Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 10/18/2014 VS UNI Panthers

http://www.argusleader.com/story/ter...-uni/17503995/
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I agreed with passing it on first down, we caught them off guard but just didn't execute. I would have atleast ran it on second down for the sake of taking 40 more seconds of the clock...either way, that false start by Louscher to start the series was unacceptable and put us in a tough spot.

Mears, Langer, Sherlock, and Schneider all get gold stars for their performance. This game was Langer and Sherlock's best of the year so far and Mears outperformed his great play from last week. That catch from Schneider was golden and made Sportscenter Top 10 at #5.

Both teams D-lines controlled this game for the most part. From what I've seen so far, neither SDSU nor UNI have the O-line to beat NDSU this year, they both get pushed around way too much. I don't care who we have back there as the quarterback, the pocket has been collapsing way to quick the last games 2 games.

Also, those announcers were annoying the heck out of me, not every damn play is momentum changing. It also sounds like they read the preseason media guide and didn't have any updated stats outside of Zenner and his yardage. I don't really remember, did they ever get around to pronouncing Lujan's name right? The production value was good though and I liked that they showed so many replays.

No matter what it's nice to get that UNI-Dome monkey off our back! Yesterday was a very stressful day for me between my Jacks and my Fighting Irish.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
        We shouldn't have been throwing there. I don't know what else to say. I think that's about 15 steps away from being a fire-able offense (heh), but throwing in the situation we threw in was beyond stupid.
        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        My biggest gripe, tipping the ball as high as a punt....what does someone expect to happen when you do that....gave them the tying TD in about 10 sec of game clock run off.
        Just a bad decision, that should be drilled over and over in their head ,if the receiver can't catch it, don't let them catch it, batt it down. Preserve the lead. This should be a very basic, simplistic idea.

Now, in defense of the player, maybe it was accidently tipped, or things happened too fast and at the time he might have been thinking one of our guys would be the one to get it. If it cost us the game, it would be hard to take, but as the game turned out.....just learn from it, might happen again at a later crucial game or in the playoffs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
          We shouldn't have been throwing there. I don't know what else to say. I think that's about 15 steps away from being a fire-able offense (heh), but throwing in the situation we threw in was beyond stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          This is exactly right. Never should have been throwing there. Our D had played lights out. That's why you run 3 times and punt the damn ball. I've got friends that played for Coach E and said the exact same thing. They know this is typical of him as he's in love with throwing the ball, always has been. No excuse for throwing there.

I do not advocate firing Stig. That's a huge leap for me. He doesn't call offensive plays. Plus, we're 5-2. That's good last I checked.

We won. Time for Hobo Day. Let's beat YSU's ass for like the 10th time in a row.
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

The coaching staff shouldn't be fired nor are they above criticism.

There were, once again, nice adjustments at halftime. Credit the coaching staff.

Passing the ball near midfield when up 7 (particularly the way we did it) was a poor decision. Blame the coaching staff.

The onside kick given up was about as perfectly executed as it can get. 100% credit goes to UNI on that one.

In conclusion: The Jacks are 5-2 and just won in a place that we hadn't won at since the 70's. Take the good with the bad, especially considering there has been far more good.
            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
            - Steven Wright

Comment

I love this forum, but hate game day threads because of this. (which is why I don't participate any more during games).

Coaching Staff cannot win against message board posters, who are undefeated.

1. If the team runs it into the line, and gets stuffed. They are playing it safe, playing not to lose, etc, etc. (I've personally read this about our sdsu coaching staff about a million times). We don't 'go for the kill'.
              2. We have a false start penalty on 1st down. (Up 28-21) They have both safeties up.So we pass, and then That's The Wrong Call.
              3. I cannot believe how quickly people are to turn on their own team. It's ugly, and the Jackrabbit family should be better than that. (I don't care about how other schools act, or treat their coaches, I have no investment in them).
              4. Last week, when we took the lead on MSU, the dudes in front of me started complaining when we "popped up" the kick-off. Saying " Why do we do that?" While the ball was in the air. The backup TE fumbled it and fell on it, no return. I couldn't resist saying "that's why".
              5. Some people need to get a grip. It's a game, and it's our school, and it's fun. It's not life or death. It's a FB game. Hope, cheer, support like crazy... and then go home to things that matter.
              6. Demanding coaches be fired for a playcall? That's ugly. If they were mistreating players, doing things illegal, or consistently failing and not performing, then that's fair. But if we are fielding a competitive team, that is doing things the right way... I don't understand.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                I love this forum, but hate game day threads because of this. (which is why I don't participate any more during games).

