Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Renovated Frost

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    It could be under SDSU Planning under Budget and Finance, which is listed under the consent agenda.

But I have my doubts that would be it, my guess is if SDSU was planning to put it to the Board of Regents we would have heard more by now. Just a hunch.
    It wouldn't be under consent agenda. Capital Project list under 6 Budget and Finance?

Comment

Originally posted by jbjack View Post
      It wouldn't be under consent agenda. Capital Project list under 6 Budget and Finance?
      The SDBOR website has additional detail for all the items on the Agenda (with the obvious exception of the Executive Session items) I found no mention of Frost renovation in my quick review of the info.
      USD Fan

Comment

Just saying under number 3 the Stanley J Marshall center is listed under consent agenda... for those of you unaware, this is the building that houses Frost Arena. I dont know if this means arena renovation or not but it at least gives me hope....

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit_Alum2003 View Post
          Just saying under number 3 the Stanley J Marshall center is listed under consent agenda... for those of you unaware, this is the building that houses Frost Arena. I dont know if this means arena renovation or not but it at least gives me hope....
          • Address

Stanley J.Marshall HPER Center (SPE)
          • Details

• Stanley J. Marshall HPER Center, houses offices for most of the Athletic Department as well as Frost Arena, the 6,500-seat home of the SDSU Jackrabbits. Also within the HPER Center is an indoor track for athletic teams and a swimming pool.
          • History

• Ground was broken Sept. 22, 1970, for the center with cornerstone placed by Gov. Richard Kneip on Oct. 2, 1971. It opened in late January 1973 with the first basketball game Feb. 2, 1973. The NCAA Division II national wrestling tournament held there in March 1973. Total construction cost was $3,685,000. Out of 158,000 square-feet, Frost Arena comprises 18,415 square feet. The seating configuration of the arena has been changed and downsized several times since its initial opening. The center is named for Stan Marshall, athletic director from 1965 to 1980 and a national leader in the field, while the arena is named for Jack Frost, who served as athletic director and head of the physical education department from 1947 to 1960.

Comment

The agenda item is only to change the name from Stanly J. Marshall HPER Center to the Stanly J. Marshall Center - https://www.sdbor.edu/theboard/agend..._2_BOR1015.pdf
            USD Fan

Comment

Originally posted by hareball View Post
              The agenda item is only to change the name from Stanly J. Marshall HPER Center to the Stanly J. Marshall Center - https://www.sdbor.edu/theboard/agend..._2_BOR1015.pdf
              HPER was my major. I don't think they even have it anymore.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I've heard rumors that there are some very large donations in the queue for a practice facility and renovating Frost Arena. Just curious, but if SDSU is able to raise all the money up front (no financing like the football stadium), does the BOR still need to approve? The legislature?
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                  I've heard rumors that there are some very large donations in the queue for a practice facility and renovating Frost Arena. Just curious, but if SDSU is able to raise all the money up front (no financing like the football stadium), does the BOR still need to approve? The legislature?
                  A good question. For certain if this was a new building approval would be required since the state has the responsibility for utilities and maintenance. With an existing structure, maybe not, unless it involving any additions to the current structure.

Comment

Legally, Maybe. Politically: I wound't think you'd risk it. It could hunt you elsewhere.

Comment

• Re: Renovated Frost

Yes to both counts... technically, it's State property, so you need the BOR to approve of it. After that, it's usually a formality with the Legislature.
                      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

jackrabbit1 is right: BOR and Legislature both must approve. I agree that the Legislature's approval is usually a formality once the Regents have approved. However, it's all but guaranteed that at least one legislator will vote against it. The Regents and the Legislature have to make sure that once the building is constructed, there's a reasonable method for taking care of upkeep and maintenance.
                        Last edited by JackJD; 10-07-2015, 05:02 PM.

Comment

A prior poster said they had heard there may be large donations coming in for a new practice facility AND Frost renovations. A new facility would have to be approved by BOR and Legislature even if the funding for the facility came from donations. Now, on the subject of rennovations, I don't know whether the University has to obtain BOR and Legilative approval for all renovations if they were paid with donated funds...I wonder if there is a threshhold amount under which no approval is required by the legislature.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                            A prior poster said they had heard there may be large donations coming in for a new practice facility AND Frost renovations. A new facility would have to be approved by BOR and Legislature even if the funding for the facility came from donations. Now, on the subject of rennovations, I don't know whether the University has to obtain BOR and Legilative approval for all renovations if they were paid with donated funds...I wonder if there is a threshhold amount under which no approval is required by the legislature.
                            I'm quite confident the need for BOR/Legislative approval on building projects is set at dollar amount threshold, as I believe our baseball field renovations did not need approval because it was below that amount.

How much is the monetary threshold? I don't remember. Though I'm quite confident any major renovation to Frost would exceed that number.
                            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                            - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                              jackrabbit1 is right: BOR and Legislature both must approve. I agree that the Legislature's approval is usually a formality once the Regents have approved. However, it's all but guaranteed that at least one legislator will vote against it. The Regents and the Legislature have to make sure that once the building is constructed, there's a reasonable method for taking care of upkeep and maintenance.
                              What we can't call out Sen. Greenfield?

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                                I'm quite confident the need for BOR/Legislative approval on building projects is set at dollar amount threshold, as I believe our baseball field renovations did not need approval because it was below that amount.

How much is the monetary threshold? I don't remember. Though I'm quite confident any major renovation to Frost would exceed that number.
                                No doubt it would

Comment

Working...
                                X