Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 10/4/14 vs. Illinois State RedBirds

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
    If we are who we think we are, we should never, ever lose in the manner we did on Saturday. Now, the issue is to find out why that happens, as it did last year at Missouri State and again in Normal last Saturday.
    Exactly this x100000000.

The general sentiment on this board after last season and leading up to this season was that we were a top 10 team. Gonna be a great year! We are in the running for a seed and first round bye! On and on and on and on.....

Then we lay an egg last weekend. If we are even close to who we think we are that should NEVER happen. When was the last time the Bison were down 35 at halftime?

You can say the same thing about last year when we lost to Missouri St.

Why does that keep happening?

We've no doubt made great strides in the last 10 years, but if we are OK with last Saturday our progression is going to stall.

Comment

Some really, really good posts on here folks. I love the passion exhibited by every single one of you and wish that could be translated to every Jackrabbit fan out there.

Dare I say it, but we just need to stop comparing ourselves to NDSU. We aren't going to win 3 national titles in a row. We're not going to have a 29 game win streak. We're just not. What NDSU has done will go down in history as one of the greatest (if not the greatest) feats in FCS football. We need to focus on the little things first.......like beating them.

With that in mind, look at how far the Oregon football program has come. They used to be a NOBODY in college football. Now, they are a perennial powerhouse year in and year out. Is that because of Phil Knight and Nike? A trend-setting offense? A raucous stadium atmosphere? Probably a little of each. I will echo Filbert's sentiment that Rome wasn't built in a day. However, the new stadium will not win football games for us. NDSU has been performing just fine in a facility that was constructed in 1992.

Every year a lot of us want to say that our program has finally "turned the corner". That does not correlate with getting blown out 45-10 on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
        Sorry, but I'm not buying what you're selling. I cheer for the Jackrabbits because I find enjoyment from it. It is a leisure time activity. If I took on the attitude you are proposing, I guarantee I would find less enjoyment.

ITS A GAME.

I'm sorry your friends don't think the Jackrabbits are as good as Youngstown or USD. I'm sorry you can't talk about back to back to back Natty's when you're loading your gear into your Escalade for a weekend hunting trip. I don't need the Jackrabbits to win them all in order to have a good time, and I certainly don't need to use an FCS football team to validate any part of my real life.
        Don't have an Escalade. 2006 silverado. It's a hunt I sponsored through pheasants forever.

Jackrabbit football Saturday, hunt Sunday, will be a great weekend win or lose. Hope you have a great weekend too!!

The cure for a blowout loss is getting back on the field. Need to be sharp Saturday or it could get ugly like it did last week.

I would argue it's much more than "just a game". Not because I want it to be but because it has become more than just a game. Our society darn near revolves around sports especially collegiate and pro sports but also youth and high school sports. It's crazy and it makes people crazy. Case in point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I will mention this in passing. I am reading the print version of the Fargo Forum. Jeff Kolpack, their beat writer is writing Bison Lack big plays. NDSU offense has taken a grind-it-out approach so far. A big problem in Bisonville.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            SDSU's administration, donors, and fans are in the process of spending somewhere over $100 million in facilities upgrades in large part to improve the football program.

Just a reminder. Rome wasn't built in a day.
            "I found Rome [Brookings] a city of brick and left it a city of marble."
            - Caesar Augustus [Justin Sell]
            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
            - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              Don't have an Escalade. 2006 silverado. It's a hunt I sponsored through pheasants forever.

Jackrabbit football Saturday, hunt Sunday, will be a great weekend win or lose. Hope you have a great weekend too!!

The cure for a blowout loss is getting back on the field. Need to be sharp Saturday or it could get ugly like it did last week.

I would argue it's much more than "just a game". Not because I want it to be but because it has become more than just a game. Our society darn near revolves around sports especially collegiate and pro sports but also youth and high school sports. It's crazy and it makes people crazy. Case in point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              I took a personal jab, and I'm sorry.

I've seen about 1000 blow out loses. Sometimes my team wins, sometimes my team loses.

Some folks don't understand why fans don't lose their top over a blowout (or any loss). Some don't understand how fans attend a pheasant hunt over Hobo Day. Some like to tailgate, others spend little more than gametime at the stadium. Not intended as a jab at anyone, just meant to illustrate how different fans have different perspectives.

I'm just not going to get worked up over 1 blowout loss against one of the best teams in the country.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                I took a personal jab, and I'm sorry.

I've seen about 1000 blow out loses. Sometimes my team wins, sometimes my team loses.

Some folks don't understand why fans don't lose their top over a blowout (or any loss). Some don't understand how fans attend a pheasant hunt over Hobo Day. Some like to tailgate, others spend little more than gametime at the stadium. Not intended as a jab at anyone, just meant to illustrate how different fans have different perspectives.

