Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 10/11/14 VS. Missouri State Bears

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
    KUlaw I think you watch the game from a totally different perspective than most fans, and that's pretty cool. Most people focus on the snap and the flow of the game. I didn't watch the Jacks play, so I'm in no position to critique their efforts, but maybe I can add some insight.

Zone read defensive lines better have the ponies up front. If not, they are going to get killed. Part of coaching is knowing who your players are and what they are capable of. In zone read, the idea is to neutralize the offensive lineman, with the idea totally vertical players can make holes seem smaller, or hide them totally. But if your front are not studs, and I mean absolute knock your block off studs, offensive linemen have the upper hand most plays. They know the angle of attack, most times they are blocking down as opposed to straight up, and leverage alone gives them the advantage. A case in point are teams that tried to zone read SDSU in 2012 with Zenner as a back. Go back and watch the Kansas game, and a back like Zenner whose speed from his starting position to the time he hits the hole is uncanny, and given the advantage of knowing which hole Zenner intends to hit gave the Jacks a huge advantage because they had a very good offensive line. But also remember a back like Zenner also is a zone runner. If the C gap is filled, he dances or tiptoes one way or the other looking for that slight little crease. Very much like Jasper Sanders of USD. He finds the crease, he's gone. Same with Zenner.

The reason I asked what you saw is that with your answer I could maybe shed some light. My guess is your front 4 (?) or 5, whatever you run, isn't what it has been in the past. And anyone with an offensive line worth a crap can expose that. If your line is average to below average, you better have damned good line backers, or talented teams will pick you apart. You also made an observance about their feet being 2 yards back. That's the battle of leverage. They aren't strong enough, at least against ISU anyway. To succeed in those types of games, you have to slant/stunt a lot. Filling with LB's. If your lB's are commited to coverage, if that back hits the first level, he's on his way.

I've watched the SDSU/USD game the last two years, and that's where the game was won. Last year more so than two years ago. Two years ago we didn't have any talent. We've improved, but so have you. Start watching your front and see if they don't start going low. That will be a signal they have changed strategies. Coaches will attempt to keep their front from getting blown off the line, so in order to do that, they start submarining. That's causes piles in the holes, but then pass rushing becomes almost null and void. Football games amongst equal teams are chess matches amongst coaches. Usually the better staff wins.

Good luck against Mo State.
    Yoteforever, those are real good points you make. I did notice that we seemed to be doing a lot of slants on the d-line, where all the lineman would go one direction, and it seemed like they would just get washed out and the backs would have huge cut back lanes to go through. And yes, a lot of that has to do with us being younger up front and likely not as strong as in the past. As far as if we are to start submarining and the pass rush becomes null and void its not like we have been getting a good rush all year anyways. We have 6 sacks in 5 games this year. Not good. If it comes to picking between slanting/stunting and getting blown three yards off the ball vs submarining and creating a pile at the line I would rather see us submarine. The obvious answer would be to have the ability to be somewhere in between the two and be able to mix things up, but not sure we have the guys to do that this year

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
      I think the Jacks are going to come out with some fire this weekend. They have to be embarrassed about last weekend. I fully expect the Jacks to dominate this weekend.

Let's show up and make some noise for the boys!

SUPERBUNNY
      I hope your right. Although if they come out and dominate I'll be even more upset about last week because it takes an a**-kicking like that to get them motivated.

Comment

Just take care of the damn ball and we should gut this one out.
        With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
          I think the Jacks are going to come out with some fire this weekend. They have to be embarrassed about last weekend. I fully expect the Jacks to dominate this weekend.

Let's show up and make some noise for the boys!

SUPERBUNNY
          I'm not so certain that the Jacks will be dominant. The big concern coming into the season was the inexperience at D-line and the undersized LB core. That got exposed last week and I fully expect Missouri State to key on that aspect. I think it going to be a battle that will come down to a few big plays. The Jacks are negative in turnover ratio and special teams is shaky enough that a big return is always a possibility. I think its going to be tough tomorrow.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I'm expecting a small student crowd this week. Three day weekend, D-Days, harvest, and hunting season are all combining for a perfect storm. Campus will be dead by 5pm today which is too bad because its an exciting day tomorrow with the baseball scrimmage at 11:15, opening of the indoor practice facility, and the football game.
            Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Tyler Merrriam tweeted that Missouri State is 7-2 in their last 9 games versus FCS opponents AND both of their losses were by 7 points each.

Tomorrow will be a battle. Bring the noise!

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                I'm expecting a small student crowd this week. Three day weekend, D-Days, harvest, and hunting season are all combining for a perfect storm. Campus will be dead by 5pm today which is too bad because its an exciting day tomorrow with the baseball scrimmage at 11:15, opening of the indoor practice facility, and the football game.
                I completely agree. The dorms are considerably quiet for a Friday afternoon. I don't believe our student numbers will be very good with this combination.
                Last edited by Jacked4Days; 10-11-2014, 12:49 AM.
                "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Only MVFC game not on ESPN3 tomorrow is the State game. Anyone know why that is?
                  Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                    Only MVFC game not on ESPN3 tomorrow is the State game. Anyone know why that is?
                    It's on MidcoSN, maybe that is why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Also first Sioux Falls Stampede game in the new Premier Center, they've been handing out tickets like tic tacs all week long down here. Nelly is also playing at the Pentagon for like $10 a ticket.
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I seriously hope an SDSU student would never chose to go to D-Days over an SDSU home game.

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
                          I seriously hope an SDSU student would never chose to go to D-Days over an SDSU home game.
                          I personally give everyone that I talked to going down a hard time. Never in my right mind would I bail on an SDSU home game. At least the kids going to D-Days aren't going to the game. Anyways, the largest problem with attendance is going to be the three day weekend. So many students are just going home.
                          "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Downtown Vermillion sucks

Comment

Unfortunately this is not the reality. Lots of high school friendships and the opportunity to party with them is what draws most students in. I never went to d days as a student and would never miss a home game to attend. Maybe attendance will be better than I am thinking because of Dad's Weekend and they have been encouraging the students to wear camo all week.
                              Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

I was in Brookings last evening for the Alumni Association's 125th anniversary and the Track & Field /Cross Country gathering. I thought the dorm parking lots looked about full and commented on that to my wife because it is a three-day weekend. My guess is the student crowd will be decent and overall we should see between 12000 and 13000 in the stadium.

Comment

Working...
                                X