Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 10/4/14 vs. Illinois State RedBirds

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    In my opinion, there is no gage on how decent of a team they actually have this year. 3-0, but with two of those teams being worthless, and EIU being a former shell of the 2013 version of the panthers. (By the way, when ISUr and EIU played last year, the panthers won 57-24, in Charleston).
    You pretty much summed it up. We really don't know what kind of team ISU-Red has because they really haven't been challenged by their non-conference schedule.

I like to think that, due to our solid out-of-conference schedule, the Jacks will be more prepared for the challenge the Birds have to offer than the other way around.
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
      You pretty much summed it up. We really don't know what kind of team ISU-Red has because they really haven't been challenged by their non-conference schedule.

I like to think that, due to our solid out-of-conference schedule, the Jacks will be more prepared for the challenge the Birds have to offer than the other way around.
      Likewise, ISU(R) doesn't have a good handle on the Rabbits. Obviously, beating SUU, and Cal Poly doesn't give them anything more to work with than what the Redbirds did to EIU. Oshkosh was equivalent of playing Austin Peay.

Comment

Its going to be a hard fought battle and close game. I think these teams are fairly evenly matched. ISU has a high powered offense but they haven't faced a solid defense, that will change Saturday. Zenner has to have his typical big game and Lujan can't throw picks early. I'm still worried about special teams, especially punt and kickoff coverage. If ISU wins the field position battle it will be tough to win this one. It will likely come down to establishing the run, keeping ISU out of the endzone (bend don't break defense) and the most important factor will likely be turnovers. If one team gives the ball up to the other they are going to be in trouble. Should be a heck of a game.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Is their a watch party in the sf area sat? I won't be going to kravn ever again after the dining experience last time.
          But would like to be part of a get together.

Comment

If anyone already posted this, I missed it.

Redbird Football Forum: http://www.redbirdfan.net/forum/view...ed5fe639718184
            Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
              What type of offense and defense will the Birds show in Normal this year? If I recall correctly, they had a very efficient passing attack in 2012 when they made the quarterfinals and lost at Cheney to EWU. Any input? In my opinion, there is no gage on how decent of a team they actually have this year. 3-0, but with two of those teams being worthless, and EIU being a former shell of the 2013 version of the panthers. (By the way, when ISUr and EIU played last year, the panthers won 57-24, in Charleston).
              Hey guys, admin of redbirdfan.net here. Good luck Saturday, should be a great game and atmosphere with Homecoming.

ISU has Indiana sophmore transfer Tre Roberson starting at QB this year. Last year was a freshman QB, he is now the back up. We also have a pretty decent RB in Marshaun Coprich and a good sized WR in Lechein Neblett. He has five TD's on 12 catches in three games.

The defensive front 7 will be our question mark. I think our safeties will hold their own, but if the front 7 can't get pressure or shut down the run it could be a long afternoon. Weather is supposed to be perfect. Sunny and highs in the low 60's. Perfect weather for a parade, tailgate and football.

Comment

http://goredbirds.com/watch/?Archive=263

It looks like the ISU site is the only video source. Is that correct?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Welcome to the board, isuquinndog. Saturday's game should be a classic. I think it'll be close much of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                    http://goredbirds.com/watch/?Archive=263

It looks like the ISU site is the only video source. Is that correct?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                    Yep, no TV here. Our game next week at Indy St is on ESPN3, but nothing for this game other than ISU's own feed. I will say, it's pretty good quality video feed.

Comment

I hope we can shorten this game with our run game and long sustained drives ending in 7 rather than 3. If we do that, we should win comfortably, maybe 7-10 points. That is comfort on the road against a good opponent.

There is some analysis over on ISU-R's board about our DL being hit hard by graduation. I think they will be surprised when they see the quality we have up front on Saturday. It is probably the most pleasant surprise of the season for me.

Our corners and safeties will get tested. I'm not worried about our CBs at all, but I am about the safeties. I hope we can contain some of the deep balls they will undoubtedly throw. LBs will need to stay home on Roberson and take away the edge on the read-option stuff.

I'm getting wound up for this and it is only Tuesday.
                      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

I'm concerned how our offensive scheme will play out against a ball control offense. Maybe the approach we've shown in the first three weeks is a canard and we'll switch it up for the Jackrabbits. If not, we'll establish the run and let it fly to one of our tall wide outs when the situation presents itself.

I also think this may play out into a more conservative offensive show than the shoot out many expect. But I'm wrong as often as I'm right.

I'll wish ya the best of luck next week, Jackrabbit Nation! As for this week....

Comment

I believe our success hinges on the offensive playbook. If we bring the Missouri playbook - spreading the ball around and involving everyone, we will be fine. We must stay away from the usual run on first down, run on second down, and throw on third down. I believe we have to open things up and our offensive performance against Missouri should have shown that. I don't expect a shut out and if we are a good team, we need to overcome adversity.

Comment

Game notes:

http://www.gojacks.com/pdf9/2866635.pdf

Looks like everyone is back and on the depth chart. Kyle Paris has moved into the No. 3 position at RB.

We will be starting Dallas Brown as SAM LB. I just don't like that against a big physical team. He hasn't shown a desire and ability to get his nose in there against the run. We'll see what happens.
                            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Weather keeps getting colder. With a lot of rain coming to the area tonight and Thursday (1-3 inches!!) cooler temps are finally coming to central IL (been in the 80's all week). High on Saturday is now a chilly 52. I'm sure at 2 pm it'll be in the high 40's.

Comment

Originally posted by isuquinndog View Post
                                Weather keeps getting colder. With a lot of rain coming to the area tonight and Thursday (1-3 inches!!) cooler temps are finally coming to central IL (been in the 80's all week). High on Saturday is now a chilly 52. I'm sure at 2 pm it'll be in the high 40's.
                                Going to be 44 for the high temp here on Friday. Likely to be a light freeze up north. High 40's is about just right for FB. Put on some sleeves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X