Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cannon WTF

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    Exactly like the cowbells. (If cowbells were allowed) I assume using cowbells would be the last noisemaker that a loyal Coyote would consider using. I think each school tries to develop its unique atmosphere etc. and I'm not interested in doing what my competitors, particularly local conference competitors, are doing for their game-day atmosphere. (And for that reason, I have a good laugh when some of our Bison friends take their annual shots at tailgating outside Coughlin Alumni Stadium. They take their shots; we take their money and have a great time.

In the end, shooting a canon (and even riding a Harley) won't mean much to me. If it turns some people on, good for them.
    Needless to say, I only said that because I know you, and that you would take it properly. I happen to agree the Harley is obnoxious,but when the Harley dealer gives $XXX to promote his cause and at the same time give to the school, that's a decision the athletic dart meant has to make. It outside of the Jackrabbit nation, the cowbell (when it was in existence) was without a doubt the most annoying noise known to man.

No one has any originality today. I haven't heard your cannon, it I suspect it's like any canon at any school that goes off when you score. Some like it, women and kids hate it, and simply scares the crap out of those that weren't ready for it. I'm not sure what I would do at USD but I would change what we have, that's for sure. I don't want to be like anyone, I would rather have our own deal. You shoot a cannon off in the Dome and it might make everyone deaf.

Comment

The cannon is the Western Illinois Leatherneck's signature. Makes no sense to me.

More cowbell.

The artificial noise rule is a joke in outdoor stadiums. Northern Iowa and NDSU have SO much artificial noise from those domes it isn't funny. With on outdoor stadium, even with cowbells, you can't come close to the dome noise. Unless you get a good Architect like the Seahawks.

I say, bring back the cowbells!!!

Comment

I didn't think the cannon was that big of a deal Saturday. What I mean by that is the one that we had years ago (20+) was way louder then that one. Now, that may be because of the wind.

Just as long as we keep hearing it and often.

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Cannon or bell, this might be the only discussion board in America where hometown fans advocate for less noise at hometown games.

It's a football game, outdoors, for goodness sakes, not the Hermetically Sealed fake arenas that hold in noise and where the PA announcer thinks he is the 12th man. CAS has a long, long way to go to be even remotely as loud as other places.

Jacks' football crowds since the days of Ralph Ginn, probably earlier: Modest appreciation for job well done.

In other news, how would a challenge of the MVFC "artificial noise maker" rule end up if someone challenged Homer PA Guys openly cheering for the home team? Kids with cowbells are not allowed, but some dude screaming down exhortations like the 12th man from the Press Box is okay? JD, what's the legal argument on this?

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
            I didn't think the cannon was that big of a deal Saturday. What I mean by that is the one that we had years ago (20+) was way louder then that one. Now, that may be because of the wind.

Just as long as we keep hearing it and often.

SUPERBUNNY
            I agree, if anything it should have been louder.

I'm not anti-cannon, it just seems a little silly to try to start up these new traditions when we have a perfectly good tradition that fans already love that is being completely ignored.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Really? That's below a cheap shot...that's a worthless shot. You're better than that.
              It was completely meant in jest. Can you think of any good reason why the administration would completely abandon the cowbell as they have? Don't say conference rules, because there are tons of ways to comply with the rule and still include this great Jackrabbit tradition on gamedays.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Got a bye week so have to discuss something!

Comment

Got a bye week so have to discuss something!
                  Bye week or buy week?

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                    It was completely meant in jest. Can you think of any good reason why the administration would completely abandon the cowbell as they have? Don't say conference rules, because there are tons of ways to comply with the rule and still include this great Jackrabbit tradition on gamedays.
                    Maybe because your AD has his crap together and the cowbell thing is totally obnoxious?

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                      Maybe because your AD has his crap together and the cowbell thing is totally obnoxious?
                      I feel dirty saying this, but I kind of agree with Mr. Yoteforever.

I stress the "kind of" because it wasn't as much of the bells being "obnoxious" as it was that the ringing wasn't an adequate substitute for actual cheering. Too often fans would just sit on their arses and ring the bell instead of standing up and cheering for the Jacks like they should. To me, it just seemed lazy and detached from the game being played.

And yes, I get the whole tie-in with being a land grant university, but that doesn't make it a good thing.

Call me a terrible Jackrabbit fan, but I'm happy the administration did away with the cowbell.

Now excuse me, I need take a shower after agreeing with a Coyote fan.
                      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                      - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post

I stress the "kind of" because it wasn't as much of the bells being "obnoxious" as it was that the ringing wasn't an adequate substitute for actual cheering. Too often fans would just sit on their arses and ring the bell instead of standing up and cheering for the Jacks like they should. To me, it just seemed lazy and detached from the game being played.

And yes, I get the whole tie-in with being a land grant university, but that doesn't make it a good thing.

Call me a terrible Jackrabbit fan, but I'm happy the administration did away with the cowbell.

LOL.

Comment

I think the cannon is fine. A giant cowbell would be fine, too. However fans and groups want to celebrate TDs, make noise and help create a home field advantage is fine with me, with the exception of a juvenile public address announcer who tries to lead cheers after every first down and every turnover. We don't need one of those. Leave the job of leading cheers to the cheerleaders, band members and fans.
                          This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post

It was to the point of being obnoxious, and it wasn't an adequate substitute for cheering. Giving cowbells to the band to ring at appropriate times or having a giant bell on the Dykhouse porch wouldn't be obnoxious, and it would likely act as a rallying cry for fans that would actually encourage them to get on their feet.

Remember the old Will Ferrell skit, I need more cowbell? People went bonkers for it initially (it was one of the things that actually got people cheering during the basketball dark ages). Then it got to be overdone (partly due to its popularity), and turned into a bit of a laugh during games.

Or how about the one or two guys who brought a cowbell to games years ago. He would ring it occasionally, and especially during big moments. It got people on their feet and cheering.

Find a happy medium and it would lead to people actually standing and cheering more. Giving just one, single, solitary cowbell to the mascot or a cheerleader to ring at key times would fire people up and get them on their feet.

BTW, if a Yote fan says something is a bad idea a good rule of thumb is to do the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                              With the exception of a juvenile public address announcer who tries to lead cheers after every first down and every turnover. We don't need one of those.
                              Is this a shot at the Bison by chance?
                              "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked4Days View Post
                                Is this a shot at the Bison by chance?
                                I think so. Our PA guy has been objective and pretty laid back.

Comment

Working...
                                X