1. If the team runs it into the line, and gets stuffed. They are playing it safe, playing not to lose, etc, etc. (I've personally read this about our sdsu coaching staff about a million times). We don't 'go for the kill'.
                2. We have a false start penalty on 1st down. (Up 28-21) They have both safeties up.So we pass, and then That's The Wrong Call.
                3. I cannot believe how quickly people are to turn on their own team. It's ugly, and the Jackrabbit family should be better than that. (I don't care about how other schools act, or treat their coaches, I have no investment in them).
                4. Last week, when we took the lead on MSU, the dudes in front of me started complaining when we "popped up" the kick-off. Saying " Why do we do that?" While the ball was in the air. The backup TE fumbled it and fell on it, no return. I couldn't resist saying "that's why".
                5. Some people need to get a grip. It's a game, and it's our school, and it's fun. It's not life or death. It's a FB game. Hope, cheer, support like crazy... and then go home to things that matter.
                6. Demanding coaches be fired for a playcall? That's ugly. If they were mistreating players, doing things illegal, or consistently failing and not performing, then that's fair. But if we are fielding a competitive team, that is doing things the right way... I don't understand.
                This, a thousand times over.

One thing the Interwebs has done is it's given Monday Morning Quarterbacks (MMQ) the ability to zoom into warp drive of second guessing, right into the middle of plays, as you so amply demonstrate here. It's real-time second guessing. Maybe it's first guessing. Gotta love it. Fans pay their bucks, bare thneir souls for the team, they deserve to ask questions, maybe even make dumb comments once in awhile. Enough of them have come from yours truly, so I don't question people's right to question. But calling for a 5-2 coach's head because of debatable calls - not questionable, debatable - is something beyond MMQ, IMHO

How many doubters on here would have deemed that pass play call brilliant had it turned into a surprise touchdown for the Jacks rather than gotten picked-sixed? Ask yourself and answer honestly.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post

I believe only Bisonville is undefeated in their own minds.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
                    I agreed with passing it on first down, we caught them off guard but just didn't execute. I would have atleast ran it on second down for the sake of taking 40 more seconds of the clock...either way, that false start by Louscher to start the series was unacceptable and put us in a tough spot.

Mears, Langer, Sherlock, and Schneider all get gold stars for their performance. This game was Langer and Sherlock's best of the year so far and Mears outperformed his great play from last week. That catch from Schneider was golden and made Sportscenter Top 10 at #5.

Both teams D-lines controlled this game for the most part. From what I've seen so far, neither SDSU nor UNI have the O-line to beat NDSU this year, they both get pushed around way too much. I don't care who we have back there as the quarterback, the pocket has been collapsing way to quick the last games 2 games.

Also, those announcers were annoying the heck out of me, not every damn play is momentum changing. It also sounds like they read the preseason media guide and didn't have any updated stats outside of Zenner and his yardage. I don't really remember, did they ever get around to pronouncing Lujan's name right? The production value was good though and I liked that they showed so many replays.

No matter what it's nice to get that UNI-Dome monkey off our back! Yesterday was a very stressful day for me between my Jacks and my Fighting Irish.

Goosie, do you have a link to the video of Schneider's catch? Anyone? Thanks in advance for posting if you do.

Comment

Some nice adjustments by the offense at halftime. Outside of the first drive we didnt move the ball at all!

I actually thought Lujan played OK. His receivers dropped a lot of balls. They gotta do a better job catching the ball. The pick six hit our receiver in the chest.

The onside was unreal. Perfect execution by UNI.

Our D has been awesome since thevfalf vs MSU. Whatever adjustment they made worked. Im still ticked it took six quarters to make that adjustment.

Also, agree with those calling for a run on the last series. Absolutely the right play. You run three times, punt and pin them deep with no timeouts. Put it on your defense thats been playing lights out to win the game. They needed a TD to tie. I love our defense in that situation.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                        Goosie, do you have a link to the video of Schneider's catch? Anyone? Thanks in advance for posting if you do.
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3-e9mOpK7c

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                          Thanks! Points coming. Top 5 yesterday? Heck that is one of the best catches EVER>

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                            Thanks! Points coming. Top 5 yesterday? Heck that is one of the best catches EVER>
                            Great catch. Making it happen. Good athleticism

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                              Great catch. Making it happen. Good athleticism
                              There is proof in itself that the play calling was spot on. UNI pass defensive seem to me to be their weakness, weaker than in past years. Hand offs to Zenner and getting stuffed would have taken not enough time off the clock. So anyone want to start calling plays? Or did we not win the game yesterday?

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post

The onside kick given up was about as perfectly executed as it can get. 100% credit goes to UNI on that one.

This. Neither UNI QB hit a receiver in stride all game long as accurately as that kicker hit the guy running down the sideline. The Jacks could have had all 11 up and they would not have stopped that one.
                                Last edited by bigticket1; 10-19-2014, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X