Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hobo Day 2014

Originally posted by centraljack90 View Post
    DLine is the position where they have the think the least, especially interior dlineman.
    ....but learning DL is tough
    I agree with much of what you said, but the two quotes above from your same post somewhat contradict each other. SDSU is not alone in struggling to find quality d-linemen...most schools struggle with it. We've unfortunately been hit hard at that area with attrition of some of the better prospects in our last handful of recruiting classes.
    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Danny Batten did not go to a JUCO he came to STATE right outta high school in Arizona. DLine is the position where they have the think the least, especially interior dlineman. Why can't we just find some big farm kid in SD that can stay low and plug up the middle. All you have to do is beat the guy across from you and hit whoever has the ball. There's gotta be 1 high school kid in this state that can stop the run.

I agree that we recruit LB's to play DL. Granted they are quick and possibly more athletic, but learning DL is tough and it takes a tough kid to play it. I always thought they should put Shoff on Dline. Nobody would block that dude.
      Anyone feel free to correct me, but I believe Batten was recruited to play linebacker as well and he was known more for a different sport entirely. Rugby maybe?
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

[QUOTE=centraljack90;259738DLine is the position where they have the think the least, especially interior dlineman. Why can't we just find some big farm kid in SD that can stay low and plug up the middle. All you have to do is beat the guy across from you and hit whoever has the ball. There's gotta be 1 high school kid in this state that can stop the run[/QUOTE]

Is that a joke? Langer: 6'2, 295#(set DT squat record as a FRESHMAN!) from Dell Rapids, SD. Soulek: 6'5", 305# from Freeman, SD. Gottlob: 6'4", 270# from Salem,SD. 3 contributors right there. "Think the least"? C'mon man, it's about scheme and the playcall. You cannot assume intelligence is not needed at any position on the field. That's solely reserved for posters on message boards, myself included. All that said I think it'll turn around and we'll have a nice rotation. Interested to see what Tywan Ramsey and Tiano Pupungatoa can do.

Comment

Watching the USD/YsU game on kdlt and pretty certain I'm hearing cowbells. I'm calling for State fans to sneak as many cowbells into cAS as possible against WIU. The rule is obviously bull$hit and not enforced.

Ring The Bells!!
          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
            Watching the USD/YsU game on kdlt and pretty certain I'm hearing cowbells. I'm calling for State fans to sneak as many cowbells into cAS as possible against WIU. The rule is obviously bull$hit and not enforced.

Ring The Bells!!
            Someone had one in the student section at Hobo Day that I saw.
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
              Someone had one in the student section at Hobo Day that I saw.
              Good start IMO
              SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Ring The Bells!!
                I'll sneak them in, but I'm going to give them to people in other sections. Despite my moniker, I hate cowbells.
                One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Ring The Bells!!
                  I've been meaning to bring this up. Mississippi State (#1 team in FBS) has tons of cowbells at their games. It's not enforced there at least.
                  Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                    I've been meaning to bring this up. Mississippi State (#1 team in FBS) has tons of cowbells at their games. It's not enforced there at least.
                    In Norway, all the sheep wear cowbells, that's how they find them up in the mountains. They don't dare out law the bells over there. There would be too many lost sheep. I see no reason we can have them except its a NCAA rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      In Norway, all the sheep wear cowbells, that's how they find them up in the mountains. They don't dare out law the bells over there. There would be too many lost sheep. I see no reason we can have them except its a NCAA rule.
                      Wouldn't they be sheepbells then?
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                        Wouldn't they be sheepbells then?
                        Yes. When I was visiting my lady friends farm, I heard many cowbells, and I thought I was at an SDSU football game.

Comment

What form would enforcement entail, fine, forfeiture of game, loss of scholarships. What would the punishment be? Maybe there's no written policy to enforce. If compliance is mandatory. then all institutions should have to comply multilaterally

Here's some discussion on the subject. http://www.anygivensaturday.com/show...al-Noisemakers
                          Last edited by jackdaniel; 11-02-2014, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Well, Miss. State has an official athletic department phone app. Technically it isn't a noise maker, just their phone. I mean, the NCAA can't ban phones, right? Then, amidst all that phone noise, there are thousands of cowbells. How is the NCAA supposed to distinguish between actual noisemakers like cowbells and a non-noisemakers, like phones? I mean, you might as well expect them to do something about UNC's fake classes, and we all know that ain't happening.
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                              Well, Miss. State has an official athletic department phone app. Technically it isn't a noise maker, just their phone. I mean, the NCAA can't ban phones, right? Then, amidst all that phone noise, there are thousands of cowbells. How is the NCAA supposed to distinguish between actual noisemakers like cowbells and a non-noisemakers, like phones? I mean, you might as well expect them to do something about UNC's fake classes, and we all know that ain't happening.
                              I don't have time to dig up the post, but someone here posted the MVFC noise rules. One of them said something about not promoting "noise" through the use of scoreboards, etc.

I wasn't at Hobo Day, but at the Missouri State game they had many, many instances of putting the word "Noise" up on our video display, including those segments where players were encouraging the fans to make noise. That is a direct violation of the rules that were posted here (I can't verify that they were the actual rules). If that's the case, why can't we use cowbells? The Mississippi State folks would only ring them up to the snap or shortly before.........they must have been instructed on how to do that. Those bells were awfully clacky though.....no real "bell" to them.

I will defer to the ultimate authority on this one though........JacksFan#1. Hopefully he can shed some insight here.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                                I don't have time to dig up the post, but someone here posted the MVFC noise rules. One of them said something about not promoting "noise" through the use of scoreboards, etc.

I wasn't at Hobo Day, but at the Missouri State game they had many, many instances of putting the word "Noise" up on our video display, including those segments where players were encouraging the fans to make noise. That is a direct violation of the rules that were posted here (I can't verify that they were the actual rules). If that's the case, why can't we use cowbells? The Mississippi State folks would only ring them up to the snap or shortly before.........they must have been instructed on how to do that. Those bells were awfully clacky though.....no real "bell" to them.

I will defer to the ultimate authority on this one though........JacksFan#1. Hopefully he can shed some insight here.
                                I posted this awhile back. Putting "noise" on the scoreboard is NOT prohibited.

MVFC rule: http://www.mvc.org/manual/football.pdf

Noisemakers. Artificial noisemakers shall not be permitted to be brought
                                into or used in Valley football stadiums. Member institutions shall not
                                distribute or sell any item(s) that may be used as artificial noisemakers.
                                The intent of the rule is to prohibit activities that disrupt play or create
                                unfair advantage. Thunder sticks, cow bells and horns fall into those
                                categories. Non-prohibited activities include the following:
                                (1) Putting “make noise” on the video board
                                (2) Shaking keys on kick offs
                                (3) Drum cadence prior to and during a kickoff that is non-disruptive.

Comment

Working...
                                X