Cannon WTF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannon WTF

SDSU will have a cannon at football games now. Terrible idea, IMO.

Get a big a$$ cowbell, put it on the dykhouse porch, and ring that thing after touchdowns.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Re: Cannon WTF

https://twitter.com/SDSU_Jacks/statu...79578629783552
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

Get a big a$$ cowbell, put it on the dykhouse porch, and ring that thing after touchdowns.
      Seconded. We are not aTm, nor do I want to be. The cannon is used by tons of other schools. I only know of 2 that use cowbells - us and Mississippi State. Let's be original here.
      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
        Seconded. We are not aTm, nor do I want to be. The cannon is used by tons of other schools. I only know of 2 that use cowbells - us and Mississippi State. Let's be original here.
        I'm fairly sure I've heard substantial cowbell ringing on broadcasts from MSU, ISU-r, ISU-b, and others. As a lifelong SDSU fan, it is a real shame how our athletic department has completely thrown that tradition away. IMO.

Comment

When I first saw the tweet I thought the same thing. I will let it play out and see what I think after experiencing it first hand. I am far from excited about the idea.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Shoot an imaginary projectile across the field (all fans follow with pointed fingers) to hit (ring) giant Cowbell?

Could be cool. maybe not?

Comment

They used to shoot a cannon when I was a kid. Thought it was cool. Glad to see it back!

The cowbell issue is an NCAA issue not SDSU. I miss my cowbell. Still have it. She's got a lot of good rings left in her. Would love to bring it back.

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I hope they don't run out of ammo tomorrow...
                "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Slosho werent you working on building like a huge cowbell for football games for this sort of thing?

Why not have the worlds largest cowbell that rings after every TD. thats would be awesome.

Isnt the bell ringing and artifical noise thing from the NCAA just during play? so after the ball is dead or time outs or something I thought you could still use them. And if its an NCAA rule, why do we hear it on other schools on the radio.....
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

MVFC rule: http://www.mvc.org/manual/football.pdf

Noisemakers. Artificial noisemakers shall not be permitted to be brought
                    into or used in Valley football stadiums. Member institutions shall not
                    distribute or sell any item(s) that may be used as artificial noisemakers.
                    The intent of the rule is to prohibit activities that disrupt play or create
                    unfair advantage. Thunder sticks, cow bells and horns fall into those
                    categories. Non-prohibited activities include the following:
                    (1) Putting “make noise” on the video board
                    (2) Shaking keys on kick offs
                    (3) Drum cadence prior to and during a kickoff that is non-disruptive.

Comment

I am indifferent about this. I go to tailgate and watch the football. If this makes the game day experience better for the youths, then it's a good thing.
                      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

The Rooter King was at the alumni tent for the Cal Poly game, I believe, and you could ring it for a donation. Now it just needs to make it into the stadium.

The cannon is aligned with ROTC; I'm OK with that. But the Rooter King needs its place too.
                        @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                        --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                          I am indifferent about this. I go to tailgate and watch the football. If this makes the game day experience better for the youths, then it's a good thing.
                          I agree with the bold, but using a cannon to accomplish this goal shows a lack of creativity, IMO.

Comment

I'm not a fan of the cannon idea at all. I have small kids. They are in grade school and both hate very loud noises such as fireworks, etc. I'm sure they'll learn to like them when they get older, just not now.

A completely unoriginal idea as well. I will second (or 3rd) the motion for a large cowbell. Why not make it a big deal and have an "honor ringer" for every game, kind of like the Seahawks have for raising the 12th man flag?

That is, as long as we don't have another Texas Tech bell ringer incident.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                              MVFC rule: http://www.mvc.org/manual/football.pdf

Noisemakers. Artificial noisemakers shall not be permitted to be brought
                              into or used in Valley football stadiums. Member institutions shall not
                              distribute or sell any item(s) that may be used as artificial noisemakers.
                              The intent of the rule is to prohibit activities that disrupt play or create
                              unfair advantage. Thunder sticks, cow bells and horns fall into those
                              categories. Non-prohibited activities include the following:
                              (1) Putting “make noise” on the video board
                              (2) Shaking keys on kick offs
                              (3) Drum cadence prior to and during a kickoff that is non-disruptive.
                              Solution: Give every band member a cowbell. Have all band members ring the hell out of it whenever there is a break that isn't long enough for the commercials, announcements, or regular band numbers. Crowd would love it, and it actually might get people off their feet on 3rd and 4. I would guess band members might enjoy it as well, that group has seemed a little deflated the last few years.

Its a band instrument, not a noisemaker. I would guess similar logic is why the Bison gameday app isn't banned by the conference (its a cell phone, not a strobe light! We can't stop fans from bringing their cell phones to games!). Maybe SDSU should get a little creative and launch their own gameday app with a strobe light cowbell. App is free, if you want to cowbell to make noise its a $5 upgrade. Remember, its not a noisemaker, its an app on someone's phone. Nope, conference said no cowbell, so we're not gonna allow a cowbell in any form around SDSU events.

There are ways to work the cowbell into gameday at SDSU, the athletic department doesn't appear to be even trying. Maybe Dana hates cowbells?

I like the cowbell.

Comment

Working...
                              X