10/18/2014 VS UNI Panthers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 10/18/2014 VS UNI Panthers

The Oline played well in a difficult place to play. The DT is a NFL prospect and played well along with two Dends that sack many qb' in the MVC. Passing game means blocking, receivers getting open, rb picking up a blitz and the qb making the correct read and throw. This might mean stepping up in th pocket, rolling out or throwing the ball away. Right now the Qb struggles at times and tries to make the big play. QB cannot do that or INTs will happen. Qb cannot hold the ball either. The passing game is a rhythm and timing, not holding the ball. Stop the seven step drop and give the qb a chance. As a fan, I can predict the passing downs so defensive coaches who scout the opposition definitely know when to rush the passer. Don't be so predictable.

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
      The Oline played well in a difficult place to play. The DT is a NFL prospect and played well along with two Dends that sack many qb' in the MVC. Passing game means blocking, receivers getting open, rb picking up a blitz and the qb making the correct read and throw. This might mean stepping up in th pocket, rolling out or throwing the ball away. Right now the Qb struggles at times and tries to make the big play. QB cannot do that or INTs will happen. Qb cannot hold the ball either. The passing game is a rhythm and timing, not holding the ball. Stop the seven step drop and give the qb a chance. As a fan, I can predict the passing downs so defensive coaches who scout the opposition definitely know when to rush the passer. Don't be so predictable.
      I hope our staff is reading this thread as they probably don't know this.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        Some nice adjustments by the offense at halftime. Outside of the first drive we didnt move the ball at all!

I actually thought Lujan played OK. His receivers dropped a lot of balls. They gotta do a better job catching the ball. The pick six hit our receiver in the chest.

The onside was unreal. Perfect execution by UNI.

Our D has been awesome since thevfalf vs MSU. Whatever adjustment they made worked. Im still ticked it took six quarters to make that adjustment.

Also, agree with those calling for a run on the last series. Absolutely the right play. You run three times, punt and pin them deep with no timeouts. Put it on your defense thats been playing lights out to win the game. They needed a TD to tie. I love our defense in that situation.
        Agreed. I just watched the condensed game and saw Lujan's pick six was tipped high up in the air by Brandon Andrews. He completely biffed it. However, I would have ran it there, but thank god we won the game.

The onside was a great kick, but SDSU was not ready for it. A couple players didn't even react towards the ball when UNI kicked it.

Oh, speaking of play calling, how about Stig going for it on 4th and 1 from the UNI 6. That's a bold call. The Jacks were down 14-7 at the time. Zenner got the first down and a TD a play later. Hell of a call.

Also, the FG block by Langer was huge. UNI's kicker was 18-19 or something on the season to that point.

5-2 on the season and Hobo Day coming up. Should be a huge crowd with mid 60's temps on Saturday. I'm pumped

Comment

If I was a UNI fan , I would be wondering why Johnson only carried the ball 9 times (for nearly 80 yards). And that stud DE wrecking his knee while doing a celebration dance over an incomplete pass definitely improved the Jacks chances of winning.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            There is proof in itself that the play calling was spot on. UNI pass defensive seem to me to be their weakness, weaker than in past years. Hand offs to Zenner and getting stuffed would have taken not enough time off the clock. So anyone want to start calling plays? Or did we not win the game yesterday?
            A one-hand grab worthy of Sportscenter is proof the play calling was spot on? lol Also,UNI had 3 interceptions with 2 others negated by penalty so i didn't think their pass defense was weak at all. I thought they were very good.

Anyway,i thought it was an awesome win. I'm thrilled the players gutted it out despite some questionable coaching late in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
              A one-hand grab worthy of Sportscenter is proof the play calling was spot on? lol Also,UNI had 3 interceptions with 2 others negated by penalty so i didn't think their pass defense was weak at all. I thought they were very good.

Anyway,i thought it was an awesome win. I'm thrilled the players gutted it out despite some questionable coaching late in the game.
              Agreed, especially the bolded. Look at the pass. It was a wounded f'ing duck. Schneider just did what he does, make a play.

Awesome, awesome win. Atrocious play calling with a lead. Defense rising to the occasion. That's the story I will remember from yesterday.

Nidaros, you are normally very observant, level headed, and a voice of reason, but your point regarding the play made by Schneider is not well taken. (I know I'm not quoting Nidaros, but thought I should be clear.)

Love it that UNI's OC is apparently the dumbest guy in the world only giving DJ 9 carries. Dude is a beast. Any team would be lucky to have him and we'd work him to death in our offense. It is so bizarre UNI does not go to him with the bad QB play they've had all season.
              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                Agreed, especially the bolded. Look at the pass. It was a wounded f'ing duck. Schneider just did what he does, make a play.

Awesome, awesome win. Atrocious play calling with a lead. Defense rising to the occasion. That's the story I will remember from yesterday.

Nidaros, you are normally very observant, level headed, and a voice of reason, but your point regarding the play made by Schneider is not well taken. (I know I'm not quoting Nidaros, but thought I should be clear.)

Love it that UNI's OC is apparently the dumbest guy in the world only giving DJ 9 carries. Dude is a beast. Any team would be lucky to have him and we'd work him to death in our offense. It is so bizarre UNI does not go to him with the bad QB play they've had all season.
                If I was able to attend the Difference makers club meeting on Tuesday, I am sure that myself and those attending will get a explanation on the play calling. I really think it is not a good idea to second guess the coaching calls. I am sorry if that pisses you off, but I just don't do that. I know we all are entitled to our opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post

The onside was a great kick, but SDSU was not ready for it. A couple players didn't even react towards the ball when UNI kicked it.
                  Tyler and the radio guys had the same opinion regarding the onside kick. They said several SDSU players just stood there "like they were waiting for the ball to go flying over their heads" like it normally does on kickoffs. 5:00 to go and the other team is down by 7. How could an onside kick possibly be a surprise?