I'm just not going to get worked up over 1 blowout loss against one of the best teams in the country.
                Excellent perspective. Sometimes I lose mine. I like to use a lot of bravado and even occasionally vitriol on this forum because it allows for that. Its offensive to some and for that I get criticized. Honestly, I really enjoy getting people excited about the Jackrabbits, not sure why I'm so passionate about SDSU. Wasn't that way when I was a student there.

My wife does have a Yukon Denali so the stereotype kind of fits. However, its a 2008 with 110,000 miles and a dented bumper. Lets just say the day she dented the bumper was kind of like the Jackrabbits game last Saturday. Best if we just forget about it and move on.

Keep replying, all perspectives are valuable. As long as we are talking about SDSU I'm happy.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I'm all for breaking down games and being passionate but I agree with a couple posts on here. It's just a game. I have heard many coaches, including Stig, say we are looking to go 1-0 this week. Who knows, maybe we steam roll the rest of the schedule!? Maybe we don't. You just never know in college football on any level. Why spew hatred towards coaches and players after a loss? (Unless its toward Christian Ponder, then spew away!) Do you think they didn't try hard enough or the coaches didn't spend enough time looking at tape? Maybe that does happen on occasion, but sometimes a team just gets it handed to them no matter how they prepared and how hard they tried. I also agree with TK. Why waste all our breath complaining we aren't on par with NDSU. Let's be SOUTH DAKOTA STATE UNIVERSITY. Let's win it doing it our way, with our players, with our facilities. I've gone to SDSU football games since 1988 when my brother was a freshman. I remember what the team and gameday atmosphere was like. We should be proud of how far we have come as a program since then. We just need to be just a little more patient and hope we take that even bigger next step soon.

I just want to point out I'm a high paying donor myself.....to the concession stand. Don't know how much I've spent over the years on Nachos, popcorn and Coca-Cola. I can't wait for the improved concessions stands in the new stadium.

Comment

Not sure by now that anybody wants to read this post, but having been gone for two weeks, I'm late as usual to the game. So here's my perspective: I love jackmd's passion, and I love the understanding of the game presented by some of our more knowledgeable fan board members. But I get teed off, then bemused, and then just tired of people jumping ship over a loss. I mourned the Missouri State loss last year (was there), and the Illinois State loss (wasn't there). But last season went on, and this one will also. Here's what I do know...we were never ranked in DII football, and have succeeded better than anyone thought at the time, in D-I.

I know how at the beginning of the year, we had multiple posts questioning whether our D-line and our O-line were sufficient for us to win this year. True, we had our big three...Zenner, Sumner and Schneider (in that order IMHO). So we lost one third of that trio early in the first game of the year (and I believe you can argue we lost 1/2 of that trio, because it takes a QB to make a WR effective.) Zach Lujan performed adequately in Missouri, given the circumstances. But he is not Austin Sumner at this point (and y'all can argue whether a Zach 100% is better than an Austin 85%).

And don't get me started on the Bison advantages over SDSU (and all the other MVFC teams, and all other FCS teams)! Just suffice it to say that under the circumstances, we have plenty to work on to get that going. Certainly we have to aim high, but not go crazy when we falter from time to time. Should we have gotten beat that bad by ISU...no, but early turnovers dig a big hole, and two special teams errors have squelched any chance to recoup in two losses this year. I'll withhold some judgment on ISU until the season progresses.

Bottom line: we are a more competitive football program in the toughest BCS conference in the country, than we were some years ago, and I like our progress. I admit, I get ticked off by comments after a loss that label the players and coaches as gutless, no heart, etc. I need to get over that, I guess, because it is, after all, an "opinion" board. But I am a Jackrabbit fan, win or lose, and I want to see the Jacks win as much as the rest of you.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                      Excellent perspective. Sometimes I lose mine. I like to use a lot of bravado and even occasionally vitriol on this forum because it allows for that. Its offensive to some and for that I get criticized. Honestly, I really enjoy getting people excited about the Jackrabbits, not sure why I'm so passionate about SDSU. Wasn't that way when I was a student there.

My wife does have a Yukon Denali so the stereotype kind of fits. However, its a 2008 with 110,000 miles and a dented bumper. Lets just say the day she dented the bumper was kind of like the Jackrabbits game last Saturday. Best if we just forget about it and move on.

Keep replying, all perspectives are valuable. As long as we are talking about SDSU I'm happy.
                      Terrific post. I couldn't have written it better myself. Ditto for Jacks#1 fan. Rep points for both of you.

Comment

Working...
                      X