Week 4: UW-Oshkosh Titans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 4: UW-Oshkosh Titans

It is time to think about the next game against the UW-Oshkosh Titans. Here is their football site:
    http://www.uwoshkoshtitans.com/sports/fball/index

If there is local newspaper coverage for the Titans, it might be here:
    http://www.thenorthwestern.com/

I think they play their home games here:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=oshk...g&ved=0CB0QsAQ
    Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Re: Week 4: UW-Oshkosh Titans

In this scenario do we pay UW-O to come to Brookings? I'm assuming so. And would anyone know how much we'd pay to have them come up?

Comment

Originally posted by 3ptJackrabbit View Post
      In this scenario do we pay UW-O to come to Brookings? I'm assuming so. And would anyone know how much we'd pay to have them come up?
      We pay them. In the past I think its been the $50,000 range for lower level programs. About 2-4 times that much for FCS programs. I could be off but I think I'm in the ballpark.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

A few notes on Oshgosh:
        - 85+% of their kids are from WI (they list the town and don't even bother listing the state), and the rest are from Illinois.
        - Are 0-2 after losing two close NAIA games.
        - Their O-Line has some size. We will see how their athletic ability stacks up.

I'm having a hard time taking this game seriously. If we are a legit top 10 team, we should mop the floor with these guys 50-0.

That being said, I hope the team maintains a better focus than I will on this game, and that we come away injury free.

Comment

Originally posted by SlapJack View Post
          A few notes on Oshgosh:
          - 85+% of their kids are from WI (they list the town and don't even bother listing the state), and the rest are from Illinois.
          - Are 0-2 after losing two close NAIA games.
          - Their O-Line has some size. We will see how their athletic ability stacks up.

I'm having a hard time taking this game seriously. If we are a legit top 10 team, we should mop the floor with these guys 50-0.

That being said, I hope the team maintains a better focus than I will on this game, and that we come away injury free.
          Hope it doesn't rain.

Comment

Yes, hope that starters are out early in 3rd qtr, and that Zenner's had a record yardage game by then.

Comment

Weather forecast looks great. I expect there will be a great crowd despite the NAIA team. Tailgate lot should be bustling again. Jacks need to play hard, no letting up, much more likely to sustain an injury or lose you focus when you don't go 100%. Hoping to get some of those in the 2 or 3 slot on the depth chart some experience. There is a bye week following so plenty of time to rest and prepare for Illinois State on the road.

Oshkosh will not lie down and take a beating. Their kids take pride in playing hard. There aren't DII programs in Wisconsin and the only DI program is UW. So, if you don't get a scholarship to UW and you want to stay in Wisconsin and play FB you go to Oshkosh or a similar program. This is a high level of NAIA play and they can compete with DII and FCS programs. I am pretty darn sure Stig is pounding that into our guys heads, I hope they listen.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                Weather forecast looks great. I expect there will be a great crowd despite the NAIA team. Tailgate lot should be bustling again. Jacks need to play hard, no letting up, much more likely to sustain an injury or lose you focus when you don't go 100%. Hoping to get some of those in the 2 or 3 slot on the depth chart some experience. There is a bye week following so plenty of time to rest and prepare for Illinois State on the road.

Oshkosh will not lie down and take a beating. Their kids take pride in playing hard. There aren't DII programs in Wisconsin and the only DI program is UW. So, if you don't get a scholarship to UW and you want to stay in Wisconsin and play FB you go to Oshkosh or a similar program. This is a high level of NAIA play and they can compete with DII and FCS programs. I am pretty darn sure Stig is pounding that into our guys heads, I hope they listen.

Oshkosh is a Div III team not NAIA. So they are governed by the NCAA. No athletic scholarships.

Comment

Oshkosh's offense is averaging 220 yards a game and their defense is giving up 380 yards a game...this should get ugly fast.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                    Oshkosh is a Div III team not NAIA. So they are governed by the NCAA. No athletic scholarships.
                    I knew that, sorry for the confusion. Doesn't change my point on Wisconsin college FB. There DIII teams are considerably better than some other teams in many instances. I don't Oshkosh is one of the better ones. It is likely to get really ugly, really quickly.

Comment

They played in the WIAC which is D3 NCAA. The conference is very good that UWO plays as it features UW-Whitewater, D3 champion 5 out of the last 7 years. No D2 football in WI so the D3 teams can be pretty good. I would bet the house that D3 WI ball would do very well against any Midwest D2 team, especially UWW. UWO is coming to town for their Super Bowl so the Jacks need to be prepared and go out and pound them. 49-0 seems right.

Comment

I noticed that Gregor was limping around quite a bit during the 2nd half of the SUU game. Any word on his status?

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
                          They played in the WIAC which is D3 NCAA. The conference is very good that UWO plays as it features UW-Whitewater, D3 champion 5 out of the last 7 years. No D2 football in WI so the D3 teams can be pretty good. I would bet the house that D3 WI ball would do very well against any Midwest D2 team, especially UWW. UWO is coming to town for their Super Bowl so the Jacks need to be prepared and go out and pound them. 49-0 seems right.
                          Those of us who grew up around or in NE Wisconsin would refer to UWO as UWZero BTW... Notorious party school, very famous for their parties, second to Madison. However, what is being said is true, a lot of athletes would attend the school.

There really is no reason Wisconsin has no DII or FCS schools. UW Milwaukee is big enough to be FCS, but they don't even have football. Marquette has club football. I'd really like to find out why Wisconsin has only the Badgers and the rest all DIII schools. Does anyone know? It is the same question in regards to Minnesota. Minnesota Mankato is large enough to be FCS. Why are there so many DII schools in Minnesota? And very good DIII schools. - Perhaps they didn't have the vision and guts of the 2 Dakota schools who went FCS first.

Regardless, as I predicted very early in the year, Oshkosh shouldn't even score against the bench. It will all depend upon how much mercy Stig will show them if they score. In my opinion. - Unless it rains... for those of you who remember Lacrosse. But, the program is way beyond those beginning days.

Should be a fun time on Saturday and a gorgeous day for football. I happen to like blowouts once in a while so you can relax during the game and enjoy the other doings.

Comment

Suspect it's closer to a Nebraska comparison. THERE IS ONLY ONE D-I football school, and it is U of (state).

Comment

I live in Wisconsin and have asked the same question on why the entire conference doesn't move up to DII. It comes down to money, if they move up, then comes to scholarships etc. They are perfectly content staying where they are at, which boggles my mind. It is a good conference, a lot of these schools get washouts from the Badgers, specifically Whitewater. Oshkosh has a larger enrollment than SDSU too, actually a lot of these schools have enrollment similar or larger than SDSU.
                              Doesn't matter, the talent level isn't even close, we SHOULD destroy this team.

Comment

Working...
                              X