It was a gritty win though. The venue was historically tough and we were using second and third stringers at plenty of positions. Games like that can be a real character builder for the team.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                    I love this forum, but hate game day threads because of this. (which is why I don't participate any more during games).

Coaching Staff cannot win against message board posters, who are undefeated.

1. If the team runs it into the line, and gets stuffed. They are playing it safe, playing not to lose, etc, etc. (I've personally read this about our sdsu coaching staff about a million times). We don't 'go for the kill'.
                    2. We have a false start penalty on 1st down. (Up 28-21) They have both safeties up.So we pass, and then That's The Wrong Call.
                    3. I cannot believe how quickly people are to turn on their own team. It's ugly, and the Jackrabbit family should be better than that. (I don't care about how other schools act, or treat their coaches, I have no investment in them).
                    4. Last week, when we took the lead on MSU, the dudes in front of me started complaining when we "popped up" the kick-off. Saying " Why do we do that?" While the ball was in the air. The backup TE fumbled it and fell on it, no return. I couldn't resist saying "that's why".
                    5. Some people need to get a grip. It's a game, and it's our school, and it's fun. It's not life or death. It's a FB game. Hope, cheer, support like crazy... and then go home to things that matter.
                    6. Demanding coaches be fired for a playcall? That's ugly. If they were mistreating players, doing things illegal, or consistently failing and not performing, then that's fair. But if we are fielding a competitive team, that is doing things the right way... I don't understand.
                    THIS ^^

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                      It's a FB game. Hope, cheer, support like crazy... and then go home to things that matter.

What a great point, especially in the world we live in today. I am guilty of overreacting. This sentence really puts things in perspective...
                      "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Yesterday and today doing my civic duty protecting women and children from vicious pheasants (which included checking the SDSU v UNI score on the iPhone). I was fortunate to listen to approx. the last 10-15 minutes of the broadcast on WNAX. I knew when I returned home today that there would be evidence of a meltdown by some posters so I decided to not read the entire thread. I started at page 19.

Now, I’m watching the game thanks to Midco and DVR!

Nice victory in a tough venue, Jacks!

Thanks to Kemo for pointing out in post 275 (thread page28): "There were, once again, nice adjustments at halftime. Credit the coaching staff." When I checked the halftime score and noted in was 14-7, I said to another guy in the group: We’re okay. Our coaches make good adjustments at halftime.

Zooropa had a classic comment in post 262 (thread page27): “Thank you, SDSUFans.com, for introducing me to the concept of the ‘Moral loss’”. How about everyone write that one down. Great observation, Zooropa.

And here’s a point well-made by Da Coach in post 279 (threadpage 28): “I love this forum, but hate game daythreads because of this. (which is why I don't participate any more duringgames). Coaching Staff cannot winagainst message board posters, who are undefeated.” Da Coach's entire post is worth rereading every game day.

As much as I like to tease Goon about his inability to control the keyboard on his smart phone when typing a message, I thought goon nailed it with his comments in post 256 (thread page 26) including: “Just watched the game on dvr and saw we won. After reading this thread why does it sound like we lost?... We fought till the end never gave up or hung our heads. The team played hard and gave it their all and fans are here saying to fire the coach. Smh I want to win as much as the next guy but this is sad to read from our fans.... Berry and sumner never won there. Maybe not the greatest uni teamever but still a hard team and good program we faced.”

Amen!

See the immediately preceding post by Jack1, quoting Da Coach.

Anyway, great victory. Lots of stuff to make the game exciting. Wish I had been in the UNI Dome for that one.

Comment

Sportscenter Top Ten - October 18, 2014 (1:15 mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sej9...-LmpTM1lCSrg7A
                          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

My Monday morning take on that delightful first W in 38 years in Cedar Falls....

Lujan was bailed out by D penalties much more than is reasonable. SDSU Receivers - quit tipping balls up, especially on center of field routes. Schneider's top 5 catch - Yes, yes it was. Great concentration. Liked the start of the game play calls by the Jacks. If Jacks can be close, especially in TOP and TO ratio, Jacks have the D and O to play with, and beat, most any team in the FCS.

Jacks D played well, and did a good job of containing the run game, except for the 53 yd scamper by DJ.

UNI has good talent, but are distinctly hampered by the offensive play calls. Their solid defense will lead to some quality wins. I wish the Panthers well the rest of the season.

Comment

A W is a W. Anyway you can get it in that God forsaken Dome. I'm just glad the Jacks won there before I die. I've seen some very good Jacks teams get beat there. It is very LOUD with lots of artificial pumped in noise. And we can't use cowbells in our outdoor stadium! I wish they'd shoot a cannon off in UNI and blow a hole through that roof!

I don't question the pass calls going for the W like the Jacks did. I'm not happy with giving up the onside kick. Didn't anyone tell them to be ready for it? I'm still confused about that. I think it is hilarious that people call for coaches to be fired, after the biggest Win of the season, so far. 38 years is a long time. This is a huge win. How many of you picked this as a W at the start of the season? Stig wins and graduates outstanding STUDENT athletes.

You just gotta luv the keyboard courage on this Board!

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                                Sportscenter Top Ten - October 18, 2014 (1:15 mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sej9...-LmpTM1lCSrg7A
                                Have we ever had a sports center top 10 play before? anyone remember, I don't recall off the top of my head.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X