Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hobo Day 2014

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    In history of SDSU v. YSU in football, SDSU holds the advantage with 10 wins and 5 losses. I looked up the most recent 10 meetings (in the early 70s the two teams met three times):

(Home team listed second)
    1972: YSU 22, SDSU 34 (Was this Ron Jaworski's senior year? See below*)
    1973: SDSU 36, YSU 6
    1974: YSU 35, SDSU 21

In the modern era, here are the results:
    2007: SDSU 17, YSU 23
    2008: SDSU 40, YSU 7
    2009: SDSU 17, YSU 3
    2010: YSU 20, SDSU 30
    2011: SDSU 35, YSU 28
    2012: YSU 28, SDSU 41
    2013: SDSU 42, YSU 13

Missed the '79 playoff game when we lost 50-7.

You're right...thanks for noting the error...corrections made - see post 35 JackJD
    Last edited by JackJD; 10-22-2014, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxFallsJack View Post
      Which was Power vs Speed. Jacks play in Youngstown under conditions that were worse weather-wise than last years game. YSU was huge and ground and pound. Jacks had the speed and quick strike. Jacks 79 were like today's EWU team. Win in a shoot-out. Horrible game for the Jacks. Definitely one to try to forget.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
        Which was Power vs Speed. Jacks play in Youngstown under conditions that were worse weather-wise than last years game. YSU was huge and ground and pound. Jacks had the speed and quick strike. Jacks 79 were like today's EWU team. Win in a shoot-out. Horrible game for the Jacks. Definitely one to try to forget.
        I wasn't there either, Brian Bunkers was. I got to know Brian many years after and spoke of this game often. In fact he scored the only TD in D2 playoffs. I always thought that tid bit had the makings of a trivia question.

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxFallsJack View Post
          Have checked JackJD's list three times and only find two YSU wins (not counting '79...I was there and it was BAD). several must be wrong???

Comment

going back to the media guide and my notes....will take a few minutes but will publish corrections!

Comment

HoboDayHelmet.jpg

Hobo Day Helmet, per TV via Twitter.
              @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
              --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Post 28 as originally posted contained errors. I have edited the Post 28 and showed corrections in bold type (I Post 28). I am printing below the corrected list of scores with Youngstown and I have now added in the other three games so that all 15 game scores are showing (the Media Guide states the all-time series record is SDSU 10 wins and 5 losses)

(Home team listed second -- SDSU cumulative record in parenthesis)

1942: YSU 14, SDSU 0 (0-1)

1968: SDSU 23, YSU 20 (1-1)
                1969: YSU 17, SDSU 16 (1-2)

1972: YSU 22, SDSU 34 (2-2)
                1973: SDSU 26, YSU 6 (3-2)
                1974: YSU 35, SDSU 21 (3-3)
                1975: SDSU 38, YSU 21 (4-3)
                1979 D II PLAYOFF GAME AT YSU: SDSU 7, YSU 50 (4-4)

In the modern era, here are the results:
                2007: SDSU 17, YSU 23 (4-5)
                2008: YSU 7, SDSU 40 (5-5)
                2009: SDSU 17, YSU 3 (6-5)
                2010: YSU 20, SDSU 30 (7-5)
                2011: SDSU 35, YSU 28 (8-5)
                2012: YSU 28, SDSU 41 (9-5)
                2013: SDSU 42, YSU 13 (10-5)

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]543[/ATTACH]

Hobo Day Helmet, per TV via Twitter.
                  Mixed feelings about that if they dont go old school with all the uniform. They will need to wear yellow or white pants with a stripe down the side to hopefully tie in the old school look with the current uniforms they have been wearing assumign those will still be worn.

How many years has it been since they work jacks on the helmet like that?
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Does the team purchase new helmets or just replace a decal on each helmet?

I think the helmet is similar to an old one on the credenza behind Stig's desk -- based on my memory of television interviews of Stig in his office.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                      Does the team purchase new helmets or just replace a decal on each helmet?

I think the helmet is similar to an old one on the credenza behind Stig's desk -- based on my memory of television interviews of Stig in his office.
                      I would think just a new decal. New helmets can cost a few hundred dollars each.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                        I would think just a new decal. New helmets can cost a few hundred dollars each.
                        do most teams use helmet decals? I figured that they were actually like painted on or somesort of gloss coverings to protect the helmet and paint etc. I know in high school back in the 90s they used decals but wasnt sure if higher levels of college etc use decals or if the logo is painted on. wasnt jacks if that style or font used a lot in the 80s? any one with sports equipment back ground maybe shed some light on how that actually works.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

As JD's research shows (thanks, JD!), SDSU has dominated Youngstown in the D-1 era. The Jacks have won 6 of 7 and the last six in a row. The Jacks have the ability to win again on Saturday, but because of injuries and youth, they might have to rely more on speed and finesse than power and strength.
                          This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                            As JD's research shows (thanks, JD!), SDSU has dominated Youngstown in the D-1 era. The Jacks have won 6 of 7 and the last six in a row. The Jacks have the ability to win again on Saturday, but because of injuries and youth, they might have to rely more on speed and finesse than power and strength.
                            Sometimes I think its just a program seems to have another teams number if you will. How we struggle with some teams while others in the confrence dont, but we seem to have YSUs number. Seems most games arent as close as many others we play. hope the trend continues today.

Comment

Love the old helmet logo for this weekend. Personally I dont think you really need to wear an old school uniform with it. I think it would look just fine with any of our current unform schemes.

Comment

Anyone know our all-time record on Hobo Day? I seem to recall we are pretty tough to beat historically.

Comment

Working...
                                X