10/4/14 vs. Illinois State RedBirds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10/4/14 vs. Illinois State RedBirds

Huge game next Saturday. ISU-R is sitting at 2-0 going into tomorrow's matchup with Austin Peay. Those previous victories are over Mississippi Valley State (62-0) and Eastern Illinois (34-15). It will be homecoming in Normal, and assuming ISU takes care of the governors, it will be a top 20 showdown. The redbirds are playing their second year in a recently renovated stadium (13,300 capacity), and there is a very good chance this game will be a sellout. this game will also be the fourth home game in a row for ISU before they hit the road for the next stretch of their MVFC schedule. The Redbirds finished last year at 5-6.

*This is a huge game, and it will most definitely have playoff implications for both teams. It is likely to be a very tough environment for the Jacks to play in, and securing a tough win on the road like this would go a long way towards cementing a playoff resume. Thoughts on the game and the ISU ball club this year? The only test the Birds have faced this year was EIU, and I would argue that the Panthers are marginal at best this year. The Redbirds have also not played the jacks while Zenner was the feature RB, which could be an interesting storyline throughout the game. Thoughts on the game?

Re: 10/4/14 vs. Illinois State RedBirds

Big playoff implications in week one. Without this win, we would be starting off in a huge hole. ISU's schedule looks a bit more "friendly" than ours going forward (no game with NDSU) so we would not want them holding a tiebreaker over our heads in a tight race for (possibly) three playoffs spots. I'm glad we have a week off and they don't. Hit them with that power running game for four quarters.

Comment

Zenner has been the feature RB for three years. What's the reference to not playing Jacks while he was the feature RB?

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
        Zenner has been the feature RB for three years. What's the reference to not playing Jacks while he was the feature RB?
        I don't believe they have been on our conference schedule the last two years but I may be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHSUandSDSU View Post
          I don't believe they have been on our conference schedule the last two years but I may be wrong.
          you're right

Comment

The reference was to the fact that they have been rotated off our schedule for two years, and in 2011, he was splitting time with Tyrel Kool for time at RB as a redshirt freshman.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
              The reference was to the fact that they have been rotated off our schedule for two years, and in 2011, he was splitting time with Tyrel Kool for time at RB as a redshirt freshman.
              I have no quarrel with what has been said so far. It will be interesting on how the Redbirds will line up on defense. Will they watch the NDSU-SDSU game from last year and stack the box. If they are that naive, it will open passing opportunities with Lujan to Jake, Jason and the receiving crew. No doubt this game will be of interest.

Comment

Holy s$%$ that is one big O-line that they have, looks like they are averaging a nice 300+! Not too skinny on the DL side either....Jacks had two weeks to get ready for this game. I hope there isn't any sluggishness. This one needs to be played with intensity right out of the chute. Looks like Redbirds have a good offense, fairly balanced. I'm not saying the season hinges on a win here.......ok that is exactly what I am saying. The Valley is the toughest it's ever been, if you cant see that then you must be watching Big Sky football accidentally. This is a must-win for playoffs! That being said Jacks squeak by 24-17, probably holding off the Birds in the last minute or so.

Edit: I did some more math and it's something like an average of 320 for all their Olineman, now you take the smallish(and I use that term lightly, pun intended) freshman and sophomores out, and yikes!
                With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

This is the fourth game in a row someone has made the game a must win for playoffs. My deduction from these posts is the Jacks must go 11-1 to go to the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHSUandSDSU View Post
                    This is the fourth game in a row someone has made the game a must win for playoffs. My deduction from these posts is the Jacks must go 11-1 to go to the playoffs.
                    The way I see it is we are 2-1. I am not counting the oshkosh game since it doesn't really help us. And we lose we go to 2-2. That's a tough place to be in. Starting with a win in confrence would be ideal. A lose wouldn't ruin the season but every one has us losing at ndsu and uni so we would have 4 losses if we lose this game. I pefer to let them play the games before deciding those things. But good teams need to win at home and split on the road at least. All I want to see is sdsu go 1-0 this week.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      The way I see it is we are 2-1. I am not counting the oshkosh game since it doesn't really help us. And we lose we go to 2-2. That's a tough place to be in. Starting with a win in confrence would be ideal. A lose wouldn't ruin the season but every one has us losing at ndsu and uni so we would have 4 losses if we lose this game. I pefer to let them play the games before deciding those things. But good teams need to win at home and split on the road at least. All I want to see is sdsu go 1-0 this week.
                      There is no wiggle room, I'm not looking at the losses needed to stay in the playoff hunt...Maybe I need to clarify myself a little more....I'm looking at the wins needed to be eligible for the playoffs, different mindset I guess.....Once the Jacks hit 9-1 I will breathe easier and we play for seeding after that......I'm not counting UNI and NDSU as losses, but I'm not hoping the playoff berth hinges on beating them both on the road either......it took a ricocheting Field Goal from a kicker who hadn't missed to beat UNI at our place last year, they are much, much better this year......
                      With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Agreed, this week is not literally "must win", but it's pretty close. In order to be a sure-thing for the playoffs, we probably need six more wins. That means every loss against the likes of ISU (either one), MSU, YSU, WIU or USD would have to be offset with a win at UNI or NDSU. Tough.

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                          There is no wiggle room, I'm not looking at the losses needed to stay in the playoff hunt...Maybe I need to clarify myself a little more....I'm looking at the wins needed to be eligible for the playoffs, different mindset I guess.....Once the Jacks hit 9-1 I will breathe easier and we play for seeding after that......I'm not counting UNI and NDSU as losses, but I'm not hoping the playoff berth hinges on beating them both on the road either......it took a ricocheting Field Goal from a kicker who hadn't missed to beat UNI at our place last year, they are much, much better this year......
                          Who says we aren't better too? Every game is important- point made by many. Can we just move on to actual conversation about the teams we are facing (rather than what happens if we lose before the game even starts)

Comment

What type of offense and defense will the Birds show in Normal this year? If I recall correctly, they had a very efficient passing attack in 2012 when they made the quarterfinals and lost at Cheney to EWU. Any input? In my opinion, there is no gage on how decent of a team they actually have this year. 3-0, but with two of those teams being worthless, and EIU being a former shell of the 2013 version of the panthers. (By the way, when ISUr and EIU played last year, the panthers won 57-24, in Charleston).

Comment

Originally posted by trueblue View Post
                              Who says we aren't better too? Every game is important- point made by many. Can we just move on to actual conversation about the teams we are facing (rather than what happens if we lose before the game even starts)
                              That is a great direction. Last year there was talk of missing playoffs if we lost to Missouri State. There may have been other games on the list as well. It makes the last game more interesting I guess.
                              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Working...
                              X