Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 10/11/14 VS. Missouri State Bears

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
    We need to be ready for a lot of dynamic playmakers again this week, including a mobile QB. The defense better do a 180 (meaning not having the line of scrimmage reset 3 yards deep and LBs failing to make tackles) or we could be in for it again.

Missouri State is pretty stout on defense. We must get better offensive line play this week so we can control the pace of play better than last week. Turnovers = 0.

Special teams - Hopefully we have made necessary adjustments. That, or I am almost ready to suggest we kick the damn thing out of bounds.

That or onside kick after every score.

Comment

Game Notes:

http://www.gojacks.com/pdf9/2893906.pdf
      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Just noticed in the stats that Trey Carr has 2 picks, a fumble recovery, and 4 pass break ups in his limited time. We should get that kid on the field more. Wow.

JT Hassell also in a tie for the lead in tackles for loss.

Also, our sack numbers are garbage so far this year.

Plus, we are -3 in turnover department. That has to change as that is what won us ball games last year.

Comment

Eliminate turnovers and better defense will win the game. Safeties must tackle and play much better. Linebackers did very little last week but chase guys they could not catch, especially in the middle. Last, get some pressure on the qb and win the line of scrimmage by the defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
            Eliminate turnovers and better defense will win the game. Safeties must tackle and play much better. Linebackers did very little last week but chase guys they could not catch, especially in the middle. Last, get some pressure on the qb and win the line of scrimmage by the defense.
            If the line of scrimmage gets reset play after play like last week, we are in for another beating. I think we have the guys to stop the run, I just wonder if we're not using their talents in the most effective way. Anyone have thoughts?

It about makes me sick to think a team not from Fargo played more physical than us. That's our M.O.
            Last edited by KUlawJack; 10-08-2014, 07:22 PM.

Comment

If the line of scrimmage gets reset play after play like last week, we are in for another beating. I think we have the guys to stop the run, I just wonder if we're not using their talents in the most effective way. Anyone have thoughts?

It about makes me sick to think a team not from Fargo played more physical than us. That's our M.O.
              100% agree. We have some really good players on the d line but don't think the technique they use is the best. We have a small d line that should be quicker and able to create penetration in the backfield that way. Would like to see them much more aggressive firing off the ball instead of being a yard off the line and reacting to what the offense does. I've noticed #36 Sherlock sometimes seems like he's 3 yards off the line, might as well stand them us if that's what they want them to do. MSU had 3 OL that were pre-season all valley so I'm expecting them to be pretty good, hopefully we can make some adjustments from last game and slow them down a little at least

Comment

KULAW, I'm interested in hearing what you see, don't see, and what you would propose in the defensive line play of SDSU?

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                  KULAW, I'm interested in hearing what you see, don't see, and what you would propose in the defensive line play of SDSU?
                  Well, last week may not be a good indicator as ISU-R's offensive line pummeled our front 7. It was bad.

At the beginning of last year, our D linemen were asked to stand up their blocker and make a read to cover gaps, thereby allowing us to man up everywhere else with the hope that we could stop the run more effectively with the D line. This is similar to what Nebraska did in the past. However, a team needs absolutely dominant defensive linemen to do this I think. This caused our LBs to be out of position because their first read was a man, rather than playing gap sound defense.

We switched back to our old scheme against NDSU, where LBs were fitting properly and running more zone coverage. It worked pretty effectively there until late in the game when our defense was completely gassed.

It seems to me we are trying to run the same scheme as early last year. Maybe I am completely wrong and I simply couldn't tell what we were doing because our D line was 2 yards off the ball by the snap and getting driven into our LBs.

Last week our safety play was pure awful too and we couldn't tackle in space. Maybe that is simply the problem. Better fundamentals.

I wish I had answers. This is all pure speculation.

Comment

I believe Nick Mears should start and stay on the field. Gentile is continually thrown in the mix when he hasn't gotten the job done except against Cal Poly. Mears has been exceptional from what I have seen out of him so far.
                    "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked4Days View Post
                      I believe Nick Mears should start and stay on the field. Gentile is continually thrown in the mix when he hasn't gotten the job done except against Cal Poly. Mears has been exceptional from what I have seen out of him so far.
                      Mears is starting Saturday according to the game notes, not for Gentile at strong saftey, but for Taveras at free safety.

