Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 10/11/14 VS. Missouri State Bears

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
    There is a website out there that shows what can happen when people use analytics without training or knowledge. One graph shows an increase in pirate activity caused global warning.

We all think we can coach the game and know everything that goes on from a distance. I don't mind people expressing their opinion and I'm not going to knock them for it. I do struggle with people coming on talking about stupid coaching moves after the fact without any understanding of what went into that decision, they only know the result. It would be wonderful to know the outcome of your decision before you make it. None of us have that luxury. Stig mentioned in the postgame interview that is linked on Terry Vandrovec's twitter account that they had some check offs installed for Zach and he missed a few things in a row and so they wanted to get him to the sideline to settle him down. Too bad Finnes threw a pick but the end result was good.

Go back and find a 10 year run in SDSU's history that has been as good as this last 10 years. Shouldn't that earn the coaching staff at least a little break? Unfortunately I know the answer to that question.
    Excellent post

Comment

I think just about all the posters on this board are good people. If the purpose of a question and answer dialog is to get a better understanding of what transpired, I see no harm. If questions are raised to imply something negative, to embarrass or denigrate someone then yes that's despicable. I haven't seen those type questions used on this board.

I also don't think censorship with out good cause is a good idea either. Sure, I realize loyalty is quite a strong bond. Most of the time this is good, but it should not be used to censor someone's desire to better understand. Otherwise, what would be the purpose in having a discussion forum if people don't feel free to ask questions ?Could questions be posed a little better sometimes ,sure they could, but no ones perfect.Just my thoughts.
      Last edited by jackdaniel; 10-16-2014, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
        Just for my own knowledge, nothing else, don't the blocking assignments change automatically with a play call change? I would think the blockers adjust their blocking assignments to the play called. Is that the QB's fault if they don't? Some type of communication problem? Maybe they just didn't want him to change calls period, I don't know. Can anyone answer?
        In high school, yes the blocking assignments automatically change with the play. In college it varies between coordinators, but I would bet most fcs programs have complicated enough systems that there are separate calls for the line and the eligible players. There are likely a lot more plays where the blocking scheme is changed at the line without changing what the backs and receivers are going to be doing. A lot of times it is actually the center who will make a call to change a blocking scheme for the line and not the quarterback. Not saying this is what sdsu does, but where I played college its how we did it

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
          In high school, yes the blocking assignments automatically change with the play. In college it varies between coordinators, but I would bet most fcs programs have complicated enough systems that there are separate calls for the line and the eligible players. There are likely a lot more plays where the blocking scheme is changed at the line without changing what the backs and receivers are going to be doing. A lot of times it is actually the center who will make a call to change a blocking scheme for the line and not the quarterback. Not saying this is what sdsu does, but where I played college its how we did it
          Thanks, I had no idea how it worked, thanks again. It was mentioned earlier, and got me wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
            Just for my own knowledge, nothing else, don't the blocking assignments change automatically with a play call change? I would think the blockers adjust their blocking assignments to the play called. Is that the QB's fault if they don't? Some type of communication problem? Maybe they just didn't want him to change calls period, I don't know. Can anyone answer?
            Let me clarify exactly what Stig said. Lujan the changed the play call signaled in, but motioned the trips to the wrong side of the field, leaving him with a called play that got all screwed up. The coaches felt he needed to be pulled to settle him down. You can disagree, but those of you who mourn Finnes' interception should remember Lujan was throwing a few as well. Personally, I think it was a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
              Let me clarify exactly what Stig said. Lujan the changed the play call signaled in, but motioned the trips to the wrong side of the field, leaving him with a called play that got all screwed up. The coaches felt he needed to be pulled to settle him down. You can disagree, but those of you who mourn Finnes' interception should remember Lujan was throwing a few as well. Personally, I think it was a good idea.
              Dont others know the call or signal from the sidelines? or just the QB gets it and tells them the play etc what ever they need to know in the huddle?
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                Dont others know the call or signal from the sidelines? or just the QB gets it and tells them the play etc what ever they need to know in the huddle?
                There is 1 guy on the field who wears wristbands to help him decipher play calls. The quarterback. From what I gather, college football plays are pretty complicated. Plays that look identical from the stands probably have nuance at each position that are directed by what the quarterback says in the huddle according to what he saw from the sideline.

Maybe multi-year starters like Zenner or Schneider have an idea what's going on, but the rest of the guys are probably just worried about their assignment. How often do true freshman play on the offensive side of the ball? Even at places that get 5 star recruits? Its hard enough to learn your own position and responsibilities without having to worry about what lineman or somebody on the other side of the field might be doing.
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                  I had no problem with them pulling Lujan. I did question having the 3rd string QB who maybe had thrown a handful of passes before this throw out of the shadow of his own end zone.....twice. He over threw Weineke about 20 yds. so you throw it again? Anyway,thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                    There is 1 guy on the field who wears wristbands to help him decipher play calls. The quarterback. From what I gather, college football plays are pretty complicated. Plays that look identical from the stands probably have nuance at each position that are directed by what the quarterback says in the huddle according to what he saw from the sideline.

Maybe multi-year starters like Zenner or Schneider have an idea what's going on, but the rest of the guys are probably just worried about their assignment. How often do true freshman play on the offensive side of the ball? Even at places that get 5 star recruits? Its hard enough to learn your own position and responsibilities without having to worry about what lineman or somebody on the other side of the field might be doing.
                    A lot of times as the offense gets set, they all look over to the sidelines to check the signal sometimes they change the play it appears depending on the defensive formation. I have not played college football, but I would assume lineman know the play, like where the routes are going etc and block etc and the skilled players should probably know blocking assignments also. I just guess I assume players know or have some overlap to what other players are doing during a certain play call.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      A lot of times as the offense gets set, they all look over to the sidelines to check the signal sometimes they change the play it appears depending on the defensive formation. I have not played college football, but I would assume lineman know the play, like where the routes are going etc and block etc and the skilled players should probably know blocking assignments also. I just guess I assume players know or have some overlap to what other players are doing during a certain play call.
                      I have't played either, so I don't know. I don't disagree that everybody on field knows the play and what they are supposed to be doing as well as what everybody else is doing. I do know that when things go well, something that is very complex can look and seem very simple. Like the bold. It does seem simple: sometimes, as the offense gets set, they look over to the sideline to check the signal, then boom, they change the play.

There might be so much going on in that 5 seconds that it would take non-players like you and I a semesters worth of class to get a basic understanding. Running a guy or two to the wrong side of the field may have registered as odd to some/all the players. But what are they going to do about it?
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                      X