least 5 times they appeared to lead with the helmet. They appeared pretty undisciplined as well and I think the officials may have gotten tired of throwing flags.

2) I can't believe there hasn't been some credit given to the special teams. This forum is quick to overreact, but slow to give credit when it is due. Syrovatka did a great job with the field goal & PATs, Sawyer had some excellent punts, kickoffs and coverage was solid, and snaps were right on.

Comment

Originally posted by Reality View Post

1) I was a bit surprised that UNI didn't get a targeting penalty or two. I counted at least 5 times they appeared to lead with the helmet. They appeared pretty undisciplined as well and I think the officials may have gotten tired of throwing flags.

2) I can't believe there hasn't been some credit given to the special teams. This forum is quick to overreact, but slow to give credit when it is due. Syrovatka did a great job with the field goal & PATs, Sawyer had some excellent punts, kickoffs and coverage was solid, and snaps were right on.
                          Sawyer did do a great job! I think it kind of showed how badly the wind messed with him during the MSU game. Syrovatka's kick was money! Definitely hats off to those two, coverage was good too!
                          With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Reality View Post

Astute and correct.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Sawyer quietly been one of the best punters we have ever had (statistically)?

I was guilty of a meltdown, I over reacted, as others have pointed out getting a win there no matter how was/is a big deal. that one win might be the secret sauce that gets us into the playoffs again (if we take care of business the rest of the year and dont let a game we should win on paper get away from us.) Many had painted the UNI game as a loss at the beginning of the season. Would be great to have the same outcome at a different crappy dome this year!

Comment

It has been written several times that Saturday's win in Cedar Falls was the first win in the UNI Dome since 1978. A casual reader of this message board could conclude that UNI has kicked our butts in the UNI Dome every other year since 1978 but here's the actual record.

First, it should be noted UNI was a North Central Conference mate from 1934 until 1978 (my four years at SDSU were Fall, 1972 through Spring, 1976, and my next three years were at USD...I remember competing against UNI and when they left. Their Athletic Director and former football coach, Stan Sheriff -- UNI's field is named after him -- thought, and rightly so, that they could compete a level up. I remember wondering whether SDSU should have considered going with the Panthers.

Second, it should be noted the UNI-Dome opened 2/7/76 so the first football season was the 1977 season. (I recall running a track meet in the UNI-Dome in 1976...it is a very good indoor facility and was a big part of UNI rising to become one of the top Division I track programs.)

In 1976, UNI hosted the Jackrabbits in football at their old outdoor facility, and SDSU won, 16-13.
                              In 1977, the first year for the Dome, UNI played at Brookings, winning 23-12.
                              In 1978, SDSU beat the Panthers in the UNI-Dome, 10-9.

The schools did not play each other in football following the 1978 season until 2006. Here's the record since 2006 (home team listed second) (I hope I copied the info correctly from the Media Guide!):
                              06 - SDSU 17, UNI 27
                              07 - UNI 31, SDSU 17
                              08 - SDSU 20, UNI 34
                              09 - UNI 14, SDSU 24
                              10 - SDSU 14, UNI 24
                              11 - UNI 31, SDSU 14
                              12 - SDSU 6, UNI 27
                              13 - UNI 34, SDSU 37 -- 2 OT
                              14 - SDSU 31, UNI 28

Overall, the series record with the 2014 SDSU win, is UNI 28 wins to SDSU's 19 wins; 2 ties
                              In the 'modern era', 2006 to the present, UNI holds a 6-3 advantage.

So, yeah, this year's game was the first win in the UNI Dome since 1978. But, the following are also true:
                              -- in the UNI-Dome, since it opened in 1977, SDSU has won 2 games and lost 4 --- although I haven't attempted to look at the records of other conference schools at the UNI-Dome, we all know it's a tough venue for a visitor and I have to believe our record there compares favorably.

Comment

Working...
                              X