Comment

Well, last week may not be a good indicator as ISU-R's offensive line pummeled our front 7. It was bad.

At the beginning of last year, our D linemen were asked to stand up their blocker and make a read to cover gaps, thereby allowing us to man up everywhere else with the hope that we could stop the run more effectively with the D line. This is similar to what Nebraska did in the past. However, a team needs absolutely dominant defensive linemen to do this I think. This caused our LBs to be out of position because their first read was a man, rather than playing gap sound defense.

We switched back to our old scheme against NDSU, where LBs were fitting properly and running more zone coverage. It worked pretty effectively there until late in the game when our defense was completely gassed.

It seems to me we are trying to run the same scheme as early last year. Maybe I am completely wrong and I simply couldn't tell what we were doing because our D line was 2 yards off the ball by the snap and getting driven into our LBs.

Last week our safety play was pure awful too and we couldn't tackle in space. Maybe that is simply the problem. Better fundamentals.

I wish I had answers. This is all pure speculation.
                        KUlaw I think you watch the game from a totally different perspective than most fans, and that's pretty cool. Most people focus on the snap and the flow of the game. I didn't watch the Jacks play, so I'm in no position to critique their efforts, but maybe I can add some insight.

Zone read defensive lines better have the ponies up front. If not, they are going to get killed. Part of coaching is knowing who your players are and what they are capable of. In zone read, the idea is to neutralize the offensive lineman, with the idea totally vertical players can make holes seem smaller, or hide them totally. But if your front are not studs, and I mean absolute knock your block off studs, offensive linemen have the upper hand most plays. They know the angle of attack, most times they are blocking down as opposed to straight up, and leverage alone gives them the advantage. A case in point are teams that tried to zone read SDSU in 2012 with Zenner as a back. Go back and watch the Kansas game, and a back like Zenner whose speed from his starting position to the time he hits the hole is uncanny, and given the advantage of knowing which hole Zenner intends to hit gave the Jacks a huge advantage because they had a very good offensive line. But also remember a back like Zenner also is a zone runner. If the C gap is filled, he dances or tiptoes one way or the other looking for that slight little crease. Very much like Jasper Sanders of USD. He finds the crease, he's gone. Same with Zenner.

The reason I asked what you saw is that with your answer I could maybe shed some light. My guess is your front 4 (?) or 5, whatever you run, isn't what it has been in the past. And anyone with an offensive line worth a crap can expose that. If your line is average to below average, you better have damned good line backers, or talented teams will pick you apart. You also made an observance about their feet being 2 yards back. That's the battle of leverage. They aren't strong enough, at least against ISU anyway. To succeed in those types of games, you have to slant/stunt a lot. Filling with LB's. If your lB's are commited to coverage, if that back hits the first level, he's on his way.

I've watched the SDSU/USD game the last two years, and that's where the game was won. Last year more so than two years ago. Two years ago we didn't have any talent. We've improved, but so have you. Start watching your front and see if they don't start going low. That will be a signal they have changed strategies. Coaches will attempt to keep their front from getting blown off the line, so in order to do that, they start submarining. That's causes piles in the holes, but then pass rushing becomes almost null and void. Football games amongst equal teams are chess matches amongst coaches. Usually the better staff wins.

Good luck against Mo State.

Comment

I think I learned something reading a message board. Thanks KULaw and yoteforever.

Maybe there's a reason I only participated in a sport in which all I had to do was run and turn left.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                            I think I learned something reading a message board. Thanks KULaw and yoteforever.

Maybe there's a reason I only participated in a sport in which all I had to do was run and turn left.
                            Careful, counselor. Read my signature block!

Be sure to stop by tomorrow. We are going to have enough brisket to feed a small army.

Comment

I think the Jacks are going to come out with some fire this weekend. They have to be embarrassed about last weekend. I fully expect the Jacks to dominate this weekend.

Let's show up and make some noise for the boys!

SUPERBUNNY
                              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                                I think the Jacks are going to come out with some fire this weekend. They have to be embarrassed about last weekend. I fully expect the Jacks to dominate this weekend.

Let's show up and make some noise for the boys!

SUPERBUNNY
                                Wish I had your optimism SB. I may swing by your site before the game so you can convince me.

Comment

Working...
